“It is still mountain camping . . .” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shaver Lake Village Hotel

Shaver Lake Village Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shaver Lake
Shaver Lake Village Hotel
Save Saved
You added Shaver Lake Village Hotel to your Saves list
42135 Tollhouse Rd, Shaver Lake, CA 93664   |
Cottonwood
“It is still mountain camping . . .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

It is beautiful in the mountains with snow on the ground and the sun shinning. The people are nice, but I wish they would change out the shower curtains now and then. There is something in the water that stains and it makes plumbing and shower curtains look grody. The walls are thin and you can hear coughing, showering, and other noises from next door! Nice reminder to me to keep it down! I like coming for the peace and quiet, the walk to the village—very friendly people. I gave it four stars for the management and for the area it is your best bet.

Room Tip: Room 1 is the only room I have occupied.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kevin T, Owner at Shaver Lake Village Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Shaver Lake has iron in our water.......which although is good for you......it leaves a brownish film on everything it encounters. We do change our shower curtains regularly because of this and must have overlooked this room. Currently we are investigating the possibility of putting rock on the walls of the showers (like the HoneyMoose Cabin and our community rest room) to alleviate this concern. Last week we removed all the front doors to the hotel and installed new solid oak doors with new hardware to help with the noise problem. I personally stayed in Room 3 that night and I think it is now more quite. I do have one question for you Sylvia.......when you rated our hotel in December, you gave us a "5" for location. This rating you downgraded us to a "4" for location.......we didn't move the hotel......what happened????...lol.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a great time staying at Shaver Lake Village Hotel. Went snowboarding during the day and ate popcorn and watched movies at night in our cozy mountain cabin room. We had pizza down the street for dinner which was amazing. Perfect location and the staff were very nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Arrived here very late, and the staff had left an envelope with bill and key for us. Perfect. In small towns I always worry about getting there after this office closed so this worked.
First room smelly, not great, heater would not work and it smelled like gas was leaking. I called the number provided outside and the owner promptly came and switched us to another warmer and and better room. Cute woody theme. Clean. All the basics. Rudimentary complimentary breakfast in the morning.
Would stay again. Great rate.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin T, Owner at Shaver Lake Village Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
When we purchased the hotel in July of 2012, we immediately began the renovating and upgrading of the main hotel and cabins. The main hotel was constructed in the 1940's which is the charm......and also the challenge to this structure. Each of the 8 rooms have older wall propane heaters without thermostats. We are currently in the process of replacing each heater with new propane heaters with thermostats. Without the thermostats, the guestsnhad to adjust the heat by opening the older units and turning a knob that was sometimes difficult to find..........very confusing. All but 2 rooms will be completed by next week.
As a small family run hotel, it is difficult to keep the front desk open past 8pm.........especially since we are now offering a continental breakfast which also increased our staffing needs. Although our preference would be to meet and greet each guest upon their arrival, we just don't have the capability to stay open for those really late arrivals. I'm am pleased the posting of the keys for the late guests seem to be working.
We began removing the Formica bathroom sinks and replacing them with our pedestal sinks. It looks much better. My kids and I talk everyday about new improvements we can make to the property.......we are very excited about the upgrades. Thank you for your review!
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Showed up last minute at the Shaver Lake Hotel and the only room that they had available was The Bunkhouse. I was a little hesitant but we had a great time! Please understand that this is exactly what it sounds like "a bunkhouse", a bed and a bunkbed with a queen size bed underneath. There was a brand new flat screen TV and a blue ray player in the room along with more movies than you could watch in a month at the office. My sons and I borrowed three movies from the office, there is no charge, and spent a relaxing evening hanging out together. Please be advised that the heater in the bunkhouses heats up very quickly, before you know it you will wish that you had not turned it up so high to begin with!
The staff was very helpful. We enjoyed a continental breakfast before we headed off for a day on the slopes at China Peak.
If you like the feel of camping with some of the amenities of a hotel this is the perfect option for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Haleiwa, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I don't know how I have been living in LA on and off (mostly off) since 1990 and only heard of Shaver Lake for the first time in 2012 after 22 years of schlepping all the way to Mammoth and Tahoe for decent snowboarding when Shave Lake is a mere 4 hours from LA!!! It is very beautiful peaceful and the folks at family run Shaver Lake Village Hotel know how to make you feel special while still respecting your privacy. They put out a lovely breakfast and are pet friendly !!! The rooms are clean and cozy and in the best location to ski China Peak. There IS an Inn at China Peak and God bless them but Shaver Lake Village Resort hotel is more upgraded. If you want romance you can have your own cabin and be sure to ask for a private Heavenly Hands masseuse to come to your room!

• Stayed January 2013
Morro Bay, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was a perfect place for families, the staff was friendly and helpfull. Just a couple of tips, becuase it is so small the staff is only available very limited hours, so get all your questions asked at check in cause your on your own in the eve. Behind the hotel are great sledding hills and they provide complimentary sleds to use which was a great bonus. The bathrooms need rennovation in my opinion, but overall the place was decent. The rooms in the hotel stay warm throughout the night. The only other issue is that the walls are paper thin, I could hear my neighbor coughing and using the bathroom, not sure what you can do to change that. But I did give it a 4 out of 5 so it didn't make or break my stay. I will come up again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cottonwood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I call it camping only because it is not a standard, run-of-the-mill, cookie-cutter hotel—but feels like a cabin in the woods. All the rooms are wood paneled so they are dark compared to sheet rock! The management is new and they bent over backwards to make us comfortable. They installed new light bulbs in our room, installed a business center when I inquired, and were friendly and available to chat. Room #1 was small and cozy with a king size bed and flat screen TV, plus a view of the trees and hills; the shower was instantly hot. I did not take advantage of the breakfast because it was mostly carbs, but my husband did before going off to work. It snowed on our final evening and it was just beautiful. The whole town of Shaver Lake is friendly and we found a few good places to dine. I will go back!

Room Tip: I asked for a king room facing the hills; it was right next to the entry so we heard everyone coming...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Shaver Lake Village Hotel? Share your experiences!