“Consistently excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
French Garden Restaurant & Bistro Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 91 Restaurants in Sebastopol
Cuisines: American, French, Californian, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Pleasant Hill Avenue North
Description: Opened in 2006 to create a welcoming environment for the celebration of community, food and wine, French Garden has become the premier dining spot in the area while maintaining an affordable menu.The elegant dining room, banquet rooms, and patio are perfect for special events, intimate dinners, wedding parties, birthdays, anniversaries, business meetings, and other gatherings - from 2 to 150 people. PATIO DINING is available, weather permitting.The full Bistro Bar at French Garden offers a wide range of mixed drinks, including cocktails from fresh fruit, small plates, and Happy Hour specials (Wed-Fri 4:30-6:30 pm). There is live music on the weekends with no cover charge.
Sebastopol, California
“Consistently excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We are lucky to live just down the road from French Garden and visit about every other month. Our most recent visit on a hot day featured outstanding Mojitos, thanks to the great bartender. Service was excellent as usual and my partners vegan dishes were delicious. I love their salad wrapped in apple rings. I liked my dungeness crab salad but it needed more crab. Otherwise a perfectly wonderful meal

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Nevada City, California
“Surprisingly good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

From the outside the place looks a little over done. The menu seems a little dull. However one shouldn't judge a book by its cover. They must have an expert chef who really understands flavors textures and presentation. Each of the dishes was quite delightful. Service was attentive and excellent too. Wine list was fairly narrow - presumably featuring favorite local vineyards. Overall very good value and thoroughly enjoyable.

Los Angeles
“Garden Fresh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

French Garden lives up to its mission of providing garden fresh ingredients in its meals. The beet salad I had as appetizer was enjoyable to look at as it was to taste. It consisted of an array of deep red-colored beets, blood oranges and dark grapefruit—which collectively contributed to its rich, monochromatic color scheme. Quite simply one of the freshest best beet salads I’ve had! As an entrée I had pork medallions wrapped in prosciutto. I was worried that this combination might be too salty, yet it wasn’t. Additionally it was served with a chunky apple sauce that paired nicely against the pork/prosciutto combo. This dish included carrots and green/yellow beans that tasted crisp and fresh. Price wise our group of 4 all enjoyed separate appetizers, entrees and a bottle of pinot noir wine, costing us about $50 per person (with tip included).

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
sebastopol, ca
“Best Food, Worst Experience... again and again...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Each time I go here, I swear it'll be the last. We just always leave feeling unhappy. Yes, the food is creative, local and delicious. But part of the overall experience of a $120 dinner for 2 on a weeknight, is service and how they make you feel.

We were showed to our table (sort of... she checked that we had a reservation, then just sort of walked off and we followed.) and were walked through the main dining room to the bar area... from the land of fancy tablecloth tables to smaller no-cloth-tables in their bar. Very loud in there... not a problem for us. However, wouldn't you think there'd be an explanation as to why we were being put there for our nice dinner out? When we asked, we were told that the main room was really busy with large groups which we understood. However, no big groups showed up... the bigger room remained more than half empty. What gives?

Wine was kind of thown at us by a woman who was also working the bar. Apps took almost 30 minutes with no bread offered. I had soup, and with no spoon, the server just took my husband's and gave it to me. No knife given for the steak. No checking back. on the food. Dessert was ordered and they didn't ask whether we wanted coffee. Now-- this is a profit item-- if I was the owner, i would insist that my servers ask whether we would like coffee to go with our chocolate desserts. But at that point, we were just feeling so ignored and tired of the whole scene that we decided not to ask for it.
I don't mean to sound fussy... but this is not the first time we've eaten here and just left feeling as if they didn't care at all about our experience. It's a local place, so will try yet again in a year or so.because we do hope they make it... but it is just not a fun or warm environment.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sebastopol, California
“Very small plates, very expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The food is fresh and good. But, expensive. As are the bar drinks. If the bar had cheaper food and drinks, I'd go there more often.

Visited February 2014