“I'd try again” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Villa   |   333 First Street, Seal Beach, CA 90740-5984   |
Taubate, SP
“I'd try again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

On December 16th of 2011 I arrived in LA to spend one month to study English and I had no idea where was the place I would go to sleep. In my possession I had just the address and I gave it to the shutter driver who got me there. Fot the first sight I liked the place. It was ( and it is) wooded and I was very well received by the front desk guys. They are very attencious!!!They provided me with my keys, maps and other stuffs I'd use in oakwood and then went to my room. It's good to remember that I was sharing the room with more three girls. So, the appartement is large and the one I got had a huge blemish on the carpet but the rest was sparkly clean. It has a good bathroom with bathtube hot water everyday.
The kitchen is small but equipped with dishwasher, oven, microwave oven, silverwares and everything you need to cook since you are closer to supermarkets and good stores.
Oakwood Apartments Long Beach Marina is very well located and near to good stores and restaurants and also bus station if the places you need to go is near and not so distant otherwise it would be good to rent a car.
There's a nice TV in the living room with cable TV and nice channels to watch.
Cleaning ladies visit the appartments once a week but if you need to clean it more than this there're vaccun cleaner and some cleaning products.
You can count on a laundry room and it's very easy to use, no big deal, you just need to be alert with the time it open and close.
They provide wireless internet, it's good and fast or you can go to use the computer room near the front desk.
Quality of my sleep. That's a point I'd like to express about oakwood. My room was near to the window and when the sun raise the morning bright come into my room and right to my face. Just the window shutter wasn't necessary to block out the morning brightness on my face. The bed is confortable and good size adn I had space enough to put away all my stuffs. another good point is that If you rent a car there's no problem with finding a place to park it, I had no problem with that. You can orther food, like a pizze and the delivery guy can go todelivery it right on your door. I did it once!
I recomend oakwood for families, single person and a group pf people whom want to share an appartment. I'd try it again in another place in US or in other country.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank jaqueromanobr

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We are an Australian family who travelled the California. We settled for 7 nights in this apartment over the Christmas/ New Year period. The two bedroom apartment was great, we had a full kitchen and the facilities were great, pool, tennis courts. The apartment was a close drive to Huntington Beach, about a 20 minute drive to Disneyland and about 45 minute drive to Universal Studios.
We felt safe whilst staying at this apartment, the parking complex was secure.
I would recommend this apartment to people who require a place that they want to settle for a few days or more away from the tourist areas. You will need a car if you stay here, so you can get around and see the beaches.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Just back from a two week stay at the Oakwood for work. For the same price as a hotel in this area you get a fully equipted kitchen, super comfortable one bedroom apartment with excellent king bed, TVs, stereo, etc. Big pool, jacuz, beach volley ball and tennis courts, cleaners on premises, easy, secure parking. Attentive and professional staff.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeff C
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I have been staying in Oakwood Apartments all around Asia and I loved each of one of them. I had the same expectations from this one but it fell short. 10 buildings each with 3 floors with first come first served parking. The infrastructure of the whole property seems great however, the phones, and lights were not working in our apartment. We stayed for 2 nights and didnt like it as much as we liked the other properties. I wish they improved the look of the place. The location was in a peaceful area, close to convenience stores and restaurants. Staff was a little slow at checking us in and solving the hardware issues in the house. Overall it was a little disappointing since we expected a lot more from Oakwood

Room Tip: There is only 3 floors in each building so there is not much you can do about a top floor view but y...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank AnirudhJhunjhunwala
Seal Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

We are currently at Oakwood for a 10 month period. It's great! They offer furnished or unfurnished apartments for short or longer terms. So our guests can stay here as hotel guests just next to us.

Apartments are of good quality in general. Voices from outside can be heard inside quite well, but we don't mind this. Generally it is peaceful here.

All the outside areas are maintained really well, they are even better than shown in the pictures.The beach is a 10min walk away, so is Seal Beach's idyllic Main Street with many good restaurants + a grocery store. The gym is well equipped. Internet access works well for us.Breakfast is ok, nice atmosphere even though there is a little selection.

Many places of interest in the LA area are quite near - LAX and downtown about a half hour from here, Disneyland about 20 min.

Any problems or questions we have had have been dealt with by the management right away. In our opinion service has been good and friendly.

Ok, if your looking for an original hotel, this is not the place for you. But for good quality living in a safe environment it does the job very well. We were recommended to come here and are really happy that we did.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank VelmaL
Kingston, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Here is what is good. The property is in a good location, you can walk to the beach and a few restaurants. It has about ten 3-story buildings with apartments which seem to be more than 40 years old. They were renovated except the windows and they are well maintained and the grounds are nicely kept with a large swimming pool, tennis court, childplay area etc. There is a security gate around the property. The beds and furniture were comfortable and the kitchen is good. The staff are friendly.

Here is what is not good: It was not easy to book because the staff did not return phone calls and did not respond to my e-mail. We needed a new lightbulb and towls and asked the front desk. They said they would send someone to the unit but they never did. The laundry card system is expensive and not convenient to use. The property had some road noise, it would be worse nearer the edge of the property.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank leonardshore
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed here for a couple of weeks for a summer university program. The location is great. Walking distance to the beach and restaurants. Near bus stops. I didn't need a car. Not something you can often say in Southern California.

On the downside, there was zero charm. Everything was functional but cookie cutter. The free breakfast was inedible, the coffee makers in the apartments were of the American "basket filter" ilk, the laundry card system was designed to rip you off just enough to make you unhappy, the Internet system was annoying, and the overall lack of decor was dispiriting.

If you need something in the area and get a good deal, go, but don't get your hopes up. This isn't the place of hopes and dreams.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
4.0 of 5 stars 1,444 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Seal Beach
BEST WESTERN Golden Sails Hotel
Hyatt Centric The Pike Long Beach

Been to Oakwood Apartments Long Beach Marina? Share your experiences!