“Good - for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Simi Valley
Sacramento, California
“Good - for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at this property in early June '13 on a Mon/Tue. Booked the reservations through a discount online site and this made it a good value. After reading reviews, I was a little worried that it was not going to be a good stay but as things turned out, no worries at all.

The property is well-located and eaasy to get to, right off the 118 in Simi Valley. The lobby is nice and the desk was helpful. Walking to our room was a bit far so we reParked and unloaded the car. The hallways are a bit dark and the decor is a bit dated but not a real issue - just an observation. The room was more than sufficient in size and clean.

It appears that the only options are a King/Pullout or double-double without a pullout. This is the first time we've encountered such a limited configuration option. To ask someone to sleep on a pull out is not practical and to ask two people to sleep on a double-bed is equally not practical. The mattresses in Room 236 were definitely older and as a result, sleep was not comfortable. I'm sure the hotel management would respond that they are in the process of upgrading rooms or we could have asked for a change but the bottom line is it should not require asking. If one is going to sell a room, it should be in the best possible condition or simply don't have it open. If we were only sleeping one to a bed, it wouldn't have been a huge deal, but with three in the room it just wasn't right.

Other observations:

--There is also a restaurant on the property. Nothing fancy but certainly adequate.
--Workout facility is decent - other than being prominent to the world behind a large window!
--No breakfast included in the room price.
--Our bathroom door handle was broken. Not really an issue for us, but again - it should have been fixed before we came in and it was very evident.
--No fan in the bathrooms - ventilation is quite slow.
--Room backed up to a hillside which made it very quiet.
--Upstairs, HEAVY footstep noise began at 5am. Not the hotel's fault but the sound insulation must be very low-grade. The child that was going non-stop needed better parenting!

Overall, the hotel is decent and for the discounted price we couldn't complain. Had we paid full rack rate it would have been very disappointing. We add our opinion to the many that this is definitely more of a 2-1/2 star property. It definitely seems that the discount websites are trending toward over-ranking many/most of the lowest priced properties and this is what one ends up with.

Stay here if you need a clean bed at a good price - just check the discount sites...

Room Tip: Get a top-floor room that faces the hillside
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
tlasure, General Manager at Grand Vista Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel and taking the time to let us know how we are doing. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. We are proud to offer a great product at an incomparable value. It is our goal to provide exceptional guest service and make our customers feel at home. Your comments help us to know how we can improve and provide exceptional service.

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Burien, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Even though hotels in Thousand Oaks would have been closer for us, I chose this hotel after thoroughly reading numerous reviews from other travelers. I called on February 9 to book 3 rooms in mid-May. Based on reviews, I requested 3 “renovated rooms” on the 3rd or 4th floor, with a view of the valley. I indicated that the 3 rooms did not have to be together; it was more important to have the renovated rooms due to allergies. Monica assured me that because we were booking so early, this would be no problem.
When we arrived, Naomi assigned us our first room on the first floor with no view. I explained that we had been assured of renovated rooms on one of the upper floors. Naomi was quite put out by this and said there weren’t any available. My wife explained about the need for the renovated rooms, due to allergies, and I told her what Monica had said on February 9. With a heavy sigh, she said, “I’ll see what I can do”, then reluctantly starting clicking the mouse. She offered us a second room, also not what we were promised. We remained silent, wondering if she should ask to speak to a manager, when she started clicking again, muttering about how she might have to “rearrange several rooms”.
Ultimately she gave us a suitable room. We didn’t even bring up the other two rooms again; it was clear she was unwilling or unable to fulfill the promise.

The room was quite pleasant and we had an enjoyable stay. Family members stayed in the other two rooms, on the first floor. They were also good rooms (just not what I was promised).

Vista’s Restaurant (in house) has several confusing options for breakfast, but the food was good. We never did figure out the difference between the breakfast bar, breakfast off the menu, and the $5 breakfast deal (for guests only).

The hotel has a very flexible cancellation policy, which was also a big factor in choosing it.

When we checked out, we were overcharged for the first night. (We were charged the weekend rate for a Thursday, $10 more than the agreed-to rate.) I looked at a printout of the original confirmation e-mail I had brought along with me, and saw that they had made the error months earlier. I had not noticed it previously, so I mentioned it but did not contest it. The desk clerk made no offer to correct the error either.

In summary, the hotel is a very pleasant place to stay once you are there, but I give the desk staff a very low rating, for not delivering what they promised, and for not even seeming to care. The hassle with check-in was almost enough to ruin the whole experience (hence the lower overall rating). You would think that travelers booking three rooms for 3-4 days would be treated better.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. One side of the hotel overlooks Simi Valley (the upper two floors offer t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
tlasure, General Manager at Grand Vista Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this detailed account of your experience. I am very sorry that my front desk staff did not meet your expectations and follow through on your special requests. We do our best to accommodate all special requests based upon availability. There is no excuse for any staff member to treat you poorly. I can assure you that this is the exception and does not represent our teams philosophy and mission. I will be using your comments to reiterate the importance of our processes and procedures as well as their demeanor. I am happy to see that you otherwise enjoyed your stay. Please contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance. tlasure@grandvistasimi.com
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

It's really not a bad place, but for four people you really can't be in one room as there are only king bed units or double bed units. I would concur that the bathrooms need to be updated. The wallpaper is peeling and dated and the cabinetry is very old. But there are nice big windows and the pool area is lovely. You do get a continental breakfast for free. You just have to get your coupon from the front desk every day. There is a restaurant/sports bar on site but we did not visit it. It is quite clean.

Room Tip: The pool view rooms are very nice. We didn't notice it being noisy or anything. The hotel is ri...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you sharing your comments. We are continually upgrading different aspects of the hotel and I am sorry if your room did not meet your expectations. The upgrading process takes time and we are always working to improve the product for our customers. In the interim I will have our maintenance staff refresh these areas of concern. Thank you for choosing the Grand Vista Hotel.
Green Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Grand Vista is nearly all one would want in a night's stay. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, we couldn't hear anyone in the hall or the neighboring rooms. The front desk people were very friendly. The wifi worked and the TV had an good amount of programming. The only thing missing on my "perfect" list was a free breakfast. The hotel does have a restaurant, but it opened a bit too late for our breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate your business. It is our goal to provide exceptional guest service and make our customers feel at home. We hope you decide to stay with us the next time you are in the area.
SoCal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed two nights on a golf trip with friends. Clean room,good beds.........
Bathroom needed cabinetry rehab,but everything else looked and operated well. This property has restaurant accessible inside. Bar is out
the front door 50yds away. Pleasantly quiet with enough amenities and walkable access to 1 fast food and several better eating establishments.
Even a major shopping mall is walkable distance.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing the Grand Vista Hotel and for your comments. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and found the area convenient. We are proud to offer a clean comfortable room and exceptional service at an incomparable price. We look forward to your return.
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed her two nights in April and really enjoyed it. My room was very clean, the staff was helpful. My grandma lives in Simi and I came to stay a couple of days just to hang out with her. I brought her up to sit by the pool and it was nice and quiet. The Simi Valley Mall is right down the street and lots of places to eat very close by. Price is great, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
tlasure, General Manager at Grand Vista Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am always glad to hear that my staff was helpful as we take great pride in giving excellent service as well as providing a clean comfortable room to every guest. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.
Simi Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I booked a block of rooms for my wedding party and wasn't very happy with result, I'm sorry to say. I live locally and called around to get the best rate. This place definitely gave me a great rate, but overall my guests weren't happy. First of all, if you want TWO beds in your room, you must know that these are DOUBLE beds, NOT queens! And let me tell you, they are SMALL BEDS. More like large Twin beds! My brother and his wife ended up getting a second room just so they and their kids could have enough room to sleep. My husband and I got the Executive Suite so the bed was fine (King) but the water pressure in the shower was VERY slow. You could hardly take a shower in it. Not fun. My other guests complained that their cabinets were all dinged up and shabby.

It's too bad because the Lobby and hallways of this hotel look very nice and we ate in the restaurant and the food was good (although VERY pricey). So overall I guess it was good for the price (I realize that you get what you pay for), but I don't think I would recommend it again because of the bed size, unless it was just one or two people with the king bed.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate your business and I am sorry that you had these concerns. We do not advertise or promote that we have "queen beds" (60" X 80"). We are clear that our rooms with two beds are "doubles" (54" X 80"). We also have roll-away beds available for your individual needs. Had the water pressure issue been brought to our attention, I am confident that our staff would have been able to assist in correcting the issue. Your comments help us to know how we can improve and provide exceptional service. Please contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance. tlasure@grandvistasimi.com

Been to Grand Vista Hotel? Share your experiences!