“eVERYTHING WAS IN TIP TOP CONDITION BUT.........” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Scotts Valley
Citrus Heights
“eVERYTHING WAS IN TIP TOP CONDITION BUT.........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I had a delightful stay at Scotts Valley. The rooms were neat, clean, and in tip top condition but the breakfast was lacking. I found the breakfast eggs in the morning were to powdery and lacked in taste. I thought I was eating military or prison food. That was the only drawback. Other than that it was perfect!

Gerry

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Prescott, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We use the SV Best Western 4 to 6 times a year when visiting clients. The price is very competitive for the area.Rooms are always clean, although the disinfectant smell sometimes lingers in some rooms. The included breakfast has a good selection. Staff is always friendly.
Our only 'gripe' is the spotty and slow internet service. When you can connetc it is difficult to even check Gmail.

Room Tip: Ask for what you need; Some rooms are quieter and some have better internet connections
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Our main reason for staying here was it was close to Santa Cruz, but in a better neighborhood. The price was ok, just a few dollars cheaper then the Hilton, but has breakfast.

The room was dark but mostly clean. There were hairs on the toilet and shower when we arrived. It was quite late and we were tired so I didn't bother notifying anyone. The beds were comfortable and the room was quiet.

Breakfast was fine. Better then just cold cereal and saved us some $. The pool was warm and just right for my kids to play in.

The biggest downside of our stay was the laundry facilities. I did laundry on our second night, since we had spent several days in the redwoods before arriving here and were headed to the next leg of our "welcome home from Afghanistan" trip. I had 3 loads of laundry and it took $20 to wash and dry them. The washer and drier were $1.50 each, but the drier wouldn't dry them well. Once I started folding my clothes, I noticed several of them had tears and grease stains. I then inspected the driers. One had a huge burn on the door and sharp metal on the top, which tore up over $200 worth of clothes. When I informed the front desk, the discounted half of one nights stay ($60). Better then nothing, but still frustrating since several were my sons new school clothes. I hope they have taken care of the issue, but if not beware of the bottom drier!

• Stayed August 2012
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Actual rating = 2.75

Everything about this Best Western falls soundly into the average category, the room, the staff and the neighborhood. Nothing wrong with that. The free breakfast and the breakfast room are both below average though. Value is well above average compared to most of the lodging in Santa Cruz. Just remember that Scotts Valley has a tiny portion of the food, services, or fun of Santa Cruz. It's about 15 minutes by car between the two towns.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Fair Oaks, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our son lives in nearby Felton which has no lodging and we did not want to stay in Santa Cruz, so Scotts Valley is about the only option. He went to UC Santa Cruz, so we have stayed in our share of accommodations in the area. Santa Cruz is overpriced and for the most part the places are below par and we are not super picky.
On our last visit we stayed at the Scotts Valley Hilton which is nice, but too expensive especially since we are only there to sleep, so this trip we decided to check out the Best Western which appears to be the only other option. Even though it is right next to Hwy. 17, it is very quiet and we had no trouble sleeping. The staff was polite and efficient. The breakfast is OK..pretty much the standard Best Western fare, scrambled eggs (powdered?), sausage, waffle machine, cold cereal, oatmeal, bagels, toast, muffins, juice, coffee....better than nothing , but nothing special. The bed was comfy and the room was clean. The location is easy on and off of Hwy. 17 and just a few miles from Santa Cruz. The only negatives are fairly minor......the lighting in the bathroom and vanity areas was so dim it was not suitable for applying makeup, the furniture was a little dated and three of the lamps had been unplugged and one bulb was burned out. We had to move furniture and shuffle things around to get them plugged in again.
All in all an OK place if you want a comfortable quiet, place without any frills.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor in the building behind the office. The parking was easier than in the f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My husband, 17-year-old son, and I stayed for one night (a Thursday) while visiting the Santa Cruz area. The hotel is very conveniently located just off Highway 17, one of the main roads leasing into downtown Santa Cruz. The room was very clean, included use of a mini-fridge, iron and board, hairdryer, coffee pot with coffee, TV of course. The bed linens I felt were especially good quality as hotel linens go. We had a non-smoking room, which happily had absolutely no evidence of ever being smoked in. There is a good-sized pool and very hot Jacuzzi which are available from I believe 9am to 10pm - no lifeguard, but fenced in. I chose Scotts Valley instead of Santa Cruz proper because I need it to be low-key and quiet, which it was. The prices tend to be a little lower also if you're not right in the heart of Santa Cruz, where prices are ALWAYS pretty high. Items noted available at breakfast: waffle, syrup, fruit beverage (not juice), regular and decaf coffee, real 1/2 and 1/2, 2 types of flaked cereal, fruity loop cereal, milk, 2% milk, hot oatmeal in packets, eggs (powdered I think), breakfast sausage, bagels, cream cheese, raisin bread, regular bread, English muffins, muffins, Yoplait yogurt. I think it was a good deal for the price I got with my AAA discount.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room away from the ice machine, soda machine, and laundry. If you don't want...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

The rooms were marginal at best. The breakfast was a joke. The toaster was broken and when I mentioned it the breakfast attendant basically blew it off. Powered eggs and artificially tasting waffles. Sounds petty but for $240. I would have liked a piece of toast cooked properly. I have no problem spending money for quality but this was far from.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn Scotts Valley? Share your experiences!