“Friendly staff in a friendly city” 4 of 5 stars

Petersen Village Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1576 Mission Dr., Solvang, CA 93463   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Cave Creek, Arizona, United States
“Friendly staff in a friendly city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Our first impressions of nice, but old, were pushed towards very nice on our three day stay and we, among many, are looking forward to their renovations. We didn't ask them to put a refrigerator and microwave in our very spacious room with its extremely comfortable bed but we left thinking they might have had we asked. They brought us everything we wanted, wine glasses, knives, forks, napkins, spoons and lots of ice and the staff felt more like family when we left. Their recommendations for wineries and restaurants were superb and several became our highlights for the trip. These people know how to run a hotel. Now, if they could update this one, we're talking five stars.

Room Tip: Check first for deals and discounts. We had a court yard view with a king bed. Very nice.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed one night at the Petersen Village Inn as a stopover on our way from LA to Paso Robles. A nice lodging in the charming village of Solvang lined with these wonderful Danish-inspired architectures and lovely small shops. Our room (Village Queen) was spacious and decorated in a warm pick theme. Furniture was just basic but we loved our antique-style four-poster bed. Dinner at the Inn's own restaurant - Café Provence - was great. Ambience was nice and the food was skillfully cooked and presented. The onion soup, mushroom pasta, grilled filet mignon and warm chocolate cake were all delicious. Continental breakfast (also served at the Café) was satisfying, too. The quiet old charm is probably not for young travelers/party goers but will certainly be appreciated by those who are looking for a peaceful or romantic getaway.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Pros: Clean and a great location, friendly staff
Cons: OLD, very old. You feel like you are visiting your grandparents or even your great grandparents. High price for what you get.
They say they are going to remodel in 2014. Should be nce after that but for now, stay somewhere else unless you want to take a journey back to the 70's or even the 60's.

Room Tip: Rooms on the "village side" are very noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Pasadena, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Not bad, but I expected much more for the price ($225/night after taxes via Expedia). There are several pros and cons:

Pros:
1) Good location
2) Large room
3) Clean
4) Plenty of decent towels
5) Easy parking

Cons:
1) Very outdated - absolutely everything in the room needs to be updated (furniture, tv, alarm clock, carpet, ...)
2) Horrible mattress - sagging, lumpy and well past its useful life
3) Small bed - queen size instead of king
4) Thin walls - can hear everything from the room next door
5) Poor internet connection - this is the 3rd time I'm writing this review due to dropouts
6) Poor service - at check-in, I'll expand below

I likely would've given 3 stars except for the check-in fiasco. When I arrived I was given keys to a 3rd floor room in the main building. When I walked in, I thought the room hadn't been cleaned (tussled bed, towel on the floor, half-eaten tray of food) until I saw the luggage. I had been given keys to a room that was already occupied. Luckily the occupant wasn't in when I walked unto their room. Not a big deal as mistakes happen.

I return to the front desk, the staff apologizes and has a young staff member take me to a different room. I was pleasantly surprised (large bed, flat screen tv, balcony overlooking a courtyard) and started getting settled in. About 5 minutes later I hear someone trying to open the door and open it to find a very surprised woman. She also had been given keys to my room. She apologizes (even tho' it wasn't her fault) and hustled off to the front desk. Soon after the phone rings and the front desk tells me I've been given the wrong room yet again!

Same young guy comes up and takes me to an ugly room across from the parking lot. I was very disappointed after starting to get settled into the (much nicer) previous room. Then I notice the young man is hanging around expecting a tip! Not only has nothing been done for my inconvenience, but he didn't even offer to help me w/ my luggage - and he thinks he deserves a tip! Needless to say, he didn't get one.

So, as stated above, I was ok when the 1st error was made. However, I would expect you'd double-check and make sure the issue was corrected and wouldn't happen a 2nd time (and to multiple customers). So, I was VERY unimpressed by the front desk staff.

Overall, not worth the price (likely would've been if I had been given the 2nd room and not the last one I was given). I'll definitely look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room in the main building
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
peterseninn, General Manager at Petersen Village Inn, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Talaga,

Thank you for your time to write about your experience. We take all of our Guests' comments very serious.

I truly apologize for the mix up with the room and I discussed this with the staff and actions have been taken. This is certainly not our standard procedure.

We are starting our complete renovations for the hotel in 2014, I would love for you to come back and experience the new hotel.
Please contact me directly so I can set up a stay for you at a special rate.
wonny.rengersen@peterseninn.com.

Again I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and I look forward to your contact to discuss your future stay with us.

Warm Regards,

Wonny Rengersen
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stayed here in November and decided to come back in December for all the Christmas festivities. The Petersen is smack dab in the middle of everything. Staff was very efficient and friendly. We liked the 2nd floor Garden Room as it was very quiet. It had a private veranda overlooking the hotels patio and fountain. I would imagine it would be very tranquil in the warmer months to leave the veranda door open to hear the fountain. Bed was very comfortable and bathroom was very nice. Breakfast is European-style: meats and cheeses, hard-boiled egg, fresh fruit and pastries. Not my style, but Paula's is across the street. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Garden King room has easy access and is quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We remember the Petersen from about 30 years ago when it was Solvang's premier hotel. It still communicates that Dainish flavor, with the beautiful paneling and moldings, staff was cordial to a fault and effectively responded to a couple special requests. We selected a room downstairs in the veranda area with comfortable beds and several cushy chairs.

Got the impression, tho, that current owners are deferring needed maintenance. Carpet needed cleaning or replacement, decorative wood furniture is nicked, worn/showing its age and the TV was a couple generations old. Landscaping in that area showed lack of attention and building exteriors are ripe for an update.

Despite the minor cosmetic distractions, stay was enjoyable to a large degree attributed to the staff.

Have never understood, however, why underground parking structure only has an entrance at the street while one at the far end would provide more compatible access to the hotel.

With the lighting and decorations, Solvang is a great place to kindle the Spirit of Christmas. Because our wedding anniversary date also falls in December, it makes it a festive place to visit and also a good one to hunt for unique Christmas gift items. Solvang downside is the unconscionable city tax which adds uncomfortably to the room rate, but a Solvang plus is its proximity (couple of stoplights away) to the Chumash Casino with its plush interior and good cafe food.

Room Tip: Rooms in downstairs veranda area were spacious and provided outside seating.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We and some friends made reservations to stay at this hotel at the beginning of July of 2013. Just prior to us ariving at the hotel, we were advised by a friend who called the hotel to find out if we were staying there that the hotel clerk not only told him we were staying there, she told him what dates, how much we paid and when we booked the reservation. I have always been under the assumption that this information was confidential for many reasons, especially security issues.

When I contacted the manager, Wony Rengerson, although she did apologize, she went on to give ME advice on how I should have handled this with the friend that called. When I asked to speak with the owner, she did not respond and refused to have him/her call me or to provide me with the owner's contact information.

The property was ok, the hotel food was also ok but the waitress was rude.

We will never stay here again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
peterseninn, General Manager at Petersen Village Inn, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Mr. David B,

Again my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
And as I explained at the time, your friend called us giving your name, the name of your friends and the exact travel dates. Your friend claimed that he was looking to make a reservation as well in order to join you and the other friends, as apparently in the past you traveled together, according to your friend.

Our reservation agent did confirm at the time that those were the dates that you were staying and proceeded to give your friend the rates for his stay with us.
Our policy is that we will make reservations for anyone that would like to stay with us, we do not refuse any request.

Your situation has been addressed with our staff and will no longer happen.

Again our sincerest apologies for causing any fractions between you and your friend.

Been to Petersen Village Inn? Share your experiences!