“Don't be fooled!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Solana Beach
LA
“Don't be fooled!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed at this place because it was the last resort that I had to head down to San Diego. I don't where all the 5 star comments are coming from but this place does not deserve anything higher than a 3 star. Yes it is under renovation and it is still going on as I write this review! I gave it 3 stars based on the location. Yes it is very close to the beach and easily accessible from the main highway and the staff is extremely friendly but that is about all the positive things that I can say about this Holiday Inn &Suites. I mean really ... there is nothing sweet about the suites at this location! I have stayed at many HI&S and by far this one the worst I have been at. When I arrived I parked at the covered lot they have which is not very big and frankly this location is not as big as it seems on the photo. As I was walking in through the parking lot to head inside the lobby there a was flow of water coming from the piping above and the water smelled. At first I thought it was coming from the pool which is above the parking lot on the 2nd floor then when I saw the color of the water it seemed like it was coming from the sewage possibly from the rooms above. The make up of this hotel is a little strange and the hallway to the rooms are narrow. The rooms start on the second floor and the elevator took forever and a day to make it up and down so I dragged my bags up stairs as I got tired of waiting. When I opened the door to my room it was neatly prepared however it was evident that they didn't run the vacuum cleaner all over the room as I stepped on bread crumbs below the tiny workstation they had next to the TV. The bed was comfortable enough to sleep on however the walls between the halls are thin and you can hear everyone that passes by at night. The room smelled like paint and it seemed like they were still in the process of completing my room as they had a note apologizing for the remodeling so the edges and the moldings were visibly unfinished which did not look attractive at all. If you have the option ask for the 3 floor as it is above the pool area so you don't hear and see everyone jump in and out of the pool otherwise pull the curtains and turn the A/C to drown out the outside noise. There is CPK just down the street if you get hungry and a great walkway across the street if you choose to stroll in the morning or at dusk. If you are traveling for business and you just need a roof to stay for the night then this maybe ideal if you're not so picky and it is just a quick nap and a shower you're after. But I wouldn't recommend this place for a longer stay either head south to Del Mar or La Jolla or north up to Carlsbad for more meaningful accommodations.

Room Tip: Ask for the 3 floor so you're not directly by the pool area if you want some peace and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear BedBuggin,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am pleased you liked the location of our hotel and our friendly staff. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you had caused by the renovations and the condition of our hotel and our facilities. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I had stayed in this hotel last year for a little getaway with the family and the staff and services were just splendid. This time around, we were quite shocked at the remodeling that had been done. They really did change a lot! I quite loved the contemporary feel of the place. The hotel was only a couple of minutes from the fair, which was great for my family. I really recommend this location to those families that want a little piece of a beach town.

And on a side note, they got great cookies for the guest in the evening!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I had a great experience & it was a great new look from lobby to breakfast rooom to guest room. I would definitely recommend to friends & family. Great stay & location.

Room Tip: Third level pool view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We arrived while the lobby and several floors were being painted, that did not hamper the quality service the hotel offered. The room easily accomodated our group, beds were comfortable and the location was amazingly quiet. The location offered a store/deli within 1 block with beach/resturants/art gallerys/and shopping within easy walking distance. Would defineately stay there again. The free breakfast was like most but had at least one item for everyone/eggs, hard boiled or scrambled/many bread choices/pancakes/yogurt and cereral.
Breakfast looked to be enjoyed by large families.The pool looked inviting but did not get a chance to use it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I got this hotel in a deal from Hotwire for $65 w/ tax. Overall my stay with my husband was very nice, it's clean, quiet and free parking. I really liked my stay here and reccommend it :-)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

NIce comfortable room within walking distance of the beach. The room was large and fit our family of 5 very nicely. Beds were comfortable and we had a nice balcony to sit out on. The hot breakfast was just so so. The eggs seem powered and the bacon very thin. Our only problems were that we had reserved a room for 5 but there were only 3 towels and 2 cups for coffee. Also we had to put the sheets on the sofa bed. For the price of the room it would have been nice not to have to call housekeeping for more towels and cups.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

we stayed here overnight because we were going to see a band at the very
nearby Belly Up Club and wanted to be walkable! nice area. nice staff all very easy.
bathroom a little out dated but otherwise good stay!

Room Tip: our balcony was above the car detail shop a little loud in morning
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar? Share your experiences!