“Good Modern Italian Food in Santa Ynez” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 17 Restaurants in Santa Ynez
Cuisines: Italian
Manhattan Beach, California
“Good Modern Italian Food in Santa Ynez”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a good dinner spot on a recent Saturday night in Santa Ynez Valley. Since we had already been to the Ballard Restuarant (a fav) we decided to check out something new and it ended up that we were glad that we did.

We saw that Santa Ynez had a new restaurant SY Kitchen and luckily enough they had a spot open. When we got there the place was buzzing. When we entered and were greeted by the staff, we were told we were going to have a little wait. To make up for the wait, they gave both of us a glass of champagne (nice touch) and we headed outside to wait by the outside lounge, comfy couches by a fire pit (that wasn't working through). After about 10 minutes we were at out table, all warmed up with some bubbly and ready to go! We were worried after reading reviews that the place was going to be very noisy but that wasn't the case where we were seated (in the front room that is partly open air).

As far as the food goes, this place is a good change for Santa Ynez with the food being very fresh and not over sauced (like some Italian food can be). Loved the fresh veggie bowl and tasty bread to start. As an appetizer course, we decided to split two salads. The Pea salad was really great and something I've never had before. I could have had a whole meal of that. The artichoke salad was not as good - it's a salad on the blander side. It just seemed to need a sharper flavor somewhere to accent the artichoke slices.

For my main entree I had the macchercini with truffle and it was really very good and I loved the truffle slices (and in good amount) and flavor. I could have this dish over and over again. My wife had burrata appetizer as her main which she liked. The wine selection was very good and extensive enough to be good for everyone. Overall a real plus experience and we'll be back for sure. One downside was even though service was pretty good and the wait staff was very nice, the staff was really running around nearly racing (ok maybe a little exaggeration but only a little) table to kitchen. It was a bit disconcerting to have all this motion going on in the background while trying to have a nice meal. Other areas of the restaurant had good ambiance - bar and waiting areas are nice.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Connroe, TX
“Good Food Just Off the main street”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Even though it's only a half block off Santa Ynez' main street, this excellent restaurant would be hard to find, except for all the cars parked in front. The food was very good and the service was top notch.
The only negative I could mention is that my wife asked for a "to go" box, and the busboy stacked all the other used dishes on TOP of her food and then returned with the food in a box.

Visited August 2013
Solvang, California
“Branzino”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Recently my wife and I visited the SY Kitchen for dinner. It had only been open a short time and we had heard about it from some friends, so we gave it a try. There are a number of really excellent restaurants in the SY Valley, and I'm sure with time, SY Kitchen will get there. So as not to make it sound as if our dinner wasn't very good, it was. I had the Branzino which they filleted right at the table. I had a few bones, but that was not really a problem. The fish was delicate and tasty. My wife had gnocchi, which she enjoyed very much. The restaurant is a little noisy, but most seem to be these days. All in all, a good dining experience. We will be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newbury Park, California
“Food good, atmosphere not”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The food was very good but the place is very small and noisy. The seats are not very comfortable. We will go back but I would recommend going during the weekday when it is not so crowded and noisy.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Algonquin, Illinois
“Outstanding meal and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had a fantastic meal at S Y Kitchen in Santa Ynez. Our server was excellent and made lots of recommendations. All the food was great from the roasted chicken to the fish and pasta. The homemade chocolate gelato with caramelized bananas is wonderful. They also have a nice selection of wine. This was one of the best meals of our trip!

• Visited July 2013