“Clean, polite, and a good deal for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Carlton Oaks Country Club San Diego
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9200 Inwood Dr., Santee, CA 92071   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Santee
Los Angeles, California
“Clean, polite, and a good deal for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed at the Lodge at Carlton Oaks Country Club after a family event nearby. We booked last minute (booked Fri night, stayed Sat) and Carlton Oaks was had the only available non-smoking rooms. A word of warning - we booked through Orbitz, and the phone number for Carlton Oaks given on the Orbitz confirmation email actually belongs to a hotel in Kansas. Fortunately, I was able to use my smartphone to look up the real phone number and confirm. The man at the reservation desk was pleasant and polite, both on the phone and when we checked in. The room, while definitely out-dated, was scrupulously clean. The bed was a bit firm, and the pillows would probably be considered a bit flat by most people (I happen to like lower profile pillows, so the pillows here were my favorite hotel pillows in a long time.) The advertised free wifi signal was so faint as to be unusable. Since we mainly needed a cheap, clean place to stay, and I can tether my laptop to my cell phone, we were not particularly put out by the wifi situation. The hotel itself is pretty quiet, but whenever the guests in neighboring rooms turned on the shower or rolled their luggage down the walkway, we heard it. Fortunately, my husband and I are sound sleepers. Overall, Carlton Oaks provided exactly what we needed: a clean, cheap, non-smoking room. The polite staff and view of the golf course were a plus. If we ever need to stay overnight at a hotel in the Santee area again, we'll probably check Carlton Oaks first..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Upland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

The location is in a neighborhood that can only be found by GPS or bread crumbs. There was an alledge security shack staffed by an imaginary guard. If you squinted your eyes you may have seen one or if you had a few cocktails you would see one for sure. My room was located in a separate wing in which I thought I was heading off to a prison block. The room had the enviroment of a 1970's adult movie ready to be filmed. The only thing that was missing was the music to accompany it. I couldn't seem to place any part of my body let alone my luggage on the bed. I loved the polyester bed cover. I would be affraid to see what a black light would discover. This could make a great episode of CSI. The bed was missing the magic fingers to make the bed more complete. The T.V. was so small that I could've used a set of binoculars to vew the T.V. The hotel did not even have internet. I would've been happy to use dial up. Thank god, I had a wireless card. The bathroom counter was large enough to be used as a slab in the county coroner's office. There was also a small refrigerator that was the size you could store a human head if you were a serial killer "Dexter". The bathroom had various stages of mold on the floor where you could've played some form of checkers. But, why risk placing any part of your body on the floor. The shower probably was used in the film "Psycho". I could've used a garden hose to get better results. Or, better yet, I should've just lather up and used the sprinkler system on the golf course. For a suggestion I would recommend using the drive through car wash for your bathing needs. Food you need to truck it in. I don't think Domino's can find this on the map. Send out the search party. If there is a decision to film another horror movie I would recommend this place for a great location. I forgot about the brick walls that create a memory of prison if you ever get to the big house.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Absolutely the worst experience in a hotel ever - and I stayed in some dumps back in my college days. Housekeeping quit early (11 am) one day, so our room was not cleaned. After we complained, they dropped off a bag filled with extra towels and some instant coffee at our door. Because there were pizza boxes that hadn't been removed from outside a neighboring room (again, no housekeeping service), we spent the night listening to animals root through the boxes and woke up to a disgusting disaster outside our room. VoIP phone seems like the only thing that has been done or added to this property in the last 20 years. I have to imagine having taken my family to stay in a hostel would have been a better idea.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sonoma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

The property is in need of updating, which the desk agent said is happening soon, but for the price it cannot be beat. The rooms are spotless and the view of the golf course is fantastic. If you're on a budget you will like the value and enjoy the scenery. We picked it because it is also near two casinos.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
La Mesa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were basic but some do offer a view of the great golf course they have. I would stay here again. I'm glad I found this hidden gem in Santee. Who would of known??

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
santee ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2007

We had to stay here because our apartment was sbeing fumigated.
The wallpaper was peeling off the walls of the lobby.
There wasnt a Ice machine to be seen.
The Bed couldnt of been harder and they used such a harsh detergent that I couldnt fall asleep because of the strong smell and it made my throat ich. I had to cover up the pillow with a blanket that I had brought, then it got better.
The showerhead looked like it was the first one ever invented, but it worked ok.
We were upstairs and it had to be frustrating for the people underneath us because I could tell that no matter how lightly we tried to walk, they could hear every step.
The restaurant was absurdly expensive.
***I set 2 of the hotels alarms- alarm clock and set a wake up call--and neither one of them worked. I was very late to work.

You might as well stay at a motel 6.

• Liked — Our room had a nice view of the small lake
  • Disliked — Their wake up calls and alarm clocks dont work, i was late to work and their sheets stunk
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Carlton Oaks Country Club San Diego? Share your experiences!