“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Santa Ynez
Ventura, California
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Everyone is very nice the rooms are beautiful. The staff are very friendly and my spa day was magical. The Willows dinner was really good. I will be back again. I got the surf and turf. Everywhere is very clean

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

It is sad and surprising that my experience at this hotel ended up being terrible. I visit the casino often (probably shouldn't admit that) and was very excited to finally use one of my great hotel offers. Have been planning this getaway for weeks.

The hotel is pleasant and clean, but that doesn't really matter if you are treated poorly by any member of the customer service staff, which was the case here.

No cell service: I had no idea that all most mobile carriers do not provide service due to the location of this hotel. Had I known, I would have never planned to stay because I have to conduct business with my cell phone in between "fun" breaks.

After I checked in and dropped my luggage off in the room I went to the casino for several hours. Upon returning and attempting to catch up on my work, I was not able to obtain cell service in my room, by hanging off my balcony or standing in the cold outside, so I used the room phone to call the front desk. Now I can honestly say that in my years of staying at hotels around the world, I have NEVER come across a customer service staff member as condescending, belligerent and most of all, snarky as I had at this hotel. I'm still in shock.

I will admit by all means that I was frustrated, but at the start of our conversation, I made a simple and calm request. I explain that it was a problem that I could not use my phone and that I would have to check out and drive the 2 hours back home. I requested my whopping $19 back for my room. (It was a matter of principle). The employee, H**e, said "No, I can't do that" you "used" the room. I explained that I did not touch anything, just dropped my luggage off earlier. I asked her to contact a manager. She flat out said, "NO". That's when the conversation didn't go well. I asked her several times to contact a manager and each time she said that there was no manager around and that she couldn't reach one. She talked over me constantly and I found myself sinking to that awful level of raising my voice....not yelling, to clarify, but yes, raising my voice to talk over her constant use of "I can't" and I won't" expressions.

After she hung up on me, I went downstairs and stood there and listened to her as she had a phone conversation with the manager about the situation...something I requested many times and she told me "NO" and " I can't!" After that simple conversation with the manager, she said that I could have a refund. At that point I asked her why she couldn't have just agreed to call the manager in the first place and avoid the unpleasant conversation. She just looked at me and told me to check out before they make the key invalid to my room.

After I picked up my luggage and went to check out, that's when the snarky and belligerent behavior actually really began. I can only hope that the hotel records conversations on their phones as well as in their lobby. If so, someone needs to sit down and review to hear how and what H**e said to me. There were no raised voices, just low, deep, indirect insults and comments that came out of her mouth. I actually left the hotel shaking my head in amazement at how someone who is supposed to be a professional, courteous customer service person could be allowed to speak with a guest in that manner. I deal with customers all day long, some not pleasant, but would not have a job if I ever treated a customer in the manner in which I was treated by this representative of the hotel. The exchange did not warrant this type of behavior and could have easily have been avoided had she just agreed to contact a manager.

To sum up, unfortunate and unnecessary experience that ruined what was supposed to be a special time. If you need to use a cell phone on your visit to Chumash, check if your carrier provides service first. The gentleman whom I dealt with initially regarding this situation told me that several guests have complained about the same issue and it is a problem.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thousand Oaks, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Having visited several casinos in California and Las Vegas over the years, The Chumash is by far my favorite. Staff at both the casino hotel and the Hotel Corque are outstanding, from lower level to the Executive Hosts. They apparently have an excellent training program for all employees as EVERYBODY you encounter treats you like they are truly glad to have you there, and are eager to assist with any requests or questions.
The buffet is reasonable, and always very good, and offers a wide selection. I wish they offered a breakfast buffet as well as the lunch and dinner offerings.
The cafe is open 24 hrs and offers an excellent choice of breakfast, lunch and dinner items, also at very reasonable prices.
As for the gambling, the player rewards and comps are very good. Also, you get a fair shot at winning with the large choice of machines and the fact that they don't clip you on your winnings when you do win, as is happening at so many other Indian and Vegas casinos. The Chumash pays the full odds on machine payoffs , whereas other casinos I have visited are skimming up to 25% off the top on payouts.
In summation, I feel like a valued guest/customer at the Chumash , and not just another pocket to pick. I go there a lot , and the rooms at both places are excellent, and staffs at both are top notch.

Room Tip: The rooms with a balcony are especially nice as the views are outstanding.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
North Hills, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Rooms are very clean but beds could be more comfortable. The service and customer service is very good. Like the slots there however they take out some and replace them too soon.The meals at the buffet are so so and the staff there are very courteous.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here October 2013, through a friend who is a high roller and gets comp rooms. They truly take care of their good players because the room and meals are all comped! They also give newcomers free play so it's a great incentive. When we arrived, it was still a bit early and our rooms were not yet ready at noon so we headed to the buffet. Small compared to Vegas standards, it is still pretty good as they have a variety of salads, breakfast, lunch/dinner options, prime rib/ham and desserts. The crowded noisy smoke filled casino is separate from the hotel, thank goodness! The lobby is very clean and quiet and has huge paintings of Native Americans and Native American art, I assume of the Chumash tribe. Front desk are friendly, we go up to our rooms. The elevators are operated by key card only, so you have to make sure you have the key to go up or have to give it to family or friends visiting. On the way up, we saw the pool which was small by resort standards, but there was hardly anyone there because everyone comes for the casino and the buffet, aside from the fact that it was already cold.
The spa is also a ghost town, there wasn't anyone there on that side of the hotel.
The room was surprisingly beautiful! I love the blue and brown tones, the cabinetry, the desk workspace, the huge flat screen TV, the Keurig coffee maker, fridge, flat iron, their own branded water. The bar is fully stocked, but be careful not to move anything or else you will be charged. The bathroom is huge, with a rainforest showerhead, nice toiletries, blowdryer, moodlighting. I love the scented soap and the shampoo/body wash! They also have turn down service, chocolates and water or towel refresh every night. There is also a big balcony that looks out to the front driveway, which is very busy at night on weekends.
The Chumash Casino isn't walkable to any nearby shops or attractions, but they do have shuttles to Solvang and their sister properties Hotel Corque and Hadsten Inn that are in the hear of Solvang and walking distance to the shops if that's what you want. However, it is a 3 mile shuttle ride to the casino. It might be nice to try those other ones in the future.
The weekend we went, the casino hosted an Oktoberfest event for high rollers, with German beer, food, desserts, coffee and apple cider. They gave away free play as well. We were shuttled on big motor coaches, which was very nice and the event was fun in the brisk October fall weather.
The casino treats its players very nicely-they are mostly in the older demographic 50's-80's, so this is not for the young crowd but the hotel has lots of families too (especially at buffets).
The hotel was nice and I had a surprisingly great time even though I'm not much of a gambler!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor balcony!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Chumash Casino is an nice casino/hotel. Hotel has been updated with in the last year, clean & nice. Casino floor, slots/tables are esay to get to and use/play. buffet is small, food is so so, buffet staff are vary good. The casino has cut back on the comps given out. Comps are generally better at other casinos in California. overall Chumash is a nice casino, with room for improvement in regards to comps.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Norco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

the place is very nice but it is the first casino i have ever been to that you cant have a drink on the floor there is only one place to get a drink and that was at the restaurant upstairs but the drinks are very good

Room Tip: get a top floor room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chumash Casino Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!