“Good food....very poor service.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 17 Restaurants in Santa Ynez
Cuisines: Bakery
Whittier, California
“Good food....very poor service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My daughter and I found this place for lunch about a month ago. We really loved the food. So much so in fact, that we decided to have them cater her baby shower. Although the sandwiches for the shower were excellent, the service was appalling. Here's what happened:

1. I left my number for manager Amy to call me re catering. I was told Amy would call me on Monday (this was a Saturday).

2. When I called on Wednesday, Amy said they lost the number. I placed a tentative order after discussing what I'd like. Amy told me that the price would be between $180 and $200 for 25-30 people, but would get back to me later today with a final price.

3. Three days later I called back after not hearing anything (I should have bailed at this point). Amy apologized stating that she's "so flaky" and that she was sorry that she hadn't called me back. She then went on to quote me $400 for sandwiches because the imported ham was so expensive. I told her that this was twice what she originally quoted, and that I can't pay that much money for sandwiches. We then negotiated $230 for 20 assorted sandwiches cut in half. Still pretty expensive if you ask me. I went along with it because at this point, the date was fast approaching and I don't live in town so researching new places wasn't possible. I clearly confirmed the date and time of pick up with her.

4. The morning of the shower, I called Amy and she said that she thought the date was in September. REALLY!?!?!?! I was beyond infuriated. She promised that the food would be ready on time. The stress this caused was tremendous.

5. When my son in law went to pick the sandwiches up, he was charged an additional $30 for "tax". Amy should have included this in the quote.

The sandwiches were delicious. However, the process in getting them was a nightmare. Amy did call me a week later to apologize which I appreciated, and offered me a free lunch to make up for my bad experience. However, I don't plan to ever visit Baker'sTable again. Way too negative an experience.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Santa Ynez, California
“A little gem in Santa Ynez.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I seriously had problems figuring out where this place was. The restaurant faces a driveway off of the street and you can easily drive right by it but be sure you don't as this place is amazing. I have eaten lunch there several times now and I can't stay away. I love that the menu changes depending on the produce they get at the local Farmer's Market. The salads and daily quiche are so good. Everything is fresh and homemade and it is evident by just how damn good the food is. Did I mention the bread and pastries? They bake all their bread daily and always have a case of goodies to tempt you. I have yet to try their breakfast but I am looking forward to it. They are only open for breakfast and lunch and it can get busy at times. A stellar addition to the Santa Ynez Valley!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Castro Valley, California
“What a Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

On our last trip to Solvang we had a very good dinner at Tattoria Grappolo (in Santa Inez). The bread served with our meal was amazing, and we were told it was from a new bakery in town named Baker's Table. In addition to having coffee and pastries one morning at the bakery we also tried the it for lunch. They offer a limited menu of the highest quality ingredients you will ever experience. Prices are moderate, and the service is very pleasant and efficient. For a quick bite to eat a person can't do better.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Santa Ynez, California
“BE THE FIRST TO DISCOVER A GREAT BAKERY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

In a town with endless numbers of Danish bakeries, why would another bakery be needed? Because this is a real bakery. Amy Dixon, the owner, prides herself on the delivery of great sourdoug pan au levain loaves every day along with great flavored loaves and unique breads. The location is almost impossible to find, but you will be glad you did (go to Santa Ynez and ask for directions!) The desserts are TO DIE FOR (I can't find another expression) because they are all made with the freshest ingredients. Often Amy and her baking staff take a look at what is locally grown or available at the Farmer's Market, and it serves them well. Croissants are made to perfection. The scones sell out regularly. The soups, salads, and sandwiches are fresh and delicious. There is very little seating, so go early or go after the lunch rush (going early offers better options). You'll pass this along to your friends which is the way this bakery has grown in such a short period of time.

Visited March 2013
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

It might take a map to find it tucked away in Santa Ynez - but you will never forget how to get there once you've found this gem. The coffee is great - pasties at devilishly good. I love the salads, breads and soups. You can't go wrong. This biggest issue is making a choice.

Visited March 2013