“Sals, still the best in the valley.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 43 Restaurants in Selma
Cuisines: Mexican
Los Angeles
“Sals, still the best in the valley.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We made sure to make time to wander the backstreets of Selma on business trip to visit the original Sals. We first ate here last year as well as visiting the Sister location in Merced.

My wife and I both ordered a Chile Verdi plate, since sharing would bring clashing forks.

The meat is tender and flavorful. The flour tortillas taste of the grill, not a steamer and the pinto beans are great, although salty. My wife had the refried beans and loved it.

Ask for the green ‘extra hot’ salsa. It has slow burn instead of the flavorful warmth of the red.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Selma, California
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Went there for lunch again yesterday. Had a salad with chicken on it. Sorta bland, but as Im trying to watch what I eat, thought it would be good. I think next time, back to the fajita chicken salad. Obv, cant go wrong with a Fancy burrito. Service is always great and the chips and salsa yummy.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Apache Junction, Arizona
“Great Mexican food but have your GPS ready”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Sal's in one of my favorite mexican resturants. The chile verde burritoe is to die for but make sure you have a good map or GPS or you will never find it. The riverpark location in Fresno is also very good and had great prices for the area

• Visited January 2013
California
“Don't pass through Selma without stopping here for lunch...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was introduced to this restaurant as a kid and now more than 30 years later, I'm still looking for reasons to drive through the area just so I have a reason to stop for lunch. The food has always been incredible, and the wait staff have always been friendly and quick to get your drinks/take your order. By far my favorite Mexican restaurant!

For those who have never been to Sal's, be forewarned it is a little hard to find. It is nestled in one of the older residential neighborhoods of Selma. Other reviewers have described the neighborhood as a little "scary"; true, the area is run down and not the best of neighborhoods, but we have never had any issues parking here or ever felt unsafe. Don't let the location keep you from having a great meal here.

• Visited February 2013
Clovis CA
“Went in but made the choice to leave”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Restaurant was run down. I was concerned about even parking my car in the parking lot. The margaritas are "wine based". Really.... Not for me.
My husband and myself were in the area. We have been told many times that this is the place for good Mexican food. Unfortunate I could not get past the neighborhood, parking lot, smell of the restaurant and then finding out that they did not have a liquor license.
I would never go to this place after dark. Sorry....
The host was very nice. But I just could not do it.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Been to Sals mexican? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Sals mexican, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.