“We love this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buttes Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sierra City
The Buttes Resort
You added The Buttes Resort to your Saves list
230 Main Street (Highway 49), PO Box 234, Sierra City, CA 96125   |
Concord, CA
“We love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

We go up to Sierra City once a year, to get away from the Bay Area. We LOVE Buttes Resort. The cabins are immaculate, the grounds are beautiful and the owners are very welcoming. We love the gas fireplace, the BBQ and the decks. In fact, we're going there again in the morning. The Red Moose next door is great for breakfast. I can't say enough about these cabins. The prices are so reasonable. It's the perfect getaway. Try it sometime, you won't be sorry!

• Liked — A well stocked kitchen
  • Disliked — I liked it all
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Stockton, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

My wife and I had seen Buttes Resort on a previous drive through Sierra City and wanted to stay there. So we stayed Labor Day weekend, which is our anniversary weekend also, and had a fabulous time. The room was great, the atmosphere was great, very relaxing and quiet. The surrounding area is outstanding for hiking, fishing and photography. The food at the Buckhorn was great. Mike and Lindy were great hosts as well. I would, and have, recommend Buttes Resort to others.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Not a thing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2007

Their website is charming, and the renovation done to the buildings was very nice, But.... Maybe someone else might have a more positive experience. The real problem had to do with the owner of the resort. We were there for a wedding and the bride and groom had booked the entire resort. Our party (5 of us - 2 couples and a single guy) were the last to arrive since we were coming from all over the country. We arrived around 7:30pm, the night before the wedding, exhausted, and with one more person than was listed on the reservation, which meant someone would have to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor of the cabin. We were willing to pay extra. All three of the guys were the Best Men in the wedding, so our treatment was particularly surprising.
From the minute we parked in the lot the owner greeted us in a very hostile and threatening manner. Maybe it was because we had two mountain bikes on the rack on the car. He said 'I know your type, mountain bikers trash the place'. Keep in mind that our friends had booked the Entire Resort, and the guys were the Groomsmen in the wedding. Plus mountain biking is a huge part of the local economy. It wasn't until the two women approached after hearing the owner yelling, that he calmed in demeanor but behaved in an unprofessional and hostile manner. One couple ended up scrambling to find another place to stay -- the only place in fact, a few miles down the road. So we couldn't even stay with the other 70 or so folks there for the wedding. During a deck party the brides parents hosted, the owner stayed on the deck the entire time -- not hosting the guests of his resort, but smoking a cigar (nobody else was smoking), and drinking. In short, the creepy behavior turned everybody in our party off to the place. It's a shame. It is a lovely resort, if you can get past the odd behavior of the owner.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — atmosphere
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
bresort, owner at The Buttes Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2008
As the owner of the Buttes Resort I feel compelled to respond to "beware mountain bikers' The scenario the young lady described requires more detail. The member of the party who was not allowed to stay in a room as an addition or to sleep on the floor was aware of the wedding plans for almost a year as we worked with the bride and groom for that time. Additionally, he was one of three that wanted the privledge of staying for free and overloading a room, not to mention store their bikes in the room which we do not allow. In short, I caught them sneaking into a room and in fact causing problems for their friends, the bride and groom. And yes, they represented a consistent behavior with the age group that rides mountain bikes or snow boards who ruin it for many honest people. So no, it is not a mountain bike thing, it is some of the goofs who ride them.

Secondly, the deck belongs to the motel and guests may use it at no charge. Even the DJ arrival to my suprise was allowed and my wife and I enjoyed the party through invite from the bride and groom. I even shared my home brew beer and placed many photos on our web page. We spent three days keeping the honeymoon suite clean and acceptable for the new married couple in spite of efforts of friends to ruin it by sneaking in and using it. Heck I even looked the other way when numerous folks showed up and used all the rooms the day of the wedding who were not guests at the motel, used the space by my private residence back door as a urinal, and invaded our privacy when they felt they needed to.

In closing, this review I am rebuting is one of a generation that does not like to be told no and wants the respect they are not willing to give and/or earn. I normally do not worry about silly responses as hers but the issue has stuck in my craw. She and hers need to grow up. We welcome all to our place, we will treat you with respect and we will ask you to leave or change your behavior to protect our guests and our property if you decide to earn that response.

Been to The Buttes Resort? Share your experiences!