“Select Another Motel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Santee
texas
“Select Another Motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

We cannot believe Best Western allows their name to be used on this motel. Worst experience ever. Local teens/young adults allowed to rent suite room next to ours and loudly party with a large group late into the night. Since it was a non-smoking suite the party stood on the balcony in front of our window to smoke and talk loudly. Not much cooperation from staff except that they would move us. We declined since we would be staying there for 4 nights. After finally getting nasty, they relocated the party group.

Motel was close to shopping and good restaurants about 5 miles away.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

I grew up in a town of about 25000 people. This hotel reminded me of the ones there. We actually lived in Santee for about a year before moving and this is not the place to stay. The bed sheets had stains on them and the wi-fi was weak. It was smallish and dingy and the beds are hard. Run like a Mom & pop but without the friendliness.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Napa California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

POOR SERVICE AND LOUSY ATTITUDE ABOUT IT!!!!
Called day of check in to date they we would be arriving late and confirmed that we were booked into king room. Arrived at 10:30 pm to find we had been bumped to two queens. Were told by clerk it was done because of convention. Manager Pete told us he had no clue and did not offer any apology for our inconvenience.
We were moved to a king room the next day that shared a wall with the office. At four in the morning on our two remaining nights, we were woken each night up by 20 minutes by loud noises coming from office that sounded like ice machine being dumped. Come to find out, they were setting up the free breakfast which led to more noise when people came to eat.
The clerk who checked us in looked like he had worn his shirt for over a week and had spent that week cleaning his mother's attic.
We had to call front desk for extra pillows and no one answered the phone. Went to the office and had to ring bell over eight times before someone came to door.
Exceptionally poor service and uncaring about quality of guests stay.
BEST WESTERN HAVE YOU SEEN THESE COMMENTS--ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT YOUR NAME ON THIS HOTEL???? NEVER HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH ONE YOUR YOUR CHAINS UNTIL THIS ONE.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Sacramento
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

My husband, 4 year old son, 1 year old daughter and I came down to Santee for my sister's wedding. We booked a room at the Best Western Santee Lodge because it was very close to the wedding location at Santee Lakes park. We paid for a non smoking room with double beds. We were assigned room #200 and the host guaranteed us that it was a non-smoking room. Upon entering the room we were almost knocked over by the stench of cigarette smoke and some weird type of fragrance used possibly to mask the smoke smell. I called down to the lobby and explained to them that we had paid for a non-smoking room and that although there was a non-smoking sign on the door, this was quite obviously not a smoke free room. I further communicated that I did not want my small children to stay in this environment. I was basically told by the staff that they did not have any other non-smoking rooms available and that they cannot actually control whether people smoke in the room or not. I was also told that the cleaning crew replaces all linens in a non-smoking room if they believe someone has smoked inside that room. Since the time was around 9 PM my husband and I decided to stay just the one night and to find a different place to stay for the following night. BIG MISTAKE!!! I awoke in the morning and I could barely breathe. My hands and fingers were so swollen that my wedding ring was cutting into my ring finger and was very painful. Both of my eyes were sore and infected. My husband was also having trouble breathing so he decided that a shower would help. This was another mistake as when he went to dry off he found that the towels had not been replaced and were inundated with cigarette smoke. He ended up drying off with one of his clean T-shirts. My four year old son was also affected with a stuffy nose and a headache but luckily my toddler was fine (she slept in her portacrib.) Needless to say we booked out of there as fast as we could! I’m not exactly sure what in that room made us sick as there were two very questionable issues 1) the cigarette smoke and 2) a very large water stain on the ceiling, apparently the place had a bad leak at some point and there is the possibility of mold contamination. A couple other things worth mentioning, the bed in front of the TV was very old and broken down. It had two large sinkholes in it about 3-4 inches deep so we chose to sleep on the other bed which was quite a bit better. Also the carpet was nasty. I would usually let my daughter walk around in a hotel but I made her stay in the playpen here as the carpet was badly stained and had a look of grunge to it. The bathroom however was clean and there were no bed bugs, believe me I checked! My last complaint is that because I brought my new feather pillow with me to this hotel I am afraid it is now ruined. I have been trying for 3 days now to get the smell out of it. I have put it in the dryer on fluff with a dryer sheet and put it out in the sun for hours but the smell is still there. I am going to try and wash it and pray that it does not get ruined. I do not know what else to do as I cannot use it with that stench on it. I also had to wash all the clothes that were in our luggage twice to get the smell out.

• Liked — When I got to see the place in my rear view mirror as I was speeding away!
  • Disliked — The absolute poor quality of the room & beds, smoke stench. Employees did not care at all.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007

This place is not worth it and they should seriously consder hiring a maintenance/repair man. Our door was broken and the staff pretty much said "oh, that's too bad, we can't do anything about it". I asked if they were sold out...which they were not, so why could I not look at another room. I looked at another room and it was just as dissappointing. She said the first room I was in was a good one and I should take it. It was very clear that the employees don't care and are not helpful or friendly. I would say keep driving and spend your money elsewhere.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — The room and service
  • Stayed November 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

Pros: A swimming pool I didn't use tho it looked fine.
Clean room
Close (less than a mile) to lots of shopping and chain restaurants
Great wireless internet connection
Check in and out went smoothly
Breakfast was decent for continental

The hotel front desk staff was cordial but not super friendly.

Cons:
Our company booked this hotel for us not realizing Santee's reputation. Apparently it is also known as Klan-tee for the KKK presence. My co-worker and I are African American and while we did not encounter any personal direct threats, we felt unsafe and moved to the Best Western Lamplighter Inn in El Cajon (15 or so mins away) which felt a lot safer and more comfortable. The manager at the new Inn was very friendly and had a great sense of humor.

Stayed September 2007
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2007

After a 8 day cruise, I planned to spend 10 days touring the San Diego area with a car.The motel was clean, Even though the hot tub was broken, who had time to use it. The motel is strategicaly located to access highways to go North, East South & West in the San Diego area.Loacted 1/4 away are large shopping malls with many stores & restaurants. The SanDiego trolley is also located nearby, with free parking. We used it to go to Old Town, Gas light district & the Mexican border.
The staff was friendly & helpfull with needed information. The breakfast room wasalittle on the small side, but adequate. Breakfast had fruit, yogurt, hot & clold cereal, pastries & bagels.
Excellant location if you are going to do heavy duty sightseeing & are using a car.

• Liked — cleallyness & location
  • Disliked — parking was a little tight
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to BEST WESTERN Santee Lodge? Share your experiences!