“I Really Wanted To Like This Place But...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Continental
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
seal beach,ca
“I Really Wanted To Like This Place But...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We arrive at 6:30 and it was Happy Hour. The waiter asks what we would like to drink, and we said a Chardonnay and he brought two glasses... $15 each even though the Happy Hour price was $6. OK, it must have been my mistake, right? We ordered four appetizers and a bottle of Chianti. The four of us were busy talking and I asked for the wine list again. Two of the bottles I requested they did not have, but the waiter suggested a Pinot. That didn't seem like much for 4 people, right? The bill came to $230 for 4 appetizers and two bottles of average wine. I must have made a mistake, right? I won't make it again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
“More Attention to Detail Needed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

In the area for another appointment, I looked up restaurants nearby and decided to treat myself to lunch at Delius. I arrived a little before 1 p.m.. The place was full of professionals at the tail end of their lunch breaks. The service seemed to be a bit disorganized even as the restaurant cleared; one person seated me, then it took a while for a waiter to "find" me and bring a menu. I asked for water, and the waiter eventually brought an iced tea and then realized his mistake. A waitress came, and asked if I wanted bread; she brought a basket with four slices of warm, delicious bread, and butter. Because I had read here that the food was so good, I ordered the Chef's 3 Course Tasting Menu for $20. I unwrapped the cloth napkin to see that my cutlery was water-spotted. The tomato salad with basil vinaigrette and feta was very good. My entree, a boneless pork chop, was delivered by someone from the kitchen before I was halfway done with the salad. The waitress remarked on the timing with surprise and brought a wood-handled knife. One of its three rivets was missing - cosmetic, perhaps, but I would have kept it in the kitchen. The pork chop was resting on a bed of mushroom risotto. When I cut into it, it flipped up at a 45 degree angle. The pork chop was dry. The demi-glace sauce was just average, but the broccolini was nicely done. Then came dessert: apple pie ice cream, pecan crumble, and apple butter. Maybe I read it wrong, but to me, the description oversold the reality: a scoop of apple pie ice cream drizzled with an apple butter sauce, served with a scattering of pecan crumbles - note the plural! Overall, it was not the experience I had hoped for. I'm giving service a rating of four only because the waitress / bartender was very good.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lakewood, California
“Great food and wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This restaurant give you a great combination of great wine and delicious food. Their sommalier Matt is very knowledgeable. All you have to do is give him a varietal and a price point and he will find you just the right bottle. Chef Louise makes sure that every entree is delicious. Ed the bartender is the best! They have a Pre Fixe menu option ans a chef's table option that I am waiting to try. It is my Friday night hangout and never disappoints.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Depending on the other guests, Delius can either by quiet and intimate or a little bit too much. The lighting and decor is very relaxing, though, so that helps to take off some of the edge.

I went here with some coworkers and we split the potbelly, which was served with cucumber slices and chiles in a nice glaze.

The pan seared salmon I got came with a house salad. Be careful with the vinegairette, which is strong and creamy.

The salmon was absolutely great. It was served in a red wine reduction with bell peppers, brussel sprouts and mushrooms. It was delicious!

I had the apple butter ice cream, which seriously tasted like a caramel apple. My coworkers really enjoyed what they got (the bass and ribs) and didn't have any complaints.

• Visited July 2013
Long Beach, California
“Lovely dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

If you enjoy perfectly prepared food paired with sumptuous wines, this restaurant is a must try. They have been awarded the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence every year since they opened in 2001, and their sommelier Matthew was happy to let us sample his recommendations before pouring us a glass of wine. We must have sampled at least 6 different wines that evening - what a treat!
For our first course, we shared the Pan Seared Scallops with curry, Israeli couscous, dried cherries, and toasted almonds. It was not only beautifully presented, but the scallops were perfectly golden and the couscous so deliciously creamy with just a hint of curry and the crunch of almonds. The Riesling recommended was the perfect wine complement.
For the second course, we each had a salad that came with the entree - my husband had the Caesar and I the Delius house salad. Both were very fresh and dressed perfectly.
For the entree, he had the pan-seared salmon with shimenji mushrooms, banana peppers, brussel sprouts, red wine reduction paired with the Pinot Noir. The salmon was perfectly prepared with a nice sear yet very moist and tender. The accompanying vegetables were generous and also spot on.
I ordered the Free Range-Organic Chicken Breast with caramelized butternut squash, dried cherries, swiss chard, chipollini onions. Wow! Nice crispy skin on the breast of chicken, served with a generous portion of swiss chard and butternut squash. The chipollini onions simply melted in your mouth! It was paired with an interesting Roussanne, but the same Pinot would have been just a good, complementing the dried cherry sauce.
After enjoying all of our dishes, we just didn’t have room for more, but their dessert menu looked inviting. We’ll just have to plan on coming back again soon to try it!
A bit pricy, but worth it!

• Visited May 2013