“Stunning property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Scotia Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Scotia
Scotia Inn
100 Main Street, Scotia, CA 95562   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Scotia B&B and Inns
Cambridge
“Stunning property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We didn't know what to expect when we booked this inn for an overnight stop, Scotia itself is described as a place you stop on the way to somewhere else with little to recommend it. This historic building was obviously the place to stay in the logging heyday, would love to have visited then. Despite it's elegance, there seems to be something sad about the place - seemed empty, echoey (is that a word?!) and lacking staff, indeed it seemed that three girls were running around doing everything. We had one of the smaller Queen sized rooms which was perfectly fine and well furnished - the bed very comfortable, nice towels, good hot shower.

We ate at the pub - we had coconut shrimp, sweet potato fries and salad - delicious! good selection of beers, could do with better wine selection. Breakfast was coffee/tea/orangejuice; yoghurt; bagels; yummy fresh scones - a highlight! Would recommend as a very reasonable priced accommodation to explore the Eureka/Redwoods area.

Room Tip: We had a queen sized room at the rear of the property ?206 - it doesn't have wifi but there is a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Niceville, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I reserved a room at this dump over two months prior to visiting the area only to get an e-mail today telling me that there was an error in their online reservation system and that I will not be able to stay there during my visit despite getting a confirmation e-mail saying that I was good. Now I will have to scramble to make last minute reservations somewhere else for a trip coming up in 3 weeks during a major holiday weekend! DO NOT TRUST THIS PLACE, SPEND YOUR MONEY SOMEWHERE MORE RELIABLE!

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Brookings, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Inn is on the National Registry of Historical Buildings and it is easy to see that in its hey day it was quite a grand place to lodge. However, it has lost its appeal. This was our second stay and will be our last. During this stay our room was larger and therefore, very spacious. During each stay the room does not give one the feeling that it is clean. It is not a comfortable room. During this stay the wind made the windows bang all night long. Finally in the morning I investigated (granted I should have checked it while we were still awake) and found that the top window and the bottom window had about a one inch gap. I placed and magazine in that space and it was fixed. However, the other window was still noisy and when I placed another magazine there it fell though to the ground (we were on the 2nd floor). I then realized that the gap was actually open air. This might explain why parking lot conversations sounded like they were in our room. The nice lady who I retrieved from the pub upon check-in stated that each room now has WiFi as of yesterday. Not true! We shared our lack of ability to receive a signal and were told that only rooms 201-209 are able to utilize WiFi. There were only three other guests this time and about the same last time. Why we were given a room that does have WiFi I do not know. I think most of their business these days are from party's. There was a fund raiser auction while we were there and they were very loud, but gone by the time we were ready to sleep. The pub is a good place for a snack, burger, and/or drinks. The lobby is the best indication of it's legendary past-- high ceiling, beautiful logs and wood. The lodge is near Ferndale, a great little Victorian Village. It is close to Avenue of the Giants, which is where we stayed the next night. Our recommendation is that if you are considering this lodge a better alternative is The Benbow Inn. Yes, it is more expensive, but it is also on the Historical list and is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: If WiFi is of concern stay in a room between 201-209. Those rooms face the street, but it is pretty...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Napa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stopped in the town of Scotia for lunch and found the Scotia Inn Pub. It is attached to the Inn and we were able to walk around the grounds. Everyone we encountered was very friendly and helpful. It felt like stepping back in time. The lobby was beautiful and we were invited to tour a few open rooms. Unfortunately, we did not have the time to tour, but from everything we saw it was well kept.

The pub was really good food with really big portions. I would definitely go back and recommend this establishment to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Scotia Inn on our honeymoon. We only stayed one night but if we'd had more time there was plenty to explore in Scotia. The hotel is in pretty good condition and lodging included basic breakfast which was a nice touch.
The staff were really friendly and knowledgable about the local beer and wine and helpful when we realised we had left something behind the next day and called to ask them to FedEx it to us.
Overall I definitely recommend it as a place to stay especially if you are after a nostalgic old country hotel feeling with friendly service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Scotia Inn was one of my hotel destinations while driving the Coast Highway 101 / 1.
Scotia is a old logging town just north of the Redwood Forest Drive in CA. and a great place to stay if you interested in getting away from the pace of city life. Although there is little to do in Scotia this is a great place to romance about the legacy of the old logging industry and imagine what life would be like in a "Company Town"
The Scotia Inn has all the history and mystic of he era. They are in the middle of up grading the hotel so you have a choice of newer rooms or the classic historic rooms. I choose a "classic" room, right over the main entrance. The receptionists "favorite room". It was in fact a great room with a view of the main road and "shopping mall" . The room was very spacious and comfortable. Although I was facing the main road I was not bothered by the street noise. I had a great nights sleep and restarted my journey down the coast very refreshed the next day. The great thing was the entrance to the Redwood Forest was only about 30 minutes away.
I ate at the Scotia Inn Pub and had a great local pint and the best Rib-Eye steak I've had in a very long time. It was cooked to perfection and had a wonderful grilled beef flavor. It was accompanied with a house salad - very good and choice of fries or onion rings, Select the onion rings - they were excellent.

Room Tip: If you want to ensure a quite room ask for a updated room in the back of the hotel, otherwise go for...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

From the minute Amanda picked up the phone to our check in with Grace the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.the rooms are large an clean. The food in the pub is very tasty an our waiter Cole was prompt an attentive. A very nice historic hotel

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Scotia Inn? Share your experiences!