“Yummy every time!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Trattoria Grappolo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 19 Restaurants in Santa Ynez
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Meadowale
Transit: Santa Ynez valley shuttle stops in front of the restaurant.
Santa Barbara, California
“Yummy every time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Love this place for the food, drinks and people watching!

Visited March 2011

Nantucket, Massachusetts
“Just Missed 5 Stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Grappolo has arguably the finest Italian food in the entire Santa Ynez Valley. Great menu selection, inventive specials and an adequate (but horribly overpriced) wine list. The restaurant has a separate building for larger parties, which is where my group was seated. It is in this area where they fell down. There is room there for up to 5 large parties. There was another, larger party already there, who were loud to the point of obnoxiousness. Luckily they finished well before we did. Second criticism was they insisted on constantly replaying the same CD of really terrible Italian music-think Italian MUZAK. Third area of problems was the worst-this building has no facilities of its own, so everything has to be brought out from the main building-it took us three hours to get through dinner. Final problem was paying the bill. I knew my friends would argue interminably about splitting the bill, so my partner and I arranged to get a separate check. After giving the server my card, 15 minutes passed. I collared our server and asked where the final check was, as we had a long drive ahead of us. She said she was waiting for the rest of the party to figure things out so she would not have to make two trips to the card processing machine in the main building. Needless to say, I left no tip above the one automatically charged by the restaurant.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Laguna Niguel, California
“Just like back in Italy--Mama mia!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We ate two lunches and a dinner here during a three day stay in the Santa Ynez Valley. We could have eaten every lunch and dinner here! I ordered an eggplant pizza for lunch on our first visit and, as soon as I saw it, knew this was a REAL Italian restaurant. It was an individual size pizza but over-hung the dinner plate by three inches all around.Yet, it was as light as air with a super-thin crust and very fresh toppings. Even with its generous slabs of sauted eggplant, I was able to eat all but one slice (and I'm not a big eater).
Even though it wasn't on the menu, at my husband's request they made the best fettucine Alfredo he says he's had anywhere. I had the linguine with fresh clams and it was excellent.
And the desserts were just as exceptional: a classic tartufo and a marvelously moist, melt-in-your-mouth flourless chocolate cake.
The restaurant was almost full the Monday night we had dinner there. Better make resies if it's a weekend.
How we wish we had a restaurant like this trattoria where we live!

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
California
“Tres Magnifique! Magnifico! Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Come in for a taste of Italy! This cozy restaurant offers signature meals at a fraction of gourmet prices. Take advantage of its location & enjoy their wine selection!

Visited March 2011
Denver, Colorado, USA
“Just the right vibe, service and food to celebrate our anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Santa Ynez Inn for two nights (see my separate review of that wonderful property). On our first night we ventured down the street to Trattoria Grappolo and I'm so glad we did. The place was hopping, in a fun, festive way. It was clear that there were many repeat customers as there was friendly banter between servers and diners. Even though we were newbies, we were made to feel right at home by our waitress. And the food -- so, so good and fresh from starters (great calamari) through to the wonderful chocolate dessert the restaurant provided (without our asking) to celebrate our anniversary. We spent some time chatting with the chef and just generally enjoying a lovely evening in a comfortable, friendly restaurant. For us, dining is much more than tasting great food (which you will if you dine here) -- it encompasses the entire experience from entering the restaurant through that last sip of wine or coffee - and that means the service staff factors in greatly when I decide how to rate a restaurant. What a contrast Trattoria Grappolo was to the next night when we traveled to Bouchon in Santa Barbara for what was supposed to be the best meal of our trip. No way. In all departments (atmosphere, service, food), Trattoria Grappolo topped Bouchon.

• Visited September 2011