Stayed here during the high tourist season while visiting relatives – it was the only tolerably priced hotel in the Santa Cruz area. I travel to Santa Cruz occasionally but normally in the winter where finding a nice place to stay is not too difficult. So I had sticker shock in my first summer visit. The price is high compared to what you receive compared to most markets. Santa Cruz is one of those destinations that the hoteling market doesn’t seem to have kept up with demand. The price I paid for this room would have gotten fairly luxurious accommodations in any large market, with a few exceptions (Times Square comes to mind).
- Breakfast was good.
- Price in comparison to similar Santa Cruz hotels, at least during the summer.
- Service was good and they try really hard to be accommodating.
- Room was very clean.
- Though it is an older facility, the grounds are well maintained and pretty (Though ‘the grounds’ are fairly limited as this is an old traditional outside entrance hotel).
Things to consider:
- The location is not ‘Santa Cruz’, it is about seven miles east on the highway. You will not walk or even see the ocean from here. That said, it’s worth the price reduction compared to similar level hotel in Santa Cruz itself that are outrageously priced during summer.
- You will need a car. There is a fast food restaurant (Jack in the Box) next door and a Mexican restaurant but that’s it.
- If you like/want newer facilities, this is not the place. The hotel is fairly dated with each room having an outside entrance along walkways.
- They allow pets so you will see and hear dogs.
- When I arrived they could not find my booking though I had the reservation information. But they happily rebooked. Due to the confusion around this, I was double charged for a room on the first day of the booking. I did not realize this until returning home. When I called the hotel they could not figure out what the problem was and could not fix it. They were very friendly about it but they were just stuck and seemed they had no way to fix it. I challenged the charge through my credit card and the hotel did not respond to the inquiry so ultimately I was not charged. This was a roundabout way for the hotel to fix the problem.
- Parking is VERY tight, small spaces and tight access.
- Even in my non-smoking room, there occasionally was a ‘hint’ of smoke odor, likely from neighbors.
I gave them an average rating because it was an average experience. I struggled with this, any other place or market this hotel would be considered very overpriced for what you get. That said it is well maintained and caters to the tourist market.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.