“Not what we expected” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We booked a stay based on the website and reviews. Because we did not find Avalon to be as good as others have claimed, and I wish there were reviews that would have given more insight, I feel I have to give this honest review. We really wanted to love this place, with reviews that talk about it being magical, etc... :(

On the positive, Hillary, the innkeeper, was very nice and helpful, and the grounds do have a few nice trees (though it doesn't feel very large), but the room was not as nice as we thought it would be. The feel was not luxurious as advertised (e.g. phone line stapled to the floor, quality of carpet, linens, etc...), though it was generally clean (we did notice stains in the bathroom and the vent was dirty). If you expect a homey stay, then you may not be disappointed. But the property should not be advertised as luxurious. For the price, it is not a good value. There are better B&B deals in the area (like Beltane Ranch, which is beautiful and under $200).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
SebastopolHil, Owner at Avalon, a Luxury Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
Dear Guests: I am very sorry this reviewer was not happy with his or her stay at Avalon. We aim to make each guest feel as if they are staying with happy friends in a luxurious home in the Sonoma forest, and see to it they have a magical visit here. Nearly everyone leaves Avalon feeling as if they’ve found a very special place, and it makes me sad that this guest did not. While they are here, we ask everyone how they are enjoying their stay and their room to give them a chance to tell us if they need something. We offer a lot. We have wonderful linens, carpets and everything. If anyone ever found a problem with their room, we would fix it immediately. We clean the rooms carefully and care for them diligently. I wonder if the imperfections in the natural limestone tiles in the bathroom misled this guest? We have trompe l’oeil paintings on the walls in this guest room which are made to look as if the plaster is cracking off, but we hope people don’t actually think the plaster IS cracking off – holy cow! I don’t know how they missed the amazing redwood trees. We have many huge ones right by the house – some right outside your windows – and more than 30 all around the property are 100 to 150 feet tall. Too close to the forest, maybe? We have a beautiful creek you can see and hear from your room all year. We have a lovely walking path that takes you on a great stroll around our four unspoiled acres… forest animals come near the house and you can watch them out the windows... maybe I have faerie dust in my eyes, but Avalon IS magical! I hope you will come see for yourselves and soak up the whole experience. Thank you!

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

I never write reviews but feel like I absolutely have to for this place.

My husband surprised me for our wedding anniversary by taking me to Avalon. I couldn't have asked for a better place to go, and I'm already trying to plan a trip back there in the near future. Everything about our experience felt so special and personal. What really makes Avalon stand out from all the rest is the family who owns and runs this place. Hillary is incredibly personable and really wants you to enjoy your stay. She will take care of everything you could possibly need. She gave us lots of ideas for things to do during the day, and she cooked us an amazing breakfast the only morning we were able to stay - we had a mexican souffle, baked apple, and corn muffins with pepper jelly! It was absolutely delicious. We also enjoyed meeting her husband Gary and son AJ the evening prior over a glass of wine from a local winery.

Avalon is set in the midst of a redwood forest with a creek just down the hill. It's very quiet, serene, and beautiful. The room we stayed in is called Enchanted Forest and was cozy and homey. It has a fireplace and as an added plus, even has it's own private hot tub overlooking the forest!

I could probably go on and on about the countless ways in which Avalon goes the extra mile. Overall, we had a fantastic experience. If you really want a special, personal and romantic experience, stay at Avalon. Trust me, you (and your significant other) will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

If I could rate Avalon a six or seven, I would. We started our day with a unique, scrumptious breakfast and ended it with a wonderful heated spa near the creek. We ventured out during the day for a canoe trip on the Russian River; a day trip to Mendocino via 128 and then down the coast on highway 1 and had dinner at River's End. Two days in Calistoga and the Napa Valley finding new wines and sauces to enjoy. A morning at the Charles Schulz (Peanuts) museum was a delight.
Hillary helped us find wonderful places to eat in the evening, made reservations and provided directions to get there. She guided us to Osmosis for a great massage. We always trusted her judgment on whatever we wanted to do and she never failed.
We came back many afternoons to Avalon for great cookies, some wine, nuts and fruit-even an occasional nap. Our room was always spotless, the bed turned down for sleep with healthy chocolate squares and we went to sleep with our windows open, our self starting fire place on, and the sounds of the creek. A wonderful romance location.
We stayed nine days and wish it could have been nine weeks, or more.
Be sure to take a Garmin or GPS. You can go places faster and end up on some fun back roads around the wine growing areas that will surprise you and give you pleasure.
ewd

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
SebastopolHil, Owner at Avalon, a Luxury Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
We wish you were here all the time, too! Thank you!
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

WOW!
The hosts of this charming b&b are incredibly wonderful. My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night. They were over-the-top accomodating. We made a few special requests -diet restrictions, check-in time- and they had no problem doing this for us. Though our stay was short, I could have stayed forever! Each suite offers so many comfort creating amenities. I have traveled extensively, I am discriminating, and I have seen the best and worst. Please, take my advice, this b&b, alone, worth making the trip.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

Paula and I spent a fantastic surprised birthday weekend. We were made welcomed by the gracious and warm hospitality of Hillary and her staff. We greatly enjoyed our room as it provided exceptional privacy, our hot tub and the view to a wooded creek nearby. We were blessed with wonderful and different breakfast each morning with samplings of local provisions, good company, and a "locals" insight to excellent wineries in the area. Hillary is a gem who has the ability to be there or not be there when you need privacy or input. We felt a wonderful magic and peace at this incredible treasure hide-away. We plan on coming back year after year.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

We had a wonderful time at Avalon, where we stayed for 10 days. The setting is beautiful, and the rooms are charming, with every detail attended to. But what makes Avalon so special is the family who runs it. Hilary is the best B&B innkeeper we've ever encountered -- and we've stayed at inns all over the country and in Europe. While at Avalon you will be treated like a special guest of the family. Hilary is always attentive to every need, going far beyond all expectations of sevice. And AJ is a mature, communitive and amazingly bright boy who we enjoyed getting to know. We also loved Lucky the cat and Pauka the cockatoo (sp?). We can't wait to return next time we're able to visit beuatiful Sonoma County.

Julie & Mark, Florida

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

Avalon is truly heaven. This was our first time and it was amazing. The property is gorgeous, Hilary, Gary and AJ are amazing people. The atmosphere was so peaceful and relaxing we didn't want to leave. Every little thing you could possibly have wanted or needed was there. We are already planning our next trip for as soon as possible! This is a MUST for anyone wanting to meet some wonderful people and have a fantastic time!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Avalon, a Luxury Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!