“Not bad, but not great.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gateway Thunderbird Motel

Save Saved
You added Gateway Thunderbird Motel to your Saves list
Gateway Thunderbird Motel
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   1909 Fremont Boulevard, Seaside, CA 93955 (Formerly Gateway Lodge Motel)   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Seaside
Fresno, CA
“Not bad, but not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

PROS: They allowed me to check in at noon. Free fast wi-fi. Ample free parking.

CONS: The housekeeper uses a shopping cart from Target to hold her cleaning supplies. The road noise is loud. Ask for a room not next to the road. Small rooms. Bed is hard.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vidal Junction, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The Gateway Lodge is next to the Thunderbird Gateway. It was clean and nice. We would stay again, the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Uppsala, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

So when we arrived we had no expectations at all since the reviews here before hasn't been that good. But now, sitting in the hotel I'm plesantly surprised. They changed their settings on the TV just to help me see tonight season premiere of Breaking Bad. That's service I don't even expect at a 4 star hotel. Prepare for an allright motel that saves you money instead of a hotel in Monterey or Carmel. Breakfast is no more than a muffin, juice and coffee but you have a refrigerator in the room so you can get some complement to that. Don't go here for the pool tough, it's green :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Atwater, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Let me start of first by saying I DID NOT READ THE REVIEWS UNTIL AFTER I BOOKED (MY FAULT) We traveled 6/24-6/25...My husband goes in to get the key around noon...which was early, but we figured...hey, maybe they will have a room that was done, which to our surprise was the case. So my two kids (ages 6,7) and my husband and I go upstairs, and as i put in the key card, and open the door, there is a horrible smell of body odor and smoke, clothes and sheets spread everywhere and a pack of marlboro's on the table right next to a HUGE sack of marajuana. I push my kids back and hurry back downstairs to let the owner know she gave us the wrong key. She then proceeds to inform us she didnt know we had kids (which there was a 10 dollar per kid/person extra charge which i was trying to avoid (hahahaha)..so i then proceed to tell her we will all sleep in the same bed...AND THERE WAS SMOKE AND POT IN YOUR HOTEL ROOM, which she didnt care at all(even considering ALL the rooms are smoke free), just gave us another key. A few hours later I go to get more towels because there was only two...and they smelled so we used them for the bathroom floor. The lady at the front was really nice, and a bit older so i patiently waited as she asked me about 4 times what room i was in (like im going to steal her towels) . The language barrier didnt help, but she did search for them before calling the guy from the neighboring hotel (family run) to grab me 4 towels...which he AGAIN verified my room #, stormed out, slamming the door and came back with four towels. I rushed back upstairs and needless to say we left for the night, came back to sleep. The only good thing is the mattress is very comfy. Oh, and the the wifi doesnt work, the shower floods, the toilet is loose, and the rooms smell like rotten burnt indian food mixed with God knows what. We were woken up around midnight to people fighting, car doors slamming, people storming through the halls, and peeling out of the property. PLEASE listen to the reviews, because they are 100% truthful in saying all the negatives. I do not think this motel is worth the 57 bucks i spent, I do know this is monterey...but I have gotten good deals where the owner is very respectful and maintains his property, and takes pride in it. And please...do not bring your children. PS...the pool IS green!!!

Room Tip: STAY OFF FREMONT and stay away from the Thunderbird Gateway!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Firstly let me be clear: I'm not someone who expects a 5* hotel at 1* prices. The proprietor charged us $150 for one night (we were desperate for any room at that time of night, so we took it...) but clearly he 'saw us coming' so to speak and ripped us off - a 5* hotel in Vegas costs less than this place. Usual price seems to be about $35 per night.

Cockroach on the floor, cat biscuits behind the beds, haven't been cleaned clearly for a number of months possibly years, STANK of urine. I think the bedsheets were clean but the pillows definitely weren't. Suspicious stains on the floor. Telephone and lamps not even wired in (no cables connecting them to anything??!) and the curtains don't open at all (I kid you not).

To it's credit, I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep that night due to being in the Red Light District of Monterey (which is a dump in general...) however I was pleasantly surprised when I slept like a baby! ...Though that's probably due to the copious amount of alcohol I drank so that didn't jump in front of a car thinking about this place. Horrid! Monterey Town isn't much better.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed here for about half a night during a holiday which involved travelling around Nevada and California. Due to it being extremely busy in the area at the time and after trying several other hotels, we considered ourselves fortunate when we were told that there was one remaining vacancy at the Thunderbird. How wrong we were...
Most of the limited facilities that were offered were of absolutely no use and in some cases dangerous. Examples included a telephone with no means of connection to electricity at all, a television with a wire but no plug, a fire-damaged smoke alarm that presumably did not work and a chair that had considerable damage to two of its legs and could therefore not be used.
The linen was unclean (you could tell this by the smell of body odour on the bed sheets and pillows) and there were several stains throughout the room, including the carpet, curtains and bedding. There was also what can only be described as some sort of cat food underneath one of the beds. This of course created a rancid stench in the room, and explained why we thought we saw a cockroach in the reception area. There was also apparent insect faeces in the "sterilised" cup provided next to the sink.
Our complaints got us nothing but a rant in another language by the disgusting landlord who was sporting nothing but jogging bottoms with several holes in them, so we decided to cut our losses and sleep in the car instead.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another motel. If you are really desperate, sleep in the car.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Ventura, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Pool locked up, office locked up when they say they will open for coffee, nothing like in room coffee, iron & ironing board, clock radio. Did have a refrigerator that made a whirring noise.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Gateway Thunderbird Motel? Share your experiences!