“Affordable and lovely” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Scotts Valley
Madison, Wisconsin
“Affordable and lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I booked 9 rooms for a business meeting at this hotel, it was great. Service was outstanding, had a small hiccup with the room key system, however it was handled quickly and efficiently. Rooms were clean and updated, plenty large for one or two people. The location was awesome as it's close to San Jose and Santa Cruz with better room rate then either city. Would definitely recommend, though plan for a little traffic as long as construction is going on the 17.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room with a view other than the parking lot and for the money, the suites are wort...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear gd_grrrl,

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the opportunity to service the needs of your group and value your business. It’s great to hear that your business meetings went well and that the service levels and guestrooms were to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. If there is anything we can do to enhance our services, please let us know.

Rich Higdon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
San Bernardino, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

Came in for my son's graduation from UCSC. Rented 3 rooms for our party. Lovely hotel, friendly staff, nice rooms. EACH ROOM had trouble with the key card for the door - had to be recoded several times. Front desk was nonresponsive when we called because the coffee had not been re-supplied. Then we came back at the end of a 10 day to find our room had not been cleaned and it took an hour to get it cleaned. Nice hotel with lots of charm for a large facility but they have some issues to resolve.

Dear Dan4093,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize that there were issues with the room keys during your stay. We had just implemented a new key system and were having a couple of intermittent problems that have since been resolved. We make every effort to ensure our hotel and guest rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards to I apologize that one day your room was not cleaned. I have shared your review with our housekeeping team to ensure this does not happen in the future. We hope to see you return again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful, clean rooms! Hotel staff was over-the-top friendly! The breakfast foods selection was amazing! Thank you to the young man at breakfast (a staff member) who recommended we do the 17 mile driving tour thru Pebble Beach, which we did. You will not be disappointed with a stay at this luxurious hotel, I promise!

Dear LKJT,

Thank you for the gracious review. I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and that our hotel staff made you feel at home. We recently updated the menu at our restaurant, so it’s great to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast selection. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you’re in the area.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I'm a Hilton Honors Silver member, so I obviously like the Hilton brand, and will stay with them whenever I can. I converted points from my Hilton Grand Vacations Club account and booked a nice room for 2 days while near Santa Cruz, but came away feeling that the hotel had let me down or maybe I didn't feel like it lived up to the other hotels within the brand.

When I arrived in the valet area at the front door, there was no one there to greet me, take the bags out of the trunk, or take the car. I had to pull up, shut the car off, empty my suitcases and search inside for someone to take the car. Not a good first impression.

After I had dragged my suitcases to the front desk, there was no one to take my bags to my room (I usually turn this down and do it myself), but I wasn't even asked, and again I looked around - there was not a bellman or porter in sight. I arrived at the hotel at around 3:30 pm, so where was everyone? Not a good second impression.

In the morning I went out around 9am to go to Safeway and buy some fresh fruit and water to keep in the room, and I saw that the room cleaners were lined up and down the hall starting to clean the rooms where they could. I still had my "do not disturb" sign out since I was coming back in a few minutes and went out to do my errands. I left the room and removed the sign around 11am and went out for 4.5 hours for lunch and a wine tasting in Santa Cruz. When I returned, the room had not been made up yet so I called and asked when the room would be cleaned and was told that my request would be a priority. After an hour waiting, and it now getting close to 4:30 pm, I had to call again to have someone come and make up the room since I wanted to take a short nap before going out for dinner (I had just arrived on the West Coast from the Middle East, so the 11 time zone difference was started to wear on me... :) )

Two maids finally showed up, but didn't knock, and didn't announce themselves. Fortunately, they couldn't get in because of a bad electronic key or lock on the door, or they would have just walked in on me, which could have proved quite embarrassing if I had been in the washroom or changing clothes. I honestly don't know if they were paying any attention at all, since I have never been anywhere where they didn't at least knock first before entering a room.

So those were my gripes for these two days. The hotel seems to be well kept, and I think the entire hotel was full each night I was there, but I'm still trying to figure out where all the normal customer service people were hiding. Maybe the place is run by robots and they were re-charging their batteries. I didn't ask, as I was still too tired to argue with anyone, but this was an entirely different Hilton experience that was I am used to having at any of their brands around the world.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Schneiderttu,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I would like to sincerely apologize that you experienced an undesirable level of customer service during your stay. The items described are not typical at our hotel and I have discussed them with our team. We hope you’ll consider staying with us again the next time you’re in the area.

Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I recently had the pleasure to stay at this hotel while visiting the Santa Cruz area. The front desk staff was extremely nice and I was one of the lucky ones upgraded into a suite! The hotel sits on a hill and seems to be in the middle of the forest (even though it's right off of the highway). I didn't hear any traffic noise at all! The room was nice and clean with easy access to the parking lot. Breakfast was really good and I would highly recommend the whole wheat pancakes! The waiters and waitresses seemed a little inexperienced though and that could definitely cause some frustrations.

The unlucky part of the trip was the fact that there was a wedding party on one of the evenings of my visit. The party was horribly loud and they consumed every square inch of the pool and hot tub. Fortunately, I think the hotel did a satisfactory job of cutting them off around 10:30pm. I would highly recommend NOT staying in a room in close proximity to the pool as I would assume it can get noisy quite often. Luckily I was not too close to the pool. On a side note, the A/C unit in our room was very noisy.

Overall, I would stay here again based on service, cleanliness, and seclusion!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Schneiderttu,

Thank you for the gracious review about your recent stay at Hilton Santa Cruz/Scotts Valley. I am glad you were able to experience our warm Hilton hospitality and that you enjoyed the suite upgrade. I will speak with our restaurant wait-staff to ensure they are offering our guests superior service. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Clean room, great staff. I was told 10 minutes drive from the ocean.
My wife, my children and I enjoyed our stay. Kids enjoyed the pool.
Nice mountain/forest surroundings.

Dear Mp_us,

Thanks for your review! It’s great to hear that you and your family had a nice stay with us. I’m glad you were able to spend time by the pool and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. We hope to see you return again soon.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I travel quite frequently on both business and pleasure and try to make Hilton properties my first choice for lodging. I was not disappointed in this Santa Cruz property.

Without a doubt, this is one of the best Hilton hotels that I have ever stayed at. The location, architecture, rooms, and staff were a perfect end to our vacation. Thanks Hilton Santa Cruz. I will return in the future.

Room Tip: Try for a 4th floor room on the back of the hotel. This is on a mountainside, so you can walk out o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear TomSIU,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the gracious review. We are honored that we are one of your favorite Hilton properties. If there is anything we can do to make your future stays more enjoyable, please let us know. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Rich Higdon

Been to Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley? Share your experiences!