“Excellent Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hillside Inn

Hillside Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Rosa
Hillside Inn
You added Hillside Inn to your Saves list
2901 Fourth St., Santa Rosa, CA 95409   |
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
California
“Excellent Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I visit Santa Rosa a few times a year and always stay at Hillside Inn. For the price and location, it is a deal. The price is always the same and I know what to expect. Every time I stay here, the owner is very nice and accommodating. I've stayed at other places while visiting the area and will always come back to Hillside Inn.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We had 3 rooms over at the flamingo and moved over to the Hillside Inn because we found out they had kitchenettes and we could save $30 a night per room. The rooms are comfortable, clean and affordable. The owners and staff were nice enough. And Yes I did notice that “the maids leave the doors open to 'air' the rooms, and commonly leave them unattended”, I also noticed that no one is in them when they did that and they had already checked out. No frills, great value, great location.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
e. Lansing
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

The maids leave the doors open to 'air' the rooms, and commonly leave them unattended. My parents room was left open, with a laptop in easy reach, I closed the door, no harm, no big deal. A small gift WAS taken from my brother's room. When we reported it to the owner/manager, he was ZERO help. He was actually antagonistic! He demanded that we "Prove it!" I walked to an open, unattended room being 'aired', took out a telephone, set it on his desk. He became belligerant, aggressively arguing that it was NOT his problem, so we moved out.
His demeanor was a major, negative influence on our visit to California. Our friends in Santa Rosa say this is NOT an isolated incident, This is how he keeps YOUR problems from becoming HIS problems.

Room Tip: Stay at the Flamingo, or any number of nearby hotels.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I have to say that I have been to the Hillside several times and I have never had a disappointing stay. This hotel has ALWAYS been clean, friendly, affordable and quaint. The owner is such a nice guy and the staff was great ever time I have stayed. The rooms are very comfortable, very nice and gives you a warm home feeling. Next time I am in Santa Rosa, you know where I'll be!

Room Tip: The rooms with the kitchen are a must. They are the best.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Camarillo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I grew up in Santa Rosa but nearly twenty five years ago I moved away. I have had to stay at the horrible Hill Side because of it's close location to my Grandmother's house and Pacific Market. I have gone once or twice a year for at least 7 years. Ever since the first time I stayed there there has been a problem of one kind or the other. The ole man is the worst . The phone was busy for two hours in the room to get the front desk so finally I called through my cell phone long distance. He answered rudely as always I explained to him the phone had been busy for two hours. He came up straight away walked me to my room. I was in my Son and Daughter in Laws room and marched me to the phone and showed me rudely how I didn't operate the phone properly; In my Family it was sort of a joke Karma ish... I was the only smoker in the family and he had the only smoking rooms left in hotels small Family owned. So I deserved the hostility. But really the guy's a jerk. I was there this time with five rooms rented Family Wedding in Sebastapol. The next day we all got together to have breakfast and talk about the festivities the day before and my cousin had a mouse in her and her husbands bed. I set my bag down on one of the dressers and it left a huge smear on it. Dust. LOTS. The air conditioner has so much smoke in it you can't sleep. The blankets are skinny and smell of smoke badly. They insist on coming into the room daily so don't think you can be sick and left alone for a day and half ... Another time. My Daughter in law didn't sleep well the smoke in the sheets in her room. Her Husband smoked outside. All together we as a Family are done supporting his Family Business. It's a shame because of it's proximity to the people I love . But the next hotel will be polite and maybe even have HBO.

Room Tip: The Pink Flamingo is across the street.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Convenient location even if not the most upscale place in town. My room was clean and comfortable. Good maid service daily. The breakfast at their affiliated cafe is really great with an upscale menu. Or you can walk to the Lyons Restaurant next door if you want a Denny's type menu. I had good luck with the staff on the phone and in the office and found them to be courteous and helpful at all times. All in all a very reasonable price for a reasonable place to stay. There were 3 groups of us attending an Expo and all of our rooms were quite acceptable.

Room Tip: I was worried that the room near the cafe and street would be noisy but it wasn't.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Stayed there for only one night 7/22/2011. ROOM 217. The place looked very clean, HOWEVER a day after I came home my whole left side was covered by red, itchy bites, even my face had 4 bites!!! Discussing! When I called, the owner was very rude and said that he will investigate the matter and he hang-up the phone. When I called back he told me that it is my side of a story and he did not owe my anything, and hang-up the phone again!

Room Tip: do not stay there! bed bug bites are quite paintful!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hillside Inn? Share your experiences!