“So much more than I expected for a weekend getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
well-traveled Californian
“So much more than I expected for a weekend getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

This area used to be a military base, so my expectations were not too high going into the weekend. Moreover, I had just been to an adjacent town, Tiburon for one-wekend, the previous month, so I thought I didn't think there was much to do in this area. I was surprisingly amazed by the open space and amount activities one can enjoy on-site.

Both the room and bathroom were very spacious. The room had avery small living space with a t.v. and two reading chairs detached from the sleeping area . A large patio surrounded the three-room building, and had inviting chairs available for reading or simply enjoying the incredible views.

Since we were here for a day, we did not get to take advantage of the cooking demonstrations, spa, nature hike or yoga class; however we did get in a short hike from the hotel to a beach in the Marin Headlands. One can easily walk or bike the Golden Gate in addition to the Headland trails. Since it was an ideal sunny, cloudless day - rare in SF/Saucalito - we were able to enjoy incredible views every step we took. It made for an extra worthwhile experience.

I encourage you to take advantage of the on-site restaurant. The chef cooks only with fresh, seasonal ingredients. I was able to dine in the main dining room. (I would have eaten outside on the porch, but it was full.) While the food was a bit pricey, it was superb and memorably presented.

Finally, because my partner had been there for work with an environmental non-profit, we recevied an exclusive rate that truly could not be beat. This was value at its best. I will undoubtedly be back again, but next time with my bike and for a full weekend to enjoy Cavallo to its fullest!

For dog owners, this place is a special treat. I'm guessing this is a dog-friendly hotel because I saw a few people there accompanied by leashed dogs.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
eclairs8, Executive Office at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your personal experience at our Lodge. Your compliments are very much appreciated and we will be sure to share them with everyone on staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the property on your next visit!

Executive Assisant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

We stayed in one of the historic King suites, and the accommodation was wonderful. The rooms were spacious and nicely appointed, the bed extremely comfortable, and the bathtub was fantastic. We also liked that you could open the windows for fresh air, which was useful. The heating was more than adequate -- in fact, we usually turned it off, even though we were there at the beginning of March. There's only a fan and no air conditioning, so I would be a little cautious about staying here in the warmer months. It was great to step out of the house and see so much nature around, plus a wonderful view of the Golden Gate bridge and the San Francisco skyline (when it wasn't foggy). Accommodation and location are excellent.

What was less excellent was the service, especially room service / housekeeping -- getting anything took forever, and on one occasion they forgot all about it. The restaurant and bar are very good -- delicious food and a good wine and beer list. But, as other reviewers mentioned, you got only what was on the menu. We had a small child who wanted oatmeal in the evening. No, they couldn't do it. Oatmeal only in the morning, take it or leave it. We have never had this problem at other upmarket hotels, which this one is clearly trying to emulate. The staff was generally friendly (except one lady at the front desk), but service definitely needs improvement. This is the only reason we would consider staying at another hotel -- otherwise this one would be perfect.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

My only regret with this place is not staying longer. This was one of the most beautiful and comfortable places I've ever stayed and it does it all without a hint of pretentiousness. We had a historic room with a view. The room was more like rooms, plural. It had a spacious living room that was complete with very comfortable furnishings including a telescope and fireplace, a bedroom with a super comfy king bed and another fireplace as well as a giant antique floor to ceiling built-in cabinet and a giant bathroom with huge jacuzzi tub and separate, very large shower. The room also had a porch with a pair of Adirondack chairs. It was really more like a vacation home than a room. The restaurant was nothing short of amazing with course after course of delicious food and deep wine list. The staff in the restaurant was beyond accommodating moving us to a more romantic table and suggesting beautiful wine choices. Everything was beyond my greatest expectation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
eclairs8, Executive Office at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to correspond with us regarding your visit to Cavallo Point, The Lodge at the Golden Gate. We are very appreciative that you have taken the time to post your review and are so delighted to hear that you had a pleasant experience at our property. The team at Cavallo Point is very proud of our dedicated staff and beautiful facility, and is always happy and grateful to hear from our guests that we have met and/or exceeded their expectations.

Thank you again for your feedback we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Executive Assistant
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

My wife and I stayed in a Historic King with a View room. It was incredibly comfortable. The sitting area had a view of the city and we could see the top of the Golden Gate Bridge. The bathroom itself wasn't large but the shower was large and comfortable. The bed, oh my, the bed was sooo comfortable. It was the only bed my wife and I have both said is more comfortable than our own. We ate one night at Farley Bar and one night at Murray Circle and both were delicious! I would come again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Great location if you want to hike. Could have spectacular views, or not, depending on the infamous San Francisco weather. Room was almost, but not quite spartan - a 'green' room, which would all be OK if it weren't for the fact that the heating wasn't on when we arrived and it took ages to heat up a very cold room. They knew we were coming so why don't they fire up the heating?
We were attending a function and with heels it is impossible to get to the main event rooms without taking a golf cart ride, but they do respond quickly.
Certainly has charm, redolent of its history as an ex-miltitary base, and I rather liked that. Staff were helpful. We ate at the event and I wasn't impressed.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Silicon Valley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

I was worried about some of the reviews here, but my only regret about the Cavallo Point Lodge is that we only stayed there two nights. We were there during good weather so we were able to hike and get plenty of camera shots. The grounds are as picturesque as the ads. I couldn't believe such a nice place existed practically under the Golden Gate bridge. There are views you can't get anywhere else. The service was impeccable, the room (a king suite) was well designed and comfortable. The spa is excellent and my buddy (a connisseur) had a wonderful deep tissue massage.

Now here are some tips you need to know. We stayed in a contemporary room; they are the only ones with views of the bridge, however, even those views are obscured by trees. Our room was the furthest to the end and still had a problem, so I think others would be even less lucky. Be prepared to walk up and down little hills alot to get around. Our room had a fantastic soaking tub, the most comfortable tub I've ever used. So if you're a fan of bath ice cream, bring that since they don't sell it at this resort. The only real downside of the hotel is the internet. It is free, but the bandwidth is only 130kbps, which is twice the speed of dialup. That was the speed whether you used wifi or a wired connection. It was too frustrating for me to use. The fitness center is excellent, 24x7 access with 4 treadmills, 4 ellipticals, and 2 bikes, mostly all Precor. Lastly, the Murray Circle restaurant was really fabulous. It has a Michelin 1-star rating, and suprisingly it is very reasonable. My buddy had the $85 grand tasting menu which ended up having about 10 courses. It took us 2.5 unhurried hours to eat dinner. I had the baby abalone, and that was one of the best dishes I've ever eaten.

We can't wait to go back. Right now there is a 50% off special on Sunday night stays for locals; you should take advantage of that, as the lodge is pretty expensive. But it is worth that special stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

Where to begin... our reservations were messed up twice before we even got there. Every person who got their hands on our booking of three rooms managed to make a mess of it, charging us varying prices, including charging one couple double, and caused us a lot of unnecessary time in follow up emails, calls, checking visa bills etc.

When you arrive, you clearly are in an updated army barrack, which has its own charm i guess but you are not allowed to park anywhere. They say that you can park in a few lots that are 'self-park' all of which were completely full. You either had to use valet service or park very far away. The front desk was most unhelpful in remedying this situation. We spent a lot of time trying to sort this out. Very unwelcoming and frustrating.

Then we were overcharged when we had snacks at the bar and had to spend time sorting that out. The couple that was with us with a toddler were begging for some simple food from the kitchen for the child and were turned down, told it was off menu or nothing. After a 9 hour drive this was very upsetting to them.

When we got to the rooms they mistakenly put one couple in the room for the baby and the couple with the baby in their room. It was all very confusing and frustrating.

We ate dinner at their "Michelin Star" restaurant. There is no denying that the food was good but the service was terrible. If we wanted something extra that was not in their carefully choreographed display you would either not get it or ask many times. When we asked for more bread (four times from three different servers) it never came. When we asked for more water, three times, it finally came. For the money and the hype we were frustrated and let down.

The next morning we went for breakfast and ordered food that never came at all. Five of the seven of us had to catch a plane, and by the time the mistake was sorted out and we got our food we managed to eat it very quickly and say a rushed goodbye to our other friends, stressed about being late for the airport. When the food did finally come, all the orders were wrong. One of our party was irate and went to a manager because we had had enough. The manager comped the breakfast, but considering the trouble we had from the moment the reservations were made and the huge amount of money we spent overall we left feeling ripped off and disappointed.

We will never return.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

I truly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments regarding your February stay. Observations such as yours will assist us in identifying and correcting any problems areas that may still exist for we are always constantly striving to provide the most exemplary service for all our guests.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the incidents that you encountered during your last visit and wanted to stress that these situations are not a common occurence. Regardless, there is no excuse for the lack of attention and care that you had received. Please be assured that your concerns regarding the overall guest service at the Lodge are taken very seriously and will definitely be addressed.

Again, thank you for your feedback and please do not hesitate to contact me at christine@cavallopoint.com with any further questions.

Executive Assistant

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!