“Great relaxing stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
SD, CA
“Great relaxing stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

My wife and I spent three nights at Cavallo Point during the Thanksgiving weekend. We had read mixed reviews about this property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to say that we had a great stay. The front desk staff were very courteous and friendly - so were the valet folks. We didn't want to park in Valet, so we were able to drive our car close to the building we were staying at with the valet folks leading us in a golf cart. So, its not true that the only way to park is through Valet. We had one of the contemporary rooms with a view of the golden gate. It was a great view, better than expected. Since the contemporary rooms are up on the hill a little, the view is very nice. The room was very nice and had a modern decor. Very comfortable bed. Great room with a nice view overall. We didn't dine at the restaurant, but had ordered in-room breakfast. The food was ok, but a little pricey. For the next two days we drove 5 minutes into Sausalito town and had breakfast at nice cafes over there (try Poggio - very nice breakfast combos). This hotel is away from city, but with a view of the city. You sort of get the best of both worlds. The only negative for some folks might be the toll charge every time you cross Golden Gate to get to SFO city ( we didn't mind it). Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: AFter you check the hotel website and see the rooms/prices, call up their reservations and talk to t...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
eclairs8, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your Thanksgiving Holiday! Cavallo Point is quickly becoming the go-to retreat for special occasions and we couldn't be more pleased that guests, such as yourself, are spreading the word. We appreciate your continued support and look forward to welcoming you back again!

Euan Taylor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I stayed at Cavallo Point for four nights in Nov 2011. I was there for a conference. I have to say that this is probably the best place I have ever been for a conference. The rooms were incredible. I stayed in one of the historic houses and the room was big enough to work and stay without having to trip over my luggage. The food was incredible, too. I had two treatments at the spa and both were outstanding. I highly suggest the head and soul massage. It was very relaxing and the experience of staying in the park was great.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 703 which had a great view and was very close to everything. One drawback is the m...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your compliments! I am ecstatic to hear that you've had a lovely stay and will be certain to pass on your accolades to our team.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon!

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I just got home from an overnight at the Cavallo Point hotel, and for the first time in my many years of travel, I am writing a poor review. To start on a positive note, the views, from the property are stunning, and the character of the historic buildings, are undeniably beautiful.

In terms of our room, we had a spacious, two bedroom suite, with a living room area in the middle, which was perfect for our purposes. The character of the building is lovely, and I couldn't help but envision how special the experience could have been. However the lack of amenities in this regularly priced, $625.00 suite, (we took advantage of the fifty percent discount for Sunday nights, thank goodness), was shocking. I have had more included in a Marriott Courtyard, than I experienced at this very expensive, resort hotel.

Just to name a few of the many things that were lacking, to start, we did not get asked, if we needed help to our room, so we trudged quite a distance with our bags. I am sure we could have asked for help, but it seemed quite odd that it wasn’t offered. When we arrived to our room, I couldn’t help but notice on the table outside of our door, two crumpled, used napkins and a vitamin pill. The bathroom did not have any amenities at all, except for one bar of soap, and three little cellophane packets, containing two cotton swabs, and one cotton puff, which was tucked on a shelf. Perhaps the towels are eco friendly, but they are the antithesis of plush. The suite did not have fresh flowers, bottled water, or even, turn down service, which would seem reasonable considering the price point.

In the morning we were desperate for coffee, and since the restaurant is quite a walk away, we attempted to make it with the coffee maker in the room. Because there was no bottled water, we used tap water, but the smell of chlorine was so strong, the coffee was not drinkable. This could have been completely rectified if they had included a bottle of water, since it was literally impossible to drink from the tap.

The food at dinner was quite delicious, but the service was absolutely terrible. Our waiter could not have been less interested in our dining experience, if he had tried. When our salads arrived, I noticed there was not any bread on the table, and I flagged him down and asked if we might have a piece. Some time later he arrived, explaining that he had to hunt down some butter. When we asked if he could recommend a dessert off the menu, he replied that they were all fine, and no he couldn’t recommend one.

Breakfast was fine, but we had a total of five different waiters over the course of that one meal. When we were done and ready to pay the bill, all five, had vanished, and I was on my way to hunt down the bill, when someone new to the scene, appeared.

My business partner and I were checking out the Cavallo Point for a possible business retreat location, which would have been absolutely perfect for the convenience to the city, and the stunning views, but after our experience, it is not even a consideration. I only feel fortunate that we paid half price for our suite, as the full fare would have been that much more upsetting. I have never written a poor review before regarding any hotel experience, but this was pretty memorable in a bad way. I hope that the management steps up their game, and matches excellent service, to the incredible beauty of the setting and the historical charm of the buildings. There was a distinct disconnect for us, regarding the image the hotel conveys in their marketing, and the sub standard service that was delivered.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
eclairs8, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that we did not deliver a great experience in many areas of your stay. I am working with the Cavallo Point team to provide an excellent and consistent service that shows great hospitality.

If you would like to contact me directly to discuss your experience further, I would welcome the opportunity (euan@cavallopoint.com).

Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Our family stayed here for a birthday celebration weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We all had rooms in the modern section of the hotel. The birthday girl and her husband had an upgraded suite although there was really no difference from the other rooms which was a bit disappointing, given the extra fee associated with it. Overall however the rooms were impeccable; new, clean and had many environmentally friendly details which is appreciated. Our room with two doubles was large, had a lovely fireplace and the ceilings were very high which really gave the room a supremely comfortable feel. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our rooms were up a rather steep hill, which posed a problem for the older members of our group but the staff was always ready to provide a complementary lift in the hotel golf carts. Also the views are wonderful and the location is very relaxing. The only problem is that the town of Sausalito itself is not much, just an overcrowded tourist trap with second rate souvenir stores.
The resort offers a number of complementary activities including a nature hike, a historical tour of the property and yoga. We took advantage of these and found them to be well run and pleasant. The fitness center is pretty small but there are so many other exercise opportunities around that it is hardly a cause for concern.
The main flaw was the food. Despite the Michelin star the restaurant received, we all found it to be overpriced and overrated. The service was terribly slow, we waited for ages just to get our food. We ate at the restaurant three times, once for dinner and twice for breakfast, for lack of better options, and were underwhelmed each time. Unfortunately there arent many good options nearby unless you venture in to the city, which can be a pain with traffic and takes away from the relaxing feeling of the vacation.
We would probably return though, as the experience was quite nice and the setting is truly beautiful.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your post regarding your recent stay. We are very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable experience overall.

We are also very sorry to hear that your room amenities, food and service at the restaurant did not meet with your expectations. I will be certain to discuss your comments further with my team.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at euan@cavallopoint.com with any further questions.

Mill Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

I will describe our experience at Cavallo Point's spa. We were celebrating our first year of marriage and my husband decided that we would get massages at the spa. We arrived about an hour before our treatments so we could enjoy the pool and get some lunch. We went out to the pool and waited for a server to come out which never happened and finally when a server came to bring someone's else’s drinks I asked for a menu. The server pointed and told me they were inside the spa and to grab them myself, in which case I got up from the pool and when inside to retrive the menu. I understand now that they do not have menues but rather a chalk board with food items. I think the concept is great but maybe having a chalk board out near the pool would be a good idea. We then ordered lunch, my husband ordered the chicken Vietnamese sandwich and I ordered a salad with chicken. The order came and they said we don't have any chicken for the salad, I have no problem re-ordering but instead they brought my food out and didn’t even offer for me to re-order. The sandwich was very tasty but my salad was “bland.” The 90 minute massage was wonderful my therapist was great. My husband also enjoyed his massage. After our treatments I wanted some hot tea, they do offer tea but you must pay extra. This is the first time I’ve been to a spa and the only thing that is complimentary is cucumber/lemon water. I feel they completely “nickel and dime” you for everything. I know times are tough but if you are going spend $$ for a treatment at Cavallo Point you should at least get some hot tea…..There are many other spas in San Francisco and Marin that you get the whole experience not just a great massage.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your observations regarding our spa amenities and services. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and are reviewing our standards. Your comment on the very high quality of the spa treatment is greatly appreciated and reflects the experience and care of our therapists.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at euan@cavallopoint.com.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

So here is the thing, you can't beat the amazing views of San Francisco, the Golden Gate, and Alcatraz this hotel has to offer. Not to mention it is a short drive away from Sausalito. So Location, Location, Location.

Now the Historical Units are very nice and charming with beautifully designed rooms.

The Contemporary Rooms have nice amenties like gas fireplace but they were kind of boring. Definitely much different than the furnishings in the historical units. Also the porch light for the contemporary room we stayed at was very bright and with the slightly fogged front window allowed for too much light to enter the room.

So if you are someone who prefers absolute darkness might want to mention this at checkin.

So lets talk service. Had two good experiences and one bad one. Good service at the restaurant and good service in fixing the above light issue.

So the bad service. Given the location of the room and my wife was in heels, I called 45 minutes before we needed to get picked up for a shuttle (read golf cart) to drive us to the restaurant. To my surprise when I dialed the operator it did not go directly to a person but to a que and then I waited on hold.

Once i got the receptionist I made my request to be picked up at 6:30. Shockingly, she replied somewhat rudely stating well it is almost 6pm but she said "she would make note of it." I was surprised because I thought 45 minutes notice was more than sufficient.

Of course, at 6pm while my wife and I were getting ready a knock at the door came. It was the shuttle driver. The receptionist had told him we wanted the ride now.

Actually, I almost forgot to mention the best service experience we had. That was when the driver of the shuttle car not a golf cart came to pick us up at 630.

He was very friendly and fun and definitely got us excited to eat at the restaurant. So in all, 1 great service experience, 2 good ones, and 1 bad one.

Dear Valued Guest,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience with our receptionist and would like to reassure you that this is not a common occurrence. Nevertheless, I will be discussing your comments further with my team, as we are always looking into ways in which we can further improve our service to our guests.

We also sincerely appreciate your kind comments and will inform the departments mentioned of your compliments.

Thank you for sharing your observations and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

Who would expected 70s and sun in December...and the hotel was a great retreat! Staff were helpful, the room was like being at an expensive retreat and the grounds were fun. Be prepared for hills and hikes.

Room Tip: Stay up top of hill in NEW suites!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
eclairs8, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We so appreciate your kind post-thank you! We hope to welcome you back to Cavallo Point for many future stays!

Happy Holidays!

Euan Tayloyr

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!