“LOW RENT ALL THE WAY!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Santa Ynez
Valencia, California
“LOW RENT ALL THE WAY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This review is coming several months late but being I'm a glutton for punishment, I've been to this hole twice now during me and my boyfriends annual 5 day trip to Santa Barbara and hopefully we've finally learned our lesson. In all fairness, we've never stayed at the Chumash Hotel (and WON'T EVER) only visited to enjoy the Casino. Let me just start out by saying that I know this isn't Vegas and to even try to compare it would be ridiculous so when I first arrived on my first visit 1 1/2 years ago, my expectations weren't very high. Even walking in with mediocre expectations you realize instantly how low budget this place really is. It's not so much the aesthetics of the place as it is the crowd, the configuration and the staff.

Walking in you're engulfed in clouds of smoke which creates an almost opaque haze. I know to expect smoke considering it's a casino but this was DISGUSTING and needed to air out BADLY. There weren't enough machines, no alcohol is served on the casino floor (that didn't really bother me much) and ALOT of the people just seemed like low lifes. I'm not an ignorant person nor do I state such a comment lightly however, when I hear people going up to the cashiers asking if they can use their EBT cards to gamble, or if they cash pay checks and when the cashiers actually know the names of some of these people asking these questions, I have to tell you it made me cringe! Nevertheless, my boyfriend and I said lets play $50 on the slots and get the heck out. Well we played and the only redeeming part of the Casino visit was we won $800. We left and vowed never to come back.

Fast forward to July 2012 on another 5 day trip to Santa Barbara and we decided on the second night there we would give Chumash Casino another try since we had such great luck last time with our $800 win. Well we go, this time with more optimism and the moment we stepped in the lobby, it was as if we travelled back in time to the low rent place we remembered. We were once again engulfed in cigarette smoke, all the best machines were taken and the crowd was even worse than before. As my boyfriend and I walked around we couldn't believe how some of these people lacked such propriety not only in how they were dressed but their behavior. There were people literally with there shoes and socks off putting their nasty feet up on the casino machines while they were gambling. My boyfriend looked at me and said "are these people serious?". One lady had her feet up on a vacant seat next to hers while she was playing the slots and someone went up to her and asked her if they could sit there to play and she looked at this person defiantly and said "don't you see I have my feet up?". That person looked just like a regular visitor like us and didn't want any problems and just smiled and walked away.

I went up to one of the floor staff and asked them if allowing people to take there shoes and socks off and putting their feet up on the casino chairs and machines is something they generally allow and the staff lady said point blank, "these people are our bread butter because they come in almost everyday so we just let them be". Needless to say my boyfriend and I were disgusted and we didn't even want to stay and play so we just left.

At the end of the day, this Casino is a HOLE and I would not recommend this place to anyone even if you just wanted to play the slots. I only say this because if you're someone who values at least some semblance of manners and propriety and doesn't get to worked up over what I described above then go for it. But this place is LOW RENT ALL THE WAY!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Stay away from this place. Too many people, not enough machines. They also need to train their staff (especially security personnel & beverage servers) on proper way to treat customers - they're very RUDE (special mention to TAYLOR from security, who seems to know NOTHING about handling customers). They'll make you feel as if you're doing them a favor by patronizing their casino. Just spend your money for a trip to Vegas!
I used to like this casino but quality of service has gone down the drain.. these people don't deserve your money.

• Stayed December 2012
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We drove towards Chumash Casino from a quick side trip to Solvang and got there at around 5:30 PM all the way from Los Angeles area today. We arrived at the casino front lobby after such a bad weather experience of hail and rain on the road approximately 10 miles away from Solvang. After parking our vehicles and arriving at the casino front lobby, a lady employee by the last name of Tayloy, standing by the stairway area lobby of the casino, stopped us immediately and without saying some greetings at all of anything simply and spoke out loud and said in such a very commanding and very rude manner that went like this " Kids are not allowed beyond this point". We happened to be travelling in two vehicles with our 1 year old grandson, a 7 year old grand daughter and 9 adults all exited to have some good fun but with the plan of taking the kids somewhere perhaps by a play area or by the hotel lobby or get a hotel room. To our dismay this very rude employee simply said out loud that you can't take the kids anywhere as there is no place in the hotel and no place anywhere to hang out for them period. Isn't there a better way of saying to your customers that were sorry, our hotel is undergoing renovation and it's close and unfortunately we don't have any facilities to accomodate the kids for the time being. She simply did not give any suggestions or whatsoever except to say that you can't pass beyond this point with your kids. That's why I lashed back to her saying that the way she talked is simply very rude and see just doesn't care at all. She even made gestures with her hands of blah blah and I simply can't believe why they put someone in the front with that kind of personality. Calling on the management of this casino! Your customers should be treated with some respect, courtesy and kindness as we are the reason why you are in the business. Calling on your Managers as far as training your people on how to talk nicely to customers! The said employee even called up another guy to show her enormous power over anyone who might cross the line. Stupid act by an arrogant employee who should be working not on the front lobby but in a county jail with such a very impolite attitude! Negative 5 rating for this place! So sad!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

This place is a joke... The staff has no idea whats going on.... When asked a question about the casino they have to go ask their "managers" which seem like talking to poorly educated 5 year olds... The food is well below standard but I guess thats what you get when you serve the same thing week after week after week... I actually saw a customer at the buffet go up to get food and she had her little dog with her in her handbag and was letting her dog eat the buffet items... The staff did nothing!!!! Stay far far away from this place... Very poorly run...

• Stayed March 2012
Simi Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

When i met my wife, I took her to Chumash for a night out. This was 2006. the Machines were fair and paid out. Since they expanded. We have lost more then we won. If you spend $2000, the host will tell you that your play is to low for a $25.00 Buffet.they don't give anything away any more. they also do not have to report what percent the slot machines are set up as well. Vegas has to report all of this and is around 85-92%. I would guess that Chumash is around 65%. no air quality, after 1 hour, you choke on 2nd hand smoke and cant breathe. absolutely horrible. Go to Vegas

Room Tip: Don't stay here , stay in San Ynez, The Viking is $90 a night, 5 minutes away. free breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

This place is good for an occasional concert. It is a small venue and they get some decent performers. As far as gambling, I would NOT recommend this place. In the early days you could expect to win something here and there. But noticably not so much anymore. I do live in the area and a lot of people I know share the same feeling. Also, during a game of blackjack the dealer got EXACTLY 21 almost everytime! Sketchy!!! Beware! Well, the 40+K per month payments to tribal members has to come from somewhere! Stick to Vegas for gambling.

• Stayed September 2012
Valencia, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

NOTE: This review is for the hotel only, not the casino.

I have stayed at this hotel at least a dozen times during the past 5 years, and I always enjoy my stays!

This is a beautifully designed, classy and clean hotel with an exceptionally trained staff. The rooms are comfortable, beautiful and the beds have always been super-comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Chumash Casino Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!