“Surprisingly enjoyable!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Simi Valley
Eugene, Oregon
“Surprisingly enjoyable!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

After reading reviews on this site I was a little hesitant to book here but I liked the price. Our room was great. The staff was very friendly and answered all of our questions. We didn't encounter any problems and enjoyed our stay. There is a nice little bar within walking distance and it's right down the street from a large outdoor mall/town center. The location is great. If you're not happy, the attentive staff will help you out. Save your money for other things, stay here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was thrilled to see a rate under $100 per night when searching for Simi Valley hotels. But, I will admit that I did think twice. One of the other hotels we were interested in had no availability so we decided on Grand Vista.

Had I known one side of the hotel faces the Valley, I would've requested to be on that side. Instead, we had a view of a tree. The room was freezing when we arrived so I immediately turned on the heat to a low setting. Mistake #1 - the heater/ac unit sounded as if the room was going to take off...extremely loud! When it was time for sleeping, we had to turn the entire unit off for the full evening as, if not, we couldn't sleep with all the noise.

In addition to the noisy heat/ac unit, our toilet ran constantly...all the time. It bothered me that the restroom doors (per fire code) close on their own...but, in the end, we were thankful for that because there was no way to turn off the toilet each night. Restroom was a decent size, sink was plugged and took forever to drain, hot water went from very hot to warm with no warning.

TV was a smaller old tube TV with a blurry picture...not that we watched TV often but it would've been nice to view a clearer picture. Bed and pillows were not very comfortable at all. Elevators needed service...the one closest to the main entrance shook, rattled and rolled....I thought we were stuck...more than a few times. Back/side entrance needs to be marked and lit as it was not clear how or where the "side entrance" was.

Staff was decent although there was a young lady or two at the check in counter that were not good at all when it came to counting money or making change. We were shorted $20 on a transaction and had to return to the desk later. Upon return, it was obvious that she knew what had happened as she didn't question a thing and realized the drawer she made our change had no cash left in it...thus the reason we were shorted to begin with. Regardless, the issue was resolved quickly and without questions...the young lady was very professional about it. Other staff members at the front desk were also very nice. Maid service was pleasant and I could see that they were working very hard and long shifts...or, it seemed that way to me. They were also very pleasant and did a good job.

We did like the fact that you can purchase Reagan Library tickets at a discount as we had time for a visit to the library...this made things a bit more tolerable. And, location of the hotel was very good as well....close to a shopping mall and several restaurants.

All in all, we got what we paid for...well, I would've hoped for a bit more but it is what it is. If ever in the area again, I'm sorry to say that we'd bypass Grand Vista for another hotel as there were just too many small issues.

I will review the restaurant separately...do yourself a favor and don't even give dining at the Grand Vista a second thought.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Valley as, without it, you'll likely be looking at the same tree we were s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
tlasure, General Manager at Grand Vista Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Had these issues been brought to our attention, we would have certainly offered another room and corrected the issues in your room. Please contact me directly at tlasure@grandvistasimi.com and I will be happy to make it right for you.

Travelers are raving about these Simi Valley hotels

Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

SANDI MATSUNAGA very rude and ignorant; she ignored myself and my 2 sisters while laughing with the bell boy and giving us looks of annoyance. Our first room (402) small, smelled, beds were dirty and a stupid tree rubbing against the window sounding like nails on a chalk board, asked to be moved (401) EXCELLANT ROOM. Hotel was not accommodating to finding my lost phone charger in the 1st room. Staff not friendly, no hellos, good morning, goodbyes’ or have a nice day. If you work in customer service, don’t have the patience, have an attitude, then stay home and find another job.

Room Tip: Do not get room 402
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry that my staff let you down. I can assure you that this is the exception to our service standards. I will use your comments to reiterate to our staff that our guest's perception is a vital part of our customer service. I am also sorry that your first room was not satisfactory but happy to see that we were able to move you into one that was. We appreciate your business and hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove ourselves to you and your sisters. Please contact me directly at tlasure@grandvistasimi.com and I will be happy to make it right for you.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Grand Vista is exactly that. The setting overlooks the valley and it is beautiful. The lobby is the first thing you notice. Very beautiful and comfortable. The check in was a breeze as the staff was polite and efficient. Our room (a King) was in perfect condition, large, clean, full of amenities. The breakfast is fine for a continental and the bar and grill is terrific. Happy hour was a lot of fun. They even have the trivia game on screen. We slept well as there were plenty of pillows and the mattress seemed new. There is a 24 hour gym and a pool and hot tub. We will return as often as we are in this area. It is a great choice.

Room Tip: Pool side is prettier, but all are fine.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate your business. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.
Simi Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

First time but stopped here twice over the period we were here. Nice big comfy beds and good pillows. Could do with additional coffee and an offer of milk for use. Staff very helpful and when the coffee machine needed fixing was replaced immediately. Towels and linen changed daily.

Room Tip: Have the first floor (ground floor to us brits!) overlooking the pool
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Great Massingham, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel several times in the past when I come from England to visit my mother here and I keep coming back! It is good value for money, clean, friendly and nice situation. I will come back again.

Room Tip: Downstairs overlooking the pool!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Seattle Wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Had to travel to Simi Valley to present a workshop and the company put me up at this hotel.

Upon arrival I was greeted and registered in a flash. I was given two coupons, one for a free drink and another for the breakfast. I had a late arrival, around 8:30 PM, because the SuperShuttle made the 3 passengers wait for 40 minutes hoping that more would need a ride from Burbank airport. Because the other 2 passengers were the first to be dropped off, I finally made it to the hotel. The restaurant had a good menu to select from, however, it was staffed by one employee who did his best to take orders, bring the food in from the kitchen, tend bar, deliver meals for room service. The room was clean and comfortable, but a bit dated. The television was a 25 in. tube type. The bathroom amenities were several towels, two rounds of soap, a tube of shampoo and a hair dryer. There was an iron and ironing table.

The breakfast room was scheduled to open at 6:00 AM, but it did not happen. It finally became operational around 6:30, and the shuttle to the workshop was due to arrive at 6:40. Quick bowl of Cheerios and coffee.

If you have to travel to Simi Valley, this hotel is convenient.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
tlasure, General Manager at Grand Vista Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was efficient at check in. I am sorry that Supershuttle prolonged your travels and that my staff did not "WOW" you and exceed your expectations. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return.

Been to Grand Vista Hotel? Share your experiences!