“Yum!”

Cuisines: Italian
Most recent review
- Sep 22, 2013
Reserve with OpenTable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.

88% Recommend
There are newer reviews for SY Kitchen
Santa Barbara, California
“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

First time here...had heard good things. The flavors were amazing. Service was perfect. Atmosphere was very comfortable.
Truly a very good dining experience! We will be back, for sure!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ventura, California
“SY Kitchen - Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Three friends from different cities said it was great, so we took the plunge. And it was great. Even the oven roasted bread was great. I had Spaghetti de Mare....in a white sauce....excellent. My wife got the giant pork chop...done to perfection. (I never attempt a pork chop out since often they are overcooked.) We shared the Pana Cotta which was very good. Plus our waiter was actually Italian. Also, the Chianti I ordered was very nice. And our hostess knew her Italian wines and gave us a couple of names for our trip to Italy. All of the staff we dealt with were great. Nice way to end a day of wine tasting. I let my wife drive me home.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santa Barbara, California
“Great food but some of the staff needs a refresher course in professionalism”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

What we loved:
Great Food and delighted to have a new dining option in Santa Ynez.
Attractive Decor
Bartender Extraordinaire - He expertly mixed exotic cocktails, watched every detail of our meal at the bar to make sure everything was perfect, all while training a new staff member. When other staff were getting upset he stayed focused and never even looked in their direction. A true professional in every way.

What needs improvement:
Wine is a little pricey - not a great value.

We booked at the last minute and were told we could reserve two seats at the bar at the time we wanted. Five minutes later we were called back and told that we couldn't reserve at the bar and would need to come at 5 or 8 o'clock. We went arrived at our originally requested time of 6:30 and other than one gentlemen who left before we were served dinner, the bar was empty the whole time we were there.

We love Italians but sitting at the bar we were privy to flaring tempers between the chef, wait staff and the manager who seemed to be running around in a frenzy the entire time we were there. I imagine that diners seated at tables were unaware of the problems but they need to be reminded to deal with them out of view of customers. Some of the team definitely needs some polish. Their behavior was very amateurish.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent Italian cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

A local resident recommended this place for a recent business trip I took to the Solvang area. I have to say, it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten! I started out with one of the night's special appetizers, basically a Caprese salad but they called it something different, in Italian. :) I could tell when I took my first bite that it was something special. The tomatoes were so good I just knew they had to be local and fresh, and after inquiring with our server, yes they were from a farm just down the road! They were incredible. And the mozarrella, oh my. I think I could have made a meal and just order about 3 servings of this appetizer.

For the entree I ordered the duck ragu, which was basically a duck meat sauce over pasta. It was delicious. The portion was very generous and I'm sorry to say I didn't have room to finish it.

The wait staff was top notch and very attentive to our large group. They were very accommodating and helpful at explaining the menu items, even though at times I had trouble understanding because of their Italian accent. But that made it even more fun.

I will say my friend ordered the seafood pasta, which looked incredible. It was a huge pile of shellfish mixed in with pasta. Another friend ordered the artichoke appetizer which also looked beautiful.

It isn't the cheapest place to eat but it was well worth the money. It was a little chilly and we didn't get to sit outside and enjoy the firepit, but it looked really neat, and there was seating outside to enjoy a glass of wine. They even provided blankets if you wanted to stay warm.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santa Monica, California
“Awesome new Italian spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I often travel to the Santa Barbara area bc this is where my parents live and the Santa Ynez Valley is one of my fab spots to hit especially if I'm looking for some good wine. I was very happy to see a new option for a restaurant with SY kitchen. I had heard some good things and they turned out to be true. This place has somewhat of an LA feel to it while still feeling homey and staying true to the Santa Ynez vibe. Food was great, not too fancy, more like it would be in Italy. All of the food seemed to be very fresh. Also had a great wine list w a lot of good local and Italian wines. I asked the waiter for his suggestion as I always do and everything he suggested was great. It was real busy so I suggest getting a reso. Cool new spot for sure

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere