“Beautiful Gardens” 4 of 5 stars

Activities: Walking
Philadelphia, PA
“Beautiful Gardens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2006

There is no cost for parking but the admission fee to Hakone is $4/ person. I thought it was well worth it to enjoy such a beautiful and well-maintained garden. I spent about an hour exploring and taking pictures in case you are planning an itinerary.

A TripAdvisor Member
“A Perfect Saturday Outing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2003

For me, a perfect Saturday outing would include a visit to Hakone Gardens followed by a stroll in downtown Saratoga (perhaps stopping to eat at the Vienna Woods Deli-Restaurant and browsing the bookstore).

Hakone Gardens is located on Big Basin Way, just beyond downtown Saratoga. When my husband and I recently visited, we were pleasantly surprised. While you are walking the grounds, it is hard to believe you are only a few miles from the busy streets and malls of the Silicon Valley. Tall trees surround the gardens, and there are curved, hilly paths to follow throughout the property, with many benches along the way.

Photography is permitted for personal use, so bring your camera. The bamboo garden was our favorite. There is a charming waterfall and koi pond. You can peer inside the small wooden houses and imagine what it was like to live there in the 1920s.

When we visited, there was no admission charge, just a donation box.
The parking fee was $7. The paths are paved with pebbles, so I recommend wearing comfortable walking shoes.