“Incredible find in San Diego” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Solana Beach/Del Mar

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Solana Beach/Del Mar to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Solana Beach/Del Mar
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   717 South Highway 101, Solana Beach, CA 92075   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Solana Beach
Tempe, Arizona
“Incredible find in San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

This Marriott Hotel far exceeded my expectations. The rooms are BIG, nice, comforatble, and clean. There was alot of noise from surrounding guests, however it was Valentine's Day, so what are you going to do...

There was a slight issue with billing, however the GM took care of it RIGHT AWAY and comped my parking as a way to apologize.

Impecable customer service!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

273 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Plano, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

great location, but under renovation as of 2/5/2014. They tried hard (upgraded us to a suite), but still felt like a construction zone.
PS: Do NOT reserve under Expedia or any other 3rd party site - make sure you talk to the property directly. I had nothing but problems trying to change my reservation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

The hotel is located on Coast Highway a short distance from Del Mar and the Del Mar Racetrack/Fairgrounds. Friendly staff and nicely remodeled lobby. Some of the guest rooms are still being remodeled which made it a little noisy during the day due to construction. Our suite was clean and comfortable. The Bistro served breakfast in the morning and was open in the evening for drinks and food offerings.Underground parking is available.for a charge.

Room Tip: Corner suites are roomy and have a Jacuzzi tub. Rooms toward the back of the property away from Coas...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
socialmediacoord, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Solana Beach. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with our remodeled lobby, central location and friendly staff. I am sorry for the noise you experienced during the day from our room refresh project. We look forward to welcoming you back to our outstanding updated rooms during your next trip to Solana Beach! If I may ever assist with future reservations please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel (858-792-8200).

venice, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

"I've experienced better" I am saying that for a Courtyard Marriott. For this property the rooms are really tired and old.

The property though is in a great location, lobby and the grounds are good and the staff is great just need to get those rooms remodeled and it is 5 start Courtyard property.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for staying with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the location, grounds and staff. We are happy to take this opportunity to let you know we are currently in the process of a room refresh project and look forward to it completion in March 2014. We look forward to welcoming you back with remodeled rooms and providing you with a 5 star stay! If I may ever assist with future reservations please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel (858-792-8200).

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

This was a business trip, the conference was held at the hotel so many of us decided to book our rooms there too. The staff are friendly and helpful, they gave us many tip on where to eat, and other activities nearby. The conference facilities were good, however since we were there for a week, some variety in snacks for morning and afternoon breaks would have been great. The rooms are large and comfortable, housekeeping was timely and done well, coffee provided in the rooms was of good quality, I would have preferred to have real milk, as I have a huge dislike of powdered creamers, but all was well as rooms have fridges so I got my own milk.

Room Tip: Bring your own milk if you don't like using powdered creamers
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed at the Courtyard Marriot in Solana Beach. I read the reviews and strongly considered changing my reservations but ended up keeping them based on my Marriot Rewards membership and the convenience of the location.

I rate the service as average because it was good but not at a level I would consider Very Good. No option for Good so I went with Average.The lobby is updated and the courtyard with the fireplace is nice. The Bistro in the courtyard is not a Bistro...it's a bistro. You can buy items at the counter. I ordered a cup of Starbucks and a Cliff bar for breakfast. There may have been a menu but the room looked more like a nice concession than a Bistro.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the other reviewers regarding the condition of the hotel (sans lobby and courtyard). It's outdated and worn. The walls are very thin. I know you can't expect sound proof rooms but I prefer to not hear the conversations of the people in adjacent rooms. Not just hear that they are talking but hear what they're saying.

I found the beach access to be a nice, short walk. If it took some people 10 minutes to get there they must have been pushing a car. The two nice things about the hotel was its close proximity to the beach and a little restaraunt called Chief's Burgers and Brew.

I'll pass on this hotel next month when I'm in San Diego until they update the rooms as mentioned by the manager in response to some of the other posts. Once they do...I'll stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Plymouth, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I have been staying here for years over several holidays and during other visits to the area. I read some of the other recent reviews and I have to agree that some of the new changes that they have implemented are very unpopular - especially the parking charge - which is just enough to be a nuisance and probably a bit unnecessary. I am a loyal Marriott Rewards Member and try to stay loyal to the brand even when not on business - so this hotel is always for personal/vacation and I do not like paying for things like parking and beverages. The front desk experience has never been that great and this past time it was not good at all. The man checking me in could have cared less if I was there, did not thank me for my loyalty / even though he issued me Elite cards and seemed bothered when I asked him if there was a trash receptacle as I had wanted to get rid of my soda bottle. I was just very uniimpressed and it was not what I or anyone should expect from this brand. The rooms also feature paper thin walls and ceilings so you can hear everyone's conversations and feet moving about if you are on the main floor (as we have been a couple of times) Like some of the other recent reviews, I would recommend looking elsewhere in the area for other Marriott properties and or other properties in general.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
socialmediacoord, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your continued loyalty over the years with us and the Marriott brand. We understand you have many options when traveling and appreciate that you and your husband chose us when visiting the area. I’m sorry that we fell short in providing you with the great experience you have come to expect when staying with us. While we aim for perfection, sometimes we fall short and I apologize, as this does not reflect the high level of service we strive to provide. I have shared your comments with the front desk staff to ensure the issue you experienced with check-in does not happen in the future.

I am delighted to say that we are about to begin a renovation that addresses other issues and once complete we will have outstanding updated rooms! Thank you again for your feedback and loyalty and I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to our outstanding updated rooms during your next trip to Solana Beach. If I may ever assist with future reservations please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel (858-792-8200).

Mat Spivey, General Manager

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Solana Beach/Del Mar? Share your experiences!