“Like sleeping on a highway!” 1 of 5 stars

Announcement
TV just got better!
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Los Angeles
“Like sleeping on a highway!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I am sitting wide awake in my adequate but dated $260 "village view" room 335 listening to the people in the next room discuss the traffic noise...which is surprising given the TRAFFIC NOISE!! Called the front desk asking to be moved. Told they were "95% sold out" so they would not move us a different room, and good luck finding another hotel because it restaurant week. I may not be great at math, but 95% would indicate there are maybe 4 or 5% of their rooms available. I am sad I booked through Expedia, stuck staying the night or paying and driving home; no sleep either option. I feel like a captive in a roadside motor inn, not the 4 Star hotel Petersen touts itself to be. I'm not a fan of giving poor reviews, but shabby customer care makes me at least 95% sure I wouldn't return.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
peterseninn, General Manager at Petersen Village Inn, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Shoppercherri,

I would like to thank you for choosing The Petersen Village Inn and for your time to write the review and speaking with me in person.

Again I would like to apologize for the reaction by the night staff, this is certainly not our standard.
If we had rooms available, we should have offered a room move.
I do appreciate you mentioning this on your check out, so we were able to address this with our team as a training.

As you may have noticed, we did make an adjustment on your final bill due to the street noise.

As discussed during our conversation, we are looking to renovate our hotel and many improvements will be made.
I would like to invite you back once we are fully done with our renovations and get your opinion.

Again my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you may experienced.

Warm regards,

Wonny Rengersen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed only one night on route from San Francisco to Las Vegas, but were pleased with our choice. The Inn is perfectly located mid town and very easy to find. Off Street parking is available. We had a room facing the Main Street and there was a little street noise but not enough to bother you. A spacious room and good appointments. We didn't need, but noticed the absence of a fridge and coffee facilities in room - having said that coffee will be brought to you and is available in the lounge.
The facility looks ready for refurbishment. The service is terrific; everyone we met was delightful. We ate in the Restaurant for dinner and breakfast and both were great. As about the dining package - great value.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cave Creek, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Our first impressions of nice, but old, were pushed towards very nice on our three day stay and we, among many, are looking forward to their renovations. We didn't ask them to put a refrigerator and microwave in our very spacious room with its extremely comfortable bed but we left thinking they might have had we asked. They brought us everything we wanted, wine glasses, knives, forks, napkins, spoons and lots of ice and the staff felt more like family when we left. Their recommendations for wineries and restaurants were superb and several became our highlights for the trip. These people know how to run a hotel. Now, if they could update this one, we're talking five stars.

Room Tip: Check first for deals and discounts. We had a court yard view with a king bed. Very nice.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed one night at the Petersen Village Inn as a stopover on our way from LA to Paso Robles. A nice lodging in the charming village of Solvang lined with these wonderful Danish-inspired architectures and lovely small shops. Our room (Village Queen) was spacious and decorated in a warm pick theme. Furniture was just basic but we loved our antique-style four-poster bed. Dinner at the Inn's own restaurant - Café Provence - was great. Ambience was nice and the food was skillfully cooked and presented. The onion soup, mushroom pasta, grilled filet mignon and warm chocolate cake were all delicious. Continental breakfast (also served at the Café) was satisfying, too. The quiet old charm is probably not for young travelers/party goers but will certainly be appreciated by those who are looking for a peaceful or romantic getaway.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Pros: Clean and a great location, friendly staff
Cons: OLD, very old. You feel like you are visiting your grandparents or even your great grandparents. High price for what you get.
They say they are going to remodel in 2014. Should be nce after that but for now, stay somewhere else unless you want to take a journey back to the 70's or even the 60's.

Room Tip: Rooms on the "village side" are very noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Pasadena, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Not bad, but I expected much more for the price ($225/night after taxes via Expedia). There are several pros and cons:

Pros:
1) Good location
2) Large room
3) Clean
4) Plenty of decent towels
5) Easy parking

Cons:
1) Very outdated - absolutely everything in the room needs to be updated (furniture, tv, alarm clock, carpet, ...)
2) Horrible mattress - sagging, lumpy and well past its useful life
3) Small bed - queen size instead of king
4) Thin walls - can hear everything from the room next door
5) Poor internet connection - this is the 3rd time I'm writing this review due to dropouts
6) Poor service - at check-in, I'll expand below

I likely would've given 3 stars except for the check-in fiasco. When I arrived I was given keys to a 3rd floor room in the main building. When I walked in, I thought the room hadn't been cleaned (tussled bed, towel on the floor, half-eaten tray of food) until I saw the luggage. I had been given keys to a room that was already occupied. Luckily the occupant wasn't in when I walked unto their room. Not a big deal as mistakes happen.

I return to the front desk, the staff apologizes and has a young staff member take me to a different room. I was pleasantly surprised (large bed, flat screen tv, balcony overlooking a courtyard) and started getting settled in. About 5 minutes later I hear someone trying to open the door and open it to find a very surprised woman. She also had been given keys to my room. She apologizes (even tho' it wasn't her fault) and hustled off to the front desk. Soon after the phone rings and the front desk tells me I've been given the wrong room yet again!

Same young guy comes up and takes me to an ugly room across from the parking lot. I was very disappointed after starting to get settled into the (much nicer) previous room. Then I notice the young man is hanging around expecting a tip! Not only has nothing been done for my inconvenience, but he didn't even offer to help me w/ my luggage - and he thinks he deserves a tip! Needless to say, he didn't get one.

So, as stated above, I was ok when the 1st error was made. However, I would expect you'd double-check and make sure the issue was corrected and wouldn't happen a 2nd time (and to multiple customers). So, I was VERY unimpressed by the front desk staff.

Overall, not worth the price (likely would've been if I had been given the 2nd room and not the last one I was given). I'll definitely look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room in the main building
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
peterseninn, General Manager at Petersen Village Inn, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Talaga,

Thank you for your time to write about your experience. We take all of our Guests' comments very serious.

I truly apologize for the mix up with the room and I discussed this with the staff and actions have been taken. This is certainly not our standard procedure.

We are starting our complete renovations for the hotel in 2014, I would love for you to come back and experience the new hotel.
Please contact me directly so I can set up a stay for you at a special rate.
wonny.rengersen@peterseninn.com.

Again I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and I look forward to your contact to discuss your future stay with us.

Warm Regards,

Wonny Rengersen
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stayed here in November and decided to come back in December for all the Christmas festivities. The Petersen is smack dab in the middle of everything. Staff was very efficient and friendly. We liked the 2nd floor Garden Room as it was very quiet. It had a private veranda overlooking the hotels patio and fountain. I would imagine it would be very tranquil in the warmer months to leave the veranda door open to hear the fountain. Bed was very comfortable and bathroom was very nice. Breakfast is European-style: meats and cheeses, hard-boiled egg, fresh fruit and pastries. Not my style, but Paula's is across the street. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Garden King room has easy access and is quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Petersen Village Inn? Share your experiences!