“First time in Solvang, got to go Dutch!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
THEATER PACKAGE
Ranked #7 of 10 hotels in Solvang
Monterey, California
“First time in Solvang, got to go Dutch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I chose this hotel because of its high rating on Tripadvisor, but I did find it a little bit outdated. The room sizes are large but oddly shaped with a corner lounge chair next to a picture window. The bathrooms had old fixtures and are half carpeted. Our room faces the parking lot instead of the garden area, but you do need to pay extra if you want a better view. The location is convenient as you can just park in their underground parking & walk down Copenhagen Street to downtown where there's many shops & restaurants. The town itself is adorable and you feel as if you're strolling down a European city in the midst of California! We arrived just in time for the Farmer's Market where you'll find plenty of imported fruits & vegetables. The hotel advertises special deals on their website, but a voucher for free wine tasting is included in the regular room rate which was worth it because we managed to save $8-12 per person. The breakfast is also part of the package so it is really worth it.

Room Tip: Look at their website for special packages or call their front desk directly to speak with someone w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Fremont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

In my many trips to Solvang, I have never stayed at this hotel, although this past weekend I had to make alternative arrangements for a family emergency. I was given a room at $200/night. The room was small, that was ok, it was just me, but the shower did not have warm, let alone hot, water and the shower head was "spitting" water. Also, as the water came out of the shower head, the base of the shower stall started to fill ( wasn't draining as fast as the water was coming out).

For $200, even on a holiday, I would expect the room to be operational and pleasant.

When I went for dinner in their hotel restaurant that evening after being with my very ill friend, I ordered Chardonnay and they were OUT of Chardonnay! Amazing for a place that is in WINE country!!! They did mix two different bottles which they said would taste "like" Chardonnay, and it was ok, but I would have thought at that accomodation that it would be gratis, no, full price!

I'll stay where I have stayed before before I come back here.

Room Tip: Room 310 is smaller of their rooms (cute balcony) and less money, but besure the shower head works...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Palos Verdes Estates, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I were in Solvang to visit friends and spent one night here. The location is excellent if you want to explore Solvang on foot. Reception was friendly and helpful. All guest rooms are one floor above street level, either on the external perimeter, or on the interior overlooking a quiet courtyard. We opted for a Village King Courtyard room (#322) , which was spacious and nicely furnished, with a sofa and chairs in an "L" and windows on two sides. We turned off the HVAC at night and slept with a window open. The bathroom was small but adequate. The old CRT TVs mentioned by another reviewer are being replaced and this room had a flat panel set.
For parking, you have an open lot behind or a garage (not secure) beneath it. Breakfast was in a sunny room and featured Danish and other pastries from the nearby Mortensen bakery.

Tucson AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Never been to Solvang and didn't realize it was so kitchy with the Danish thing. The hotel was clean and neat, but dated. That wasn't our issue here though. I had specifically asked for a room with a view that did not include the parking lot. Guess what? Parking Lot view. That's okay...I got over it. From other reviews, it was probably a quieter room. The room was larger than we had been getting along Big Sur, so that was minor. In spite of the dated thing, it had European charm. We enjoyed browsing along the main street. Included in our room was a wine tasting for two at Lewis and Lewellyn Winery Tasting Room in Solvang. This is the winery featured in the movie Sideways. It was delicous wine and we had to convince ourselves that the gonga deal on two cases was not necessary...a couple bottles would do. We opted not to eat at the hotel and had dinner at the Heidleberg Inn...not so good. Typical German fair, but just so so. Should have eaten at the hotel. We heard it is excellent, but expensive. Next morning, we go down for our breakfast that was to be included and as I enter the room and take a first look sweep of the room as I walk, I walk right into two steps to an higher section...down I go and hit my cheek on a chair arm and my knee on the floor. Lucky for me that the chair was wicker and not something harder. I was okay except for my pride at falling down. The staff quickly came to check on me and we assured them I was okay. As we left, I noticed there were lights around the steps. They were not on when we entered. Overall, the Peterson Village Inn is a good bargain for Solvang and we would probably go again or maybe try a B & B there.

Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

While a bit dated, we found the Petersen Village Inn to be a delightful choice for tourists who like to stay overnight in the Danish themed town of Solvang. By dated, I am referring to the furnishing in the room, even the TV set, which is the old CRT style, not flat panel. Bathroom is old, cramped and with low showerhead. otherwise, it's a nice spacious room with European charm.

The best part of this stay was the included breakfast. Excellent fruits, cheese, croissants, etc. we loved it. The worst part of the stay is road noise that one can hear even if set off from the street facing the courtyard, as we were. Ask for a room facing the back, away from the main street.

In sum, this hotel is a solid Solvang choice.

Room Tip: Upper floor facing the back side would doubtlessly be quietest.
Sherman Oaks CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

It's been awhile since I visited, but wanted to still review my last stay at Petersen. What a wonderful, soothing place. Beautiful decor, a fantastic restaurant with a charming free breakfast and delicious, reasonably-priced three-course supper, hot tea or coffee in the room (delicious teas not typically found elsewhere). And the truly special people who remember my face and my name. This is definitely a more expensive property, but well worth the price.
(Darn it, now I want to go back!).

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street. It's much quieter. The garden rooms are lovely too!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The Santa Ynez Valley is a mecca for road bicyclists, even attracting several professional teams to its quiet, rolling hills. We've biked here many times, but never found a hotel that we really like - until now! At first glance, this charming, warm inn with big comfortable beds might not seem a likely choice for bicyclists - until you look at the details:

- Petersen Village Inn is centrally located, within walking distance of numerous restaurants and attractions.
- Plenty of free parking.
- A secure conference room for bike storage and a helpful bellman to give you access 24 hours a day.
- A free carb heavy breakfast buffet that runs from 7 am - noon, allowing you to fuel before or after a ride!
- And best of all - a regular check out time of 1 PM! (Yes that's right, 1 PM)

What that means is that we were able to get up on the final day of our stay, have breakfast, get in a 40 mile ride, and still have to time shower and check out, with no rush! To me, that is huge! Staying at the Petersen Village Inn, three day weekends will now allow for three long bike rides without having to the choose between cutting a ride short or driving home in sweaty clothes!

If you want to bicycle miles of quiet country roads, come to Solvang and if you're biking Solvang, definitely stay at the Petersen Village Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter and closer to the elevator that takes you down to the bike storage are...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Petersen Village Inn? Share your experiences!