“Glad I took a chance!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Santee
Kingman, Arizona
“Glad I took a chance!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

After reading reviews about the condition of the rooms, I went to their website: www.carltonoaksgolf.com and was surprised to see how nice the featured room looked. Upon arrival, the room was depicted accurately on the website. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spacious. The room and bathroom were totally renovated. We had a quiet's night sleep.
The outdoor pool is non-functional because that is under renovation.
Breakfast in the restaurant was excellent - delicious eggs benedict! We did not hang out in the bar or have dinner at the restaurant, but they have a nice selection of microbrews.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Madison, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We came to Santee to visit my brother and his wife. This hotel is very close to his home and a great value. The restaurant is nice and we were able to sit outside and enjoy the weather while we had a great breakfast!

• Stayed September 2012
Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We attended a class reunion which was held at the club They gave our group a discount, which was appreciated. The rooms are in serious need of updating, but they were neat and clean. The staff was friendly. It worked well for not having to drive after the party. The hotel bar seems to be a hang out for a very young crowd.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Corona, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed a total of three nights while in town on business. Thankfully someone else was paying or I would have felt I was wasting my money! This property is in serious need of TLC and renovation. The "Country Club" is anything but. It is more of an old motel with a golf course attached.

From the outside it looks old - a brown building with very worn carpet on the outside walkway. And as I opened my room door, I felt transported to the 1970s. The chairs and bedspreads looked very 70s. While the room was clean and somewhat comfortable, I would not stay here again.

My room had two double beds. Thankfully, I was by myself because one of the two beds was crooked. It sloped horribly so that one would be constantly rolling to one side. The other bed was fine, albeit hard. The pillows were extremely thin and I was very thankful to have brought my own.

The amenities were severely lacking in the room. There was no hair dryer. There was a fridge. However, the dial to regulate the temperature was broken and so my water all froze. I gave up and drank it room temp!

The phone in the room lights up at night and puts off a horrible light. If you are like me and want a dark room for sleeping - good luck. I put two washcloths over the clock and still could not block out the light. There was a clock radio in the room but it got very few stations. I did not trust it so used my cell phone and asked the front desk for a wake up call.

The view of the golf course was nice, but I could have done without the 5:30 AM lawn mowing!

We ate in the restaurant on Sunday and had very good food. I had the Eggs Benedict which was yummy. However, the service was very slow. Sadly, the weekday service does not start until 7AM and we were out the door every morning by 6:30.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay the staff was courteous the room was nice and the oaks restaurant was very good. The beautiful landscape at the property was very natural and inviting. We would are for sure stay again. It's like a good bed and breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011
Encinitas, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

This is by far one of the most disgusting, depressing, run down places we have ever stayed. Seriously in need of a major major facelift. Actually, a full demolition of the lodge rooms would be best. Very prison-like. Indoor/outdoor carpeting throughout the room was... gross. Teeny tiny bathroom. Free mold included. The beds were hard as a rock... the sheets were scratchy... pillows flat as pancakes. God only knows what a black light would find here. Note to file... "do not go barefoot in these rooms". No table or chairs in our room, so in order to relax, we had to sit up in our beds. Very uncomfortable. Wifi signal so weak it was unusable. Walls so thin we could hear our neighbors next door loud and clear. The view from our room was a run-down neighborhood with old rusted-out cars sitting in driveways. Mind you, I had originally booked a room with a golf course view, but when we checked in they said these rooms weren't available because they had a flood earlier in the week and were closed until the problem could be fixed. So, we ended up with the 'other' view (please see my attached picture). Service in the restaurant/bar sucks. Our room rate was $75. Really? For what? Let's just say that when our 1 night stay was over and we checked out, we ended up paying only $48. And I think even that was too much. 'Nuf said.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Clean not-so-cheap, no-smoking room for a quick night to spend close to Gillespie Airport. I went there on a Saturday and it was as I was expecting: young people were partying outside (what could I expect from a Saturday night??) and therefore it was not as quite as I would have desired! Good reviews on trip advisor, some of them are a little bit too tight, but overall I agree with a "average" final rating. I would go there again...but only if I get it for 65$ or less!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Carlton Oaks Country Club San Diego? Share your experiences!