“wonderful dinner” 4 of 5 stars

(805) 688-4142
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Brothers Restaurant at the Red Barn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Santa Ynez
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: With a fresh, de rigueur exterior of barn-red paint, the interior expresses the warmth of a local tavern, using clean lines and a rustic feel. Accented with oak, restored branded wood beams, a white paneled ceiling and wrought iron lighting, the L-shaped room is refreshed, with higher ceilings and massive glass windows that open the space. As before, there is an open display kitchen observing the chefs at work. Newly created for the restaurant is a glass-enclosed wine room flanking the dining room that co-exists with two wood-burning fireplaces preserved from the original Red Barn. Firewood is supplied by the Agin Brothers, the family that has serviced the Nichols family with seasoned wood for ten years. Two wrought iron and rope chandeliers, hand crafted by local blacksmith Hans Duus, illuminate the room and are lighted with replicas of vintage Edison light bulbs, with more of the Edison-styled glass globes accenting the room. The walls are decorated with historical photographs of Los Rancheros Visitores, the club of local horsemen and ranchers dating back to 1929. Salvaged during the construction was wallpaper discovered under layers of paint and paneling, beautifully illustrated with dancing girls, pistols, playing cards and saloons, now preserved, framed, and gracing the dining room walls. JC's handsome bar was created by locals Scott and Chris Bruhn who used a felled pine tree salvaged from Figueroa Mountain to form the expansive bar top.
Los Angeles, California
“wonderful dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2015 NEW

walking distance from hotel, friendly service, good food. it was a bit crowded when we went, best to make reservations in advance

Visited April 2015

Santa Ynez, California
“Great local spot with delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2015

There were three of us dining and we all enjoyed the evening. It is a little expensive to dine here, but I felt that it was worth it. The food was prepared perfectly for each meal.
I had the Caesar salad and it was delicious, followed by the Salmon and it was prepared perfectly...all of us commented on how each dish was perfectly prepared and was served piping hot...not luke warm. This restaurant has a nice ambience and the service was exceptional...there are quite a few good choices for a nice dinner in the Santa Ynez Valley now and this is a good one indeed.

Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
“Down Home Goodness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2015

I recently visited Santa Barbra and while there, my fellow crewmember and I decided to cruise about the area and take in some sites. After a drive over the Santa Ynez Mountains, we drove northward on Rt 154 and stopped by the Cachuma Lake Recreation area. The scenery in this area of the country is breathtakingly beautiful to say the least. We pressed onward, taking CA 246 and stopped in the quiet little town of Santa Ynez for a bite to eat. This quiet, rustic little town, located in California wine country, with its old style architecture was reminiscent of the old west. It was there, located at 3539 Sagunto St, Santa Ynez, CA, that we discovered the Brothers Restaurant at the Red Barn. Upon our entrance we were immediately greeted by the staff who quickly ushered us to our table. The rich history of the restaurant was presented in its western decor. The staff was very welcoming and friendly yet professional. Eric Andrews, the waiter who attended our table, was very courteous and knowledgeable. His pleasant demeanor reflected his sincere appreciation of our patronage and his true interest in our culinary desires. Although, the restaurant offers a variety of cuisine. To Eric's suggestion, I ordered the Bacon and Avocado Burger which came with Butter lettuce and ranch, sweet potato fries. I must say that it was without doubt, the best burger that I have ever eaten. For desert, again suggested by Eric, I ordered the Cheesecake and was very taken how delicious it was. My sincere complements to the to the chef. Eric's friendly and professional demeanor reflects greatly to his credit and to the credit of the restaurant. I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant. If you are ever in the Santa Barbra area, you owe it to yourself to take a short 40 minute drive up to Santa Ynez through the wine country and dine at the Brothers Restaurant at the Red Barn, in Santa Ynez. It is well worth the drive and I assure you that you will be very pleased. I know that if I am ever again blessed with the opportunity, I will definitely return to dine there again.

It give me great pleasure to offer the Brothers Restaurant at the Red Barn my highest recommendations to all who visit the area. It is most definitely at the top of my list of most desirable restaurants.

I hope that this review is of help to you in your journeys through the Santa Barbra / Santa Yenz areas.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santa Barbara, California
“Our 15th Wedding Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2015

We celebrated our 15th Wedding Anniversary here for dinner. The food is so delicious and cooked exactly to your order. I enjoyed the rack of lamb and there was so much I took a bit home with me. This came with garlic mashed potatoes which just slid down. My husband had the Prime Rib 12oz cut (there is also a 16oz cut) which was beautiful and rare also with the mashed potatoes. We then shared the lemon cheese cake for dessert. I couldn't recommend this place more highly! It's a bit pricy but so worth it!

• Visited April 2015
Mission Viejo, California
“Excellent food, service needs to catch up”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2015

Our group of 15 made dinner reservations 2 weeks in advance. We had to wait 30+ minutes because a previous group was still lingering after 3 hours and refusing the request to move to another area and open the table. They offered us free drinks but we had already been wine tasting all day...instead, they comp'd the corkage fee when we asked. Nice of the restaurant even though it wasn't their fault.

The food itself was excellent...I had the pear/Stilton/walnut salad (amazing!) and the salmon was the right balance of crispy and moist. Everyone in the group enjoyed their food.

The main dining room is very noisy- the enclosed "patio" is a little quieter. Service was good, yet rather impersonal and too "efficient". It would be fine for Cheesecake Factory but could be improved to complete the fine dining experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Food