“A weekend getaway” 5 of 5 stars

3400 East Highway 246, Santa Ynez, CA 93460   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Santa Ynez
“A weekend getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Never heard of this place until I went to a Clipper game and saw them as a sponsor. Absolutely beautiful drive along the coast. The rooms were very nice and from what I heard, renovated. The restaurant, Willow, was by far one of my favorites. Great service, great food, and nice ambience. Although the clientele has a local flare, everyone seemed really nice. The only bad thing is the casino doesn't have a good ventilation system so it's really smokey on busy nights.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I am a complete hotel snob, and usually stay at Bacara or Four Seasons in Santa Barbara, but got tired of shlepping to Buellton from SB. I just stayed at the Chumash since they had recently remodeled their rooms. Room was very nice, clean and updated. By far the best room in the area. Nino, the manager was very helpful and I would totally recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Great service from the Valet all the way to the buffet. Great variety of food. The casino is kind of small but overall it was fun. Very helpful and friendly staff. I will most definitely be returning to Chumash Casino!!!

• Stayed February 2013
newbury park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I grant you the casino is small, and only one time we had a problem with getting a machine(it was a holiday), but as for all those complaints "Las Vegas I have been there many times and each time I say I will never go back there. The casinos are so loud, the streets are crouded and the traffic is impossible. You take your life in your hands driving. I have been to several casinos down in San Diego way and in CT., and my sister, brother and I all agree that Chumash is by far the best. As for the beverage carts, they are never rude and you do not have to hunt them down. The cafe and buffet are great the food is good and my sister says it is the only place to get a good cup of tea. My family always feels happy to return to Chumash after we have been to those other casinos.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are ausome casino is small AND smells horable :( and I brought,an electronic cigarette :) to bad we all don't use our brains... Cafe absolutely SUCKED!!!!! They said they have breakfast at 3 am but when we ordered the waiter said there only serving some breakfast hash browns were greasy very unprofessional staff low class people the casino is full of immigrants I THINK I WILL CONTINUE TO SPEND MY MONEY AT PALS CASINO MAYBE SOMEDAY THIS CAN BE A GREAT PLACE TO GO BUT YOU MUST HAVE PROFESSIONAL STAFF THE ONLY PERSON THAT WAS COOL WAS A CASINO EMPLOYEE HE MADE SURE I GOT TO MY ROOM SAFE I GOT LOST GOING BACK TO MY ROOM SO HE TOOK ME.. GIFT SHOP WAS CLASSY LIKED THE QUALITY.. Casino NEEDS A NEW AUTOMOSPHERE rooms are priced too high ...$ 180.00 is a bit much when you dont even have a varity of foods or drinks and when you walk into the ugly casino automosphere.. 180.00 is too high don't waist your time people I know Nice and Classy when I see it and this is a 5

• Stayed February 2013
Valencia, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This review is coming several months late but being I'm a glutton for punishment, I've been to this hole twice now during me and my boyfriends annual 5 day trip to Santa Barbara and hopefully we've finally learned our lesson. In all fairness, we've never stayed at the Chumash Hotel (and WON'T EVER) only visited to enjoy the Casino. Let me just start out by saying that I know this isn't Vegas and to even try to compare it would be ridiculous so when I first arrived on my first visit 1 1/2 years ago, my expectations weren't very high. Even walking in with mediocre expectations you realize instantly how low budget this place really is. It's not so much the aesthetics of the place as it is the crowd, the configuration and the staff.

Walking in you're engulfed in clouds of smoke which creates an almost opaque haze. I know to expect smoke considering it's a casino but this was DISGUSTING and needed to air out BADLY. There weren't enough machines, no alcohol is served on the casino floor (that didn't really bother me much) and ALOT of the people just seemed like low lifes. I'm not an ignorant person nor do I state such a comment lightly however, when I hear people going up to the cashiers asking if they can use their EBT cards to gamble, or if they cash pay checks and when the cashiers actually know the names of some of these people asking these questions, I have to tell you it made me cringe! Nevertheless, my boyfriend and I said lets play $50 on the slots and get the heck out. Well we played and the only redeeming part of the Casino visit was we won $800. We left and vowed never to come back.

Fast forward to July 2012 on another 5 day trip to Santa Barbara and we decided on the second night there we would give Chumash Casino another try since we had such great luck last time with our $800 win. Well we go, this time with more optimism and the moment we stepped in the lobby, it was as if we travelled back in time to the low rent place we remembered. We were once again engulfed in cigarette smoke, all the best machines were taken and the crowd was even worse than before. As my boyfriend and I walked around we couldn't believe how some of these people lacked such propriety not only in how they were dressed but their behavior. There were people literally with there shoes and socks off putting their nasty feet up on the casino machines while they were gambling. My boyfriend looked at me and said "are these people serious?". One lady had her feet up on a vacant seat next to hers while she was playing the slots and someone went up to her and asked her if they could sit there to play and she looked at this person defiantly and said "don't you see I have my feet up?". That person looked just like a regular visitor like us and didn't want any problems and just smiled and walked away.

I went up to one of the floor staff and asked them if allowing people to take there shoes and socks off and putting their feet up on the casino chairs and machines is something they generally allow and the staff lady said point blank, "these people are our bread butter because they come in almost everyday so we just let them be". Needless to say my boyfriend and I were disgusted and we didn't even want to stay and play so we just left.

At the end of the day, this Casino is a HOLE and I would not recommend this place to anyone even if you just wanted to play the slots. I only say this because if you're someone who values at least some semblance of manners and propriety and doesn't get to worked up over what I described above then go for it. But this place is LOW RENT ALL THE WAY!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Santa Ynez hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Stay away from this place. Too many people, not enough machines. They also need to train their staff (especially security personnel & beverage servers) on proper way to treat customers - they're very RUDE (special mention to TAYLOR from security, who seems to know NOTHING about handling customers). They'll make you feel as if you're doing them a favor by patronizing their casino. Just spend your money for a trip to Vegas!
I used to like this casino but quality of service has gone down the drain.. these people don't deserve your money.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Chumash Casino Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!