“Unique location, wonderful views, very good food and accommodating service.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cavallo Point

Advance Purchase and SAVE
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Denver, North Carolina
“Unique location, wonderful views, very good food and accommodating service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

A very unique location with breathtaking views of SFO, the bay, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Totally secluded, yet close to everything. Drive into the city in minutes, or take a ferry from Larkspur. Easily drive up to wine country, visit lots of quaint local towns, or........just stay on premises and relax at the spa or take advantage of planned events. We stayed in the newer rooms on the hill, very nice with fireplaces and magnificent views of the bay and GG Bridge. Had a great spa experience( deep tissue massage) followed by cocktails by the fireplace in the Farley Lounge, and the a gourmet dining experience in Murray Circle restaurant. The Wagyu beef short ribs were outstanding! Highly recommend this property.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recommendation!

We hope to welcome you back to Cavallo Point very soon.

Euan Taylor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Middletown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

On the spur of the moment, my husband and I decided to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at Cavallo Point. I researched a number of the hotels in the area and Cavallo sounded just right for us ... close to Sausalito town but off the beaten track, tucked away with a spectacular view of San Francisco, the Bay, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Lots of history associated with Cavallo Point. There are both historic and contemporary rooms to choose from. We stayed in the contemporary deluxe king room with sitting area facing the Golden Gate Bridge. Because there was not a cloud in the sky on Christmas Eve, the view was beyond amazing. Although we were unable to eat at the restaurant (remember this was a spur of the moment trip so we had no expectation to dine there on Christmas Eve), a friend of ours met us at the Farley Bar and we stayed there for hours, sipping wine, having appetizers, in the very festive, warm, and cozy pub-like bar. Having reserved under the WINTER special, Christmas breakfast ($50 for two) was included in our rate. It was FANTASTIC. Afterwards, my husband used the steam sauna in the Healing Arts Center & Spa and he said it was among the best he has ever used. Even if you are not going to use the spa facilities, I highly recommend taking a walk there and visit upstairs as the design is beautiful, peaceful and relaxing. We plan on returning to Cavallo Point again. Thanks to everyone!

Room Tip: I can't imagine that any room is not a good choice. Our room was #1503 (2nd floor of a 4 room b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to spend your Christmas Holiday at Cavallo Point.

We so appreciate your kind feedback and hope to welcome you back for another visit very soon!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

In desperate need of a holiday vacation as per the stress of our occupations, my husband and I planned a family get away to Sausalito/San Francisco area for 12/26-12/31. We arrived at Cavallo Point earlier today to learn that our reservation was booked for 5/26-5/31 and the 2 bedroom suite we had reserved was not available for our use. Completely convinced that the error was on the part of the hotel, I expressed my dismay and disappointment. In turn, the desk clerk and manager were extraordinarily apologetic. At the same time they began trying to figure out how the error was made. Moreover, they began working on how they could make things right and accommodate our preferences -- offering us lunch on the house while they did so.

While awaiting our complementary lunch, I began plowing through my email communications with hotel staff. To my horror I learned that in fact all but the last email communication with the hotel staff indicated that I was seeking reservations in May (obviously I needed a vacation as I would have bet on my first born's life that I had been writing "12" and not "5"). I only found some comfort in the fact that my last email communication did make reference to our wanting to keep the suite until 12/31. Unfortunately, the person reading the email likely thought in this instance I meant to write 5/31. Needless to say it was now me who was apologetic as well as embarrassed; and do I returned to the front desk with my tail between my legs.

To my pleasant surprise, the staff never deviated from their extraordinary professionalism. They refused to let us cover the cost of our lunch. They worked diligently to find us a 2 bedroom suite and did all of the gerrymandering necessary for us to have the suite for our entire stay. Their tone was patient and kind -- even though I fully participated in and actually was at the driving wheel with regards to the reservation error. I have been in situations where the error was on the part of the hotel and did not receive a fraction of the customer service I received today. I am completely blown away with CP's care and commitment to extend the highest quality hospitality. Actually I am speechless by the extent to which they have accommodated us under the circumstances. To give this level of service to a guest who was not yet technically a guest is absolutely extraordinary and goes above and beyond what would be expected of ANY establishment. CP is an extraordinary resort with exceptional staff and management of the highest caliber. I will not hesitate to stay at Cavallo Point in the future and will sing their praises for forever and a day!!!

Thank you Cavallo!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your lovely post!

I am ecstatic that the staff worked so diligently to accomodate your requests. Our team is fully committed to providing a stellar experience for all guests and will be so pleased to hear that their efforts resulted in a wonderful vacation for you and your family.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cavallo Point in the near future!

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Only when we left this idyllic resort to spend three days in San Francisco, did we realize how tranquil Point Cavallo is.. Waking up to a view of the Golden Gate Bridge or looking across the bay to one of the greatest cities in the world while surrounded by
nature at her best, is something everyone should be so fortunate to experience. From arrival to departure, this place was perfect. We hiked to Crissy Fields for lunch at the Warming Hut three days in a row..Be sure to hike the Coastal trail for views you will only see in northern California.. The staff was welcoming without being intrusive.. Did I mention the VIEWS!!!!! Thank you to all at Cavallo Point Lodge for replenishing our souls and filling us with memories to last a lifetime..We have already begun planning our next trip.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful compliments!

I'm very pleased to hear that you had enjoyed your stay and will be certain to share your comments with our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cavallo Point in the near future!

Denver, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Cavallo Point is many things - expensive, beautiful, well-kept, modern and rustic and in a great location. BUT the hotel and restaraunt was very expensive ... and they are not really providing a Ritz Carlton experience. I don't think we would stay again.

Room Tip: I personally thought the historic rooms were more comfortable than the modern rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to hear that your experience at the resort did not meet with your expectations.

If I may suggest checking the "Current Offers" section on our website, as we do offer special rates and packages throughout the year.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

If there are any other questions or concerns I can address, please do not hesitate to contact me at euan@cavallopoint.com.

Mercer Island, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Flew down to SF to relax, attend a friend's B-Day in the city and was recommended Cavallo Point by a friend. Everything was fabulous, and when you go, stay up top and eat (& drink) on the front porch/deck under the heaters with the stellar view. World class!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your post!

We hope to welcome you back for another visit to Cavallo Point very soon.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I came on a business trip for a conference, but I had some time to look around and enjoy myself.

The room I stayed in was one of the newer rooms on the hill almost directly behind the registration office, and it was gorgeous. Great view, fireplace, great little "just in case" items, such as ear plugs, vaulted ceilings... absolutely beautiful. One of the prettiest rooms I can remember.

The grounds also were beautiful -- well manicured and maintained -- and the view of the bridge from the grounds and especially as you walk around the property or just off it are spectacular. I'll include some pics I took from either the property or within five minutes from it.

I didn't eat much there, but the food was good. I had one meal at the restaurant/bar area, and it was very good, so I'm sure that was consistent for the rest.

The staff were delightful, always offering a lift in their golf carts or just checking to make sure everything was going well with my stay.

One note: There is a "hike" around the back of the property that allegedly takes 30-45 minutes. It's not much of a hike. If you're looking for a real challenge, they have other options that involve more strenuous activity, such as the trail up to and across the bridge (which isn't THAT strenuous, but does involve a fairly steep incline and some stamina).

I will say I didn't pay for my trip, so I have no idea about its value on the dollar, but it was a wonderful experience and I'd love to stay here with my girlfriend in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your post. Your kind compliments are very much appreciated.

We hope to welcome you and your girlfriend to Cavallo Point in the near future!

Euan Taylor

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!