“Worst motel ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gateway Thunderbird Motel

You added Gateway Thunderbird Motel to your Saves list
Gateway Thunderbird Motel
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   1909 Fremont Boulevard, Seaside, CA 93955 (Formerly Gateway Lodge Motel)   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Seaside
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Worst motel ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Firstly let me be clear: I'm not someone who expects a 5* hotel at 1* prices. The proprietor charged us $150 for one night (we were desperate for any room at that time of night, so we took it...) but clearly he 'saw us coming' so to speak and ripped us off - a 5* hotel in Vegas costs less than this place. Usual price seems to be about $35 per night.

Cockroach on the floor, cat biscuits behind the beds, haven't been cleaned clearly for a number of months possibly years, STANK of urine. I think the bedsheets were clean but the pillows definitely weren't. Suspicious stains on the floor. Telephone and lamps not even wired in (no cables connecting them to anything??!) and the curtains don't open at all (I kid you not).

To it's credit, I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep that night due to being in the Red Light District of Monterey (which is a dump in general...) however I was pleasantly surprised when I slept like a baby! ...Though that's probably due to the copious amount of alcohol I drank so that didn't jump in front of a car thinking about this place. Horrid! Monterey Town isn't much better.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed here for about half a night during a holiday which involved travelling around Nevada and California. Due to it being extremely busy in the area at the time and after trying several other hotels, we considered ourselves fortunate when we were told that there was one remaining vacancy at the Thunderbird. How wrong we were...
Most of the limited facilities that were offered were of absolutely no use and in some cases dangerous. Examples included a telephone with no means of connection to electricity at all, a television with a wire but no plug, a fire-damaged smoke alarm that presumably did not work and a chair that had considerable damage to two of its legs and could therefore not be used.
The linen was unclean (you could tell this by the smell of body odour on the bed sheets and pillows) and there were several stains throughout the room, including the carpet, curtains and bedding. There was also what can only be described as some sort of cat food underneath one of the beds. This of course created a rancid stench in the room, and explained why we thought we saw a cockroach in the reception area. There was also apparent insect faeces in the "sterilised" cup provided next to the sink.
Our complaints got us nothing but a rant in another language by the disgusting landlord who was sporting nothing but jogging bottoms with several holes in them, so we decided to cut our losses and sleep in the car instead.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another motel. If you are really desperate, sleep in the car.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Ventura, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Pool locked up, office locked up when they say they will open for coffee, nothing like in room coffee, iron & ironing board, clock radio. Did have a refrigerator that made a whirring noise.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Seaside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

I recently stayed at the Gateway for the months of April and May of this year. The room that I rented was given to me at a reasonable rate on a monthly basis. For the most part my stay was comfortable. In other words, I can't complain. As usual the owners were friendly and helpful if I had any requests. Prior to my departure they did ask if I could give them a review and here it is. I'm one of those that's not hard to please. I would rent from them again if need be.

Room Tip: Call in advance or go online.
Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
San Mateo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

stay away!!! this is a smelly, dirty, rude, and disgusting place to stay. there are plenty of other inexpensive places to lodge. i'm rating this less than zero, we booked on priceline and they didn't live up to their amenities. plus they don't even wash their linen. it smell and the towels felt like sand paper! please don't stay here, don't support poor services and quality.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

I always try and stay at the smaller hotels to give the little guys a chance. In Seaside for example, there is not much do to and many smaller hotels. The proprieter is an affable fellow, but he seems to misunderstand the concept of quiet. I requested a quiet room. He gave me an upstairs room off the main path, yeah. However, it is 11:00 PM. The people next door have a barking dog. Two rooms across the hall were just occupied, so I am listening to people lumber up the stairs with luggage from the parking lot below. Complaining does nothing because "that is the nature" of the hotel business. So beware if you think you might want to go to bed early while on a business trip.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

nice place . .. what can i say . im not hard to please . if yer rich folks , dont pull in . i like the place i would stay there again .. what else can i say ? the matress was comfy . its a good place .. grab a twelve pace and a pizza and settle down for the nite .

• Stayed January 2007, traveled solo

Been to Gateway Thunderbird Motel? Share your experiences!