“Good small-town choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Soledad
San Francisco
“Good small-town choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed here for two nights during the Christmas season. The Valley Harvest Inn is on the main drag a little off the freeway, with a medium size shopping plaza (Denny’s, Taco Bell, McDonalds’s, supermarket, etc.) almost next door. The real downtown Soledad is about half a mile north, with more traditional small businesses that reflect the large Hispanic population. If you want a mom-and-pop grocery or variety store or Mexican food, this is where they are.

This was a trip that took me to both sides of Pinnacles National (soon to be) Park. I didn’t have a reservation, but business was fairly slow and I had no trouble getting a room and then moving when the original one wasn’t to my liking. Soledad is the gateway town for West Pinnacles. The Mission Soledad (Nuestra Señora de la Soledad, named for Our Lady of Sorrows) is a few miles away at the next freeway exit south. This was a good location for visiting these places and exploring around Greenfield and King City (I know, you’re wondering who explores around Greenfield and King City. I think Huell Howser would have had a good time.) For winery enthusiasts, several are nearby.

The reason I wanted to switch rooms was that I was first given a ground-floor room with a sliding glass door facing the parking lot, which I don’t prefer for security reasons. There wasn’t a patio, partition, or any other amenity there, just the glass door looking out onto the row of parked cars. I was able to move to an upstairs room in the inner court, which felt more secure and was quieter.

This is a good choice in a small town that is not exactly a hotbed of tourist activity. The large room had a queen bed; a sitting area with a couch, lamps, coffee table, TV, and desk; and a microwave and fridge. The wi-fi was erratic, possibly because of the stormy weather. A nice touch here is one that motels should have but many do not: draperies with inside sheer curtains, so occupants can open the drapes to let in some light without being on view to everyone passing by.

All the staff that I saw were friendly and cheerful, and the desk personnel were always efficient and courteous.

I used the small exercise room a couple of times because the weather that week was extremely stormy, with rain maybe half the time and often very heavy (I didn't do a lot of heavy-duty hiking at the Pinnacles either.) Other amenities include a pool and Jacuzzi, laundry, computer in the lobby for guests, a few books in the lobby (probably left by guests), and breakfast in the morning which included cold cereal, oatmeal, pastries, toast, fruit, and beverages. For larger appetites or other meals, the Windmill Restaurant on the same property, which I first visited on a different trip in November, has an extensive BLD menu. It’s normally open until 10:00 p.m. but had irregular hours Christmas week.

Room Tip: I didn't care for the ground-floor rooms with sliding glass doors. There is a back row of rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Noosa, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed in the Valley Harvest Inn for one night in November 2012.

Tired from driving, we pretty much pulled in off the highway and stopped at the first place we saw. The price was quite high, but we figured we'd be getting a better quality place. This was not the case.

Check in was reasonably quick and efficient. Rooms are smallish, with early 90's decor - and it shows. There is very poor noise insulation and we were woken up frequently by cars pulling into the parking area outside.

There is a small 'fitness room' and a laundry room. Internet is slow and intermittent at best and I really can't say that it worked for most of the time we were there.

Breakfast was an absolute disgrace. No milk, no juice, just a few pre-packed pastries and some dried bread. The hot water was not. Really, it's just not worth bothering with.

The area around the hotel has a few fast food places and a decent sized supermarket, but don't plan on a big night out - there's not much going on here.

My advice would be to continue a few miles down the road and get a decent night's sleep at a much more reasonable price. There is really nothing to recommend the Harvest Inn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Clean rooms. Comfortable bed. Nice pool/spa. The rooms all have a fridge and micro and there is a convenient restaurant right next door and this will be important to you because Soledad has little to offer in this area. Suggest that you request a room that is not near the hotel boiler/water heater because the noise will keep you up ALL night.

• Stayed September 2012
San Leandro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were attending a memorial service in the area and really didn't have a very large number of hotels to choose from. This hotel was recommended by family living in the area. The location is good - close to the freeway (101) and lots of fast food restaurants, star bucks, CVS pharmacy, etc. The Windmill Restaurant is right next door to the hotel and that is how room service is provided until 10 pm. The food is above average and reasonably priced. Both the front desk and the cleaning staff were friendly and provided very good service. My only complaint is that our room really smelled bad. I am sure at one point it was a smoking room that they converted but I don't think they changed the filter in the air conditioner and most certainly did not change out the carpet. You eventually got used to it but wow.... I really felt like I had spent the night in a casino or something like that. The bed itself was one of those where my husband and I kept rolling to the middle (if you know what I mean), not much support at all. We would have asked for another room but they were sold out for the weekend. The room was pricey too for what it offered but again very limited choices in the area. Overall the hotel is probably one of the better ones in the area but then again their competition is nonexistent.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel is a little quieter than the front.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Pentraeth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We arrived at the Valley Harvest Inn late at night after a traumatic experience at a motel some miles away, and this hotel came recommended by the local police. The man on the night reception was very helpful indeed and we were given a very nice room on the ground floor. The room was large, very clean, very nicely furnished and we wished we could have stayed longer. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast, served where the Rotary Club obviously meet, was adequate and we found the hotel good value for money.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor near the pool and we had a very good room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel as a middle point between montrey and LA. The room we got was not well prepared.the beds looked like someone changed bedings in a hurry. We asked for another room and the second room we got didn't smell well although it was a non smoking room. Finally we got a room at the second floor which we found ok.
We booked the roon for 3 guests but when we asked for a third towel for our son we've been told that they have 2 towels per room and they are fully booked. This was far from the friendly service we read about when we booked this hotel.
On the positive side- Breakfast was good, beds were comfortable and the Wifi worked well.

• Stayed July 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

This could be one of the chains that operates a similar place in a highway town at a similar rate. Sometimes I fear the worst when not opting for the known brand, but in this case I am happy I didn't. It is better because of all the personal touches and exceeded my expectations. Little things like popcorn bags in the rooms and mini candies in the room made me feel like they were working hard to make my stay a good one. I enjoyed eating the breakfast served in the local rotary club hall too. The adjacent restaurant also exceeded my expectations. Good option if you want something near pinnacles.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Valley Harvest Inn? Share your experiences!