“Authentic Italian food and good vibes downtown Sausalito” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Poggio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 73 Restaurants in Sausalito
Cuisines: Italian
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Golden Gate and Blue and Gold Ferries both a 5 minute walk away.
Copenhagen
“Authentic Italian food and good vibes downtown Sausalito”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Go to the bar in "Poggio Trattoria" and order a glass of wine before being seated. The restaurant 'ouses' of Italy in a godfather'ish way. Carlos Santana is a frequent guest (but ppssstt....don't tell it to anybody). The food is great, everything on the menu will do, but ask for the special of the day.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Benicia, California
“very disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We have been to Poggio several times before and always had good food and service. Today was very disappointing.
We had an inattentive waitress; we asked to be moved because it was cold by the front door and she willingly accommodated us, but after that it was all downhill. We ordered salads and a pizza. Our breadbasket came with two pieces of bread, generally there are freshly made rolls. The salads were good but then we waited over half an hour for the pizza. We were never asked to refill our wine and tea or told why the service was so slow. It was a Sunday afternoon late lunch (2:00 PM) so not sure why everything seemed so slow. This is a Zagat rated restaurant so getting poor service was very disappointing especially after other meals there. When the Margherita pizza finally came, the server plopped it down on the breadbasket. The crust was burnt on the bottom, the tomatoes were more of a runny sauce, and the mozzarella was cold; the basil looked like an afterthought and was roughly thrown on the top.

Because we were at this point quite hungry we ate most of it, but when the waitress finally came back my husband showed her the crust and told her that it was burned in parts, and that wait had been excessive. Instead of apologizing or offering any regret, she asked if he wanted her to take the charge off the bill. My husband replied that she should do what she thought was appropriate, to which she replied, "what do you think is appropriate?" (with kind of an attitude vs apology). Since she never offered any apology or any smiles throughout the time we were there, my husband said, yes, I think you should take it off.

Every restaurant has bad days but this was very disappointing...
Something was definitely off but all the servers never smiled or looked at all happy to be there, which didn't add to the cold pizza experience.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is my third visit for lunch over the past few years. All have been excellant. Service is attentive, great pizzas [closest I've had to Italy!] soups and pastas. On a nice day you can sit outside and watch the beautiful people. A must while in Sausalito.

Visited February 2013
Caracas, Venezuela
“Nice Staff, Good Food, Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was there with my crew and everything was perfect, staff was very nice and i felt they took care of us. Excellent food, good wine, dessert was delicious. Very nice place in town.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sausalito, California
“Delicious meal and great waitress”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Ate here for the first time a week ago with a friend. It's considered one of, if not THE best restaurant in Sausalito, and I now know why. I lived in Europe for almost 30 years, and here you feel as if you really are in an Italian tratorria. We asked to change from our first table for a better view, and this was no problem. I wish I could remember our waitress's name, because she was wonderful. She had a wealth of knowledge, not only about the food and wine, but on a few other unrelated questions I had, was very friendly and helpful, but very professional, at the same time.
As for the food, everything looked delicious. We both had the eggplant/mozzarella pure to start, as we love eggplant, and were very impressed. My stomach had been a bit sensitive, so I had the grilled chicken, which was very good, although a part was undercooked, so I had to send it back. There was a fantastic dessert menu, but I had an espresso, which came with a tasty little biscotto. The ambiance was very relaxing. While we waited for our car, the valet suggested we sit inside, beside the Madrona Hotel fireplace, as it was cold out. We reluctantly left, as the car was delivered promptly. I can't wait to eat here again.

• Visited February 2013