“The hotel scored nicely” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Scotts Valley
Cambria, California
“The hotel scored nicely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

The purpose of this trip was to explore nearby redwood tree state parks. This hotel seemed conveniently located for the redwood experience.

Yes, we will return, it was that satisfactory and quiet.The women at the front desk greeted us as if we were friends. The room was remodeled with nice colors and tiles. Comfy bed. Slept well.

As always, my goal is a clean, comfortable, and affordable space where I can bring my senior-citizen cat. He is the usual barometer as to the room's cleanliness. If it's "stinky," the cat reacts and is unnerved through the stay...making us unnerved. (What are we not seeing and smelling???) Mouser approved and acted as if he owned the joint (we always cover room furniture, etc., with blankets that we bring and he travels with).

Nearby eating places were adequate, although the best meal was food we bought at a natural store in Boulder Creek, and brought back to our room.

An other complaint about the small breakfast room--I disagree. It was adequate. But then, we were up early before the crowds. Typical "free" breakfast that rates a C. It's not a Ritz-Carlton...and the RC doesn't offer a complimentary breakfast with their extraordinarily priced (but wonderful) rooms.

Yes, the parking spaces are tiny, but get real, complainers. There isn't a whole lot of property there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Ripon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Best Western Plus Inn Scotts Valley provided just what we needed for our two-day stay at the coast. The hotels along the shore were either unavailable or too expensive for our budget. Scotts Valley is just a hop, skip, and jump from Santa Cruz and we were thrilled with the cleanliness of our room, the pool, and the EXCELLENT complimentary breakfast complete with sausage and scrambled eggs!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Booked this hotel for our trip to Roaring Camp to see Thomas the Tank. Great, close proximity to the event. Comfortable beds, quiet and good AC in the room. Hotel is a bit dated, but well priced for the area. Nice clean pool that was a very good temperature. Can't beat the added bonus of free continental breakfast.

We will definitely stay here again for our next trip to Roaring Camp. Oh and if you drive anything larger then a Honda, be prepared for your car not to fit. Extra tight parking stalls.

Room Tip: Second floor for safety.
Arnold, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We are BW Platinum members who have stayed at properties across the West and Southwest. This is the worst property we have visited to date. Upon arrival to our room, we called the front desk to report the desk chair would not raise above the floor. I needed to work from the room all of the next day. Although we discovered much better chairs at the front lobby business center at checkout, the chair delivered only stayed in its uppermost setting, so I spent the day with two inches of clearance from the desk. The maintenance man who showed up at 9:30 said the chairs looked normal to him, but he'd ask his boss. I never heard back from him. The TV remote buttons did not all operate, but that was replaced. The HVAC cover was broken. Although the place has a large staff training and break room, the breakfast room is tiny and cramped. Parking is narrow and hard to access. If you make the mistake of staying, bring a tiny car. The price was unreasonable.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Not enough space to describe the hell-hole this place is. From the moldy smell of the front office, the complete lack of toiletries/towels in room upon arrival and a disconnected room phone; those should have been the first clue. Loud guests arriving after 11pm and waking my young kids. Fine, I could ignore all those things. The ear-splitting, unwanted 'wake-up call' at 12:40 am by a defective fire alarm? Ok, now I'm disgusted. Cannot reach front desk..phone doesn't work. Cell reception sketchy. Had to leave 2 terrified young children in room (I'm a single mom) while I ran to lobby to find help. Alarm only going off in our room, but I can hear it all the way down in the lobby (another building). Veronica, only one there, comes out disheveled and less than willing to help. "I can't leave the front desk." "then call the manager", I say. "No, he's sleeping," Veronica replies. Yeah, I was too! After literally crying and begging her to come down to my room to help me get it to stop, she arrives. My little ones (ages 6 and 11), are awake and terrified. She throws on all the lights and unscrews the thing. It stops blaring, but immediately water GUSHES all over my kids' bed. WTH? Veronica then accuses me of making up some story about smelling smoke as the cause of the alarm going off. As the alarm dangles from the ceiling, I ask her how I am to stay in this UNSAFE room (no working fire alarm) with 2 young kids. She says all rooms full, too bad. NO empathy, professionalism, NOTHING. I am left in a room with NO fire alarm and a leak above my kids' bed. Needless to say, I stayed awake the ENTIRE night in fear of being in a leaky, unsafe room. Veronica said the manager, Cesar, would not be in until AFTER 8am the next morning. Great. I get up to use the restroom around 6am and feel water drops on my head. (this in a separate location, not where the fire alarm was). I look up to see where they are coming from. An ENORMOUS bulge (I took pictures to prove this) is encompassing the entirety of the ceiling above the bathtub. I gasp thinking that the ceiling will likely cave in soon. UNBELIEVEABLE. Clearly, this room had MAJOR issues and likely was flagged as Unsafe/un-useable. Yet, we were given this room to stay in??! I finally make my way to the front desk wanting to leave this nightmare ASAP only to find different peons who are, can you believe this? less than accommodating in finding Cesar so I can discuss the room issues and check out of this dump. I tell Cesar my story and he says, "It's not our fault" "We had no idea, blah, blah, blah" Sure, Cesar, whatever you say. He offers a 30% discount off the overpriced room rate. Thanks, but no thanks, I tell him. FULL refund. NOTHING less would be acceptable for the trauma and COMPLETE lack of service from all involved. 50%, he says. Nope...and this, after he saw all the water damage. Cannot believe I literally had stayed at not 1, but 2 BW prior to this just in the previous month. No issues. This BW defies all common courtesy and sense. I truly hope that Cesar and his incompetent staff are all replaced. I am waiting on my refund and will be reporting the unsafe conditions to the proper authorities if my request is ignored. I have travelled extensively throughout the US and Europe and stayed in all types of establishments (from Motel 6 to the Waldorf-Astoria, honestly) This hellish experience is one I have never and hope to never encounter again.

Chico, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Great hotel-beds were very comfortable, staff very friendly and helpful, clean, great hot tub and pool. We had to bring along our dog this time and it was a great experience. It is in a good neighborhood also. The only thing I would love is a larger breakfast area-it was so crowded that it was hard to get anything to eat.

Folsom, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We wanted to go to the Santa Cruz, boulder creek area. Scott's valley is convenient to go to nearby cities. The breakfast was good and convevient. the service was very nice
Parking was kinda tight, but adequate.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn Scotts Valley? Share your experiences!