“A Hilton Brand Hotel - Really?” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Family Time Package
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Seaside
Sacramento
“A Hilton Brand Hotel - Really?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We decided to take a last minute trip to Monterey and I specifically selected the Embassy Suites - choosing to pay a bit more - because I am a Hilton Honors member and have really been happy with the rooms, beds, and the service at each of their hotels I've stayed at recently. I can't say the same about my experience at this Embassy Suites. None of my Hilton Honors 'perks' were waiting for me (water, snacks, 'made to feel special' greeting...), and the room location I requested in my reservation was not available. The beds were run down and uncomfortable (beds are one of the things I generally really like about Hilton brand hotels). When I told the front desk about the bad beds after the first night she did not seem surprised, probably because others have complained about them as well. The sprinkler head in the bathroom was completely missing - it was an open hole above the tub. Told front desk about that as well, but nothing changed. The breakfast was fine, but make sure you get to that - and the evening reception - at the BEGINNING of the run, otherwise it's a complete mess and there are very few choices. Because it was a holiday weekend, we paid $299 for the first night, and less for the 2nd night - and I really feel I paid TOO MUCH for both! I've stayed at a Super 8 in Monterey back in the day when that was all I could afford, and was wishing I had saved my money and considered it again. This experience, unfortunately, was not much better than that one. I realize they will be remodeling some of the rooms soon, but the condition should be considered when pricing out the rooms. I generally try to weigh reviews against one another and so figured Embassy Suites would be fine despite the numerous reviews mentioning bad beds and run down rooms. Again - it's a Hilton hotel so how bad could it be?? I will pay closer attention to the reviews from here on out.

Room Tip: When checking in be sure to ask the front desk if the room rates have gone down since you booked you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My wife and stayed here two nights recently as part of a coastal tour of California. We had never stayed in an Embassy Suites before but found it to be a very relaxing place to stay. The size is enormous. We had no car but found it easy enough to get into town by walking or taxi (a long walk, but can be done). The hotel will get you a taxi and they are easy to find in town. Our one real complaint was the breakfast buffet. It is virtually inedible. They even ruined the omelet by overcooking and not pre cooking the fillings. Management clearly does not care about
the breakfast served, which is a real minus in the whole set up. We had no car and there was no where else to have breakfast economically in the vicinity.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor toward the back. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hotel is like 20 years over due for a remolding. The TV's are from the 70's. It looks like everything in the room is original. 30 year old worn out and dirty. I loved the Embassy Suites in the 70's but that was a long time ago. The Embassy Suites in Lake Tahoe is in the same condition. I don't know who these people are who are giving this place good reviews. it looks good from the out side.

Room Tip: Run. Stay some where else
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

we booked this direct with emabssy- was cheapest deal.
Hotel is outside Monterey but to be honest it didn't matter as we had a car- it was a 5minute drive away. The hotel is part of the hilton chain. The kids loved this place- aged 8,12,13, so did we. There is a manager's happy hours from 5.30-7.30pm where there is free bar (yes free adults & kids) with nachos & popcorn - we all got full up on this before our meal! Breakfast was great- buffet cooked, omlettes, pancackes, cereal, muffins etc. . The food in the restaurant was good & reasonably priced.
Service in the hotel was good, staff were friendly & helpful. There is a small pool with whirlpool & gym- the pool is cold (perhaps not quite as clean as it could have been) but indoors & the kids enjoyed it.
The hotel was clean. Our room had a fridge, coffee maker, microwave & sink. The hotel seemed very relaxed and some guests ordered take-away pizza & ate it in the bar area. There was little to fault except a bit of a rush to get food in the morning. As far as value for money it was great. Our room had 2 large beds & a sofa bed. We would go back there & certainly look at other Embassy suites Hotels.
Seaside has a beach which we drove to on our last day- its windy. A warning this area is often cloudy especially in the morning and only warms later in the day, even so the sea is cold. There are take-aways & restaurants just opposite the hotel.

Room Tip: we had a suite on the top floor 1201 right next to the lift- wasn't facing the sea totally but c...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I rate this hotel average because that's what it seemed to be, when compared to hotels we've stayed at around the world. The staff were friendly and responsive, but what genius thought to charge $9.95 for wi-fi when most other hotels and B&Bs we've stayed at it offer it for free? I know that Embassy Suites has a free drinks offering every afternoon and also a free breakfast, but with a relatively high room price to begin with, the drinks and breakfasts make the overall price reasonable. The wi-fi charge is sort of insulting. Another negative was that although the front desk sent a repairman up immediately to try and fix an overly noisy air conditioner, he was unable to fix it and so for two nights we just shut it off rather than endure a racket.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side will have a view of Monterey Bay.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was actually here in November 2010 for the American Cetacean Society conference and I had a wonderful time! I went whale watching and saw humpbacks breaching; it was wonderful!

The hotel was great. The food was delicious. My room was enormous; I believe it was a suite! I had a livingroom and a bedroom and I was on a high floor with a view. I wished my hubby were there to enjoy it with me. He'd have loved it.

The only thing that could make it better would be to move it over to the beach, but it's pretty darned close to the beach, so no complaints here.

There's a Starbucks across the street.

This is truly a FANTASTIC CONFERENCE LOCATION. All meeting rooms were top notch. I highly recommend the Embassy Suites Monterey Bay Seaside. VERY professional, efficient staff. I loved it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Detroit, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Standard ES. But starting to need update. Bath tub rusty. Bathroom floor needs grout cleaned. Worst annoyance is VERY old school TV system. No menu to tell you what's on TV.

Staff very friendly. Free breakfast actually good. Happy hour pretty poor. Just chips and dip. But full bar.

Traveling with family. This is more suited for business travel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Monterey Bay-Seaside? Share your experiences!