“Great Value. Great Big Room. Great Stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Los Angeles, California
“Great Value. Great Big Room. Great Stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

We came to Santa Rosa for a friend's wedding and chose this hotel because of its location near the venue and the price. It worked out perfectly! Our room was very large (with one king-sized bed), a generously-sized refrigerator, a coffee maker, lots of towels, etc. Very clean and well-appointed. I'm actually surprised by the other reviews. This is, after all, a Best Western, so going there we didn't expect to be staying at the Four Seasons. Overall, it has a very chain-like feel (like every other Best Western), maybe a little dated, but with a nice small-town, homey feel with landscaped grounds and a small pool. The pictures do make it seem quite a bit more glamorous than it really is, but it was still nice. The staff was very accommodating and friendly too. Returning from the wedding late at night we felt completely safe. We had some concern because outside our door we could hear a baby crying in the room next door, but once we were inside, we didn't hear a thing. Also, if you're ever in Santa Rosa, be sure to visit Chloe's French Cafe! It doesn't look like much from the outside, but a week later, we are still talking about the pastries and hot sandwiches. Seriously, don't miss it!

Room Tip: Parking lot is in the front and cars park near first-floor rooms; would recommend the back of proper...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012 via mobile

I can't review anything about the inside of the rooms because I pulled into the parking lot and right back out. I arrived at about 8:30 pm and tweakers and possible hookers littered the parking lot. I immediately did not feel safe staying there. There were also barbecue grills on some of the patios outside the rooms. This indicated to me, that people were also possibly living at this motel. Maybe some people would like the fact that it's on the main strip of downtown, and two doors down from a liquor store, but not me. I was shocked at what I saw there after reading the description on the website. I think it's false advertisement.

• Stayed February 2012
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

This is the first bad review of a hotel I've ever written, but we had SUCH a bad experience, I am writing to warn others not to waste their time. First, this is a drive-up motel-style hotel, which isn't exactly clear from their website. When we went to check into our room, the woman at the counter was rude to the person in front of us and acted like we were a nuisance as well. I wish I could remember her name, but our trip was several months ago. As soon as we walked out of the office, I spoke to my husband and told him I wanted to find somewhere else. However, it was late in the evening, we'd been traveling all day, so we decided to check out our room instead.

In our room, one wall was a sliding glass door leading out to the pool, so if we wanted any natural light in the room, we would have no privacy (there were many people at the pool). I went to turn on the light in our room, and the shade wasn't screwed on. Plus, the lightbulb was broken. I went to use the restroom, and the toilet seat was wet. I decided to call the office about the lightbulb in our room. Here's how the conversation went.

"Front desk." (spoken very harshly, as if I was a nuisance again.)
I'm used to people answering the phone with their name, so I said, "Who am I speaking with please?"
"The front desk." (again, very rudely spoken)
"And what is your name, please?"
By the time she told me her name, I'd had enough of this horrible hotel. I politely ended the call, grabbed my bags, and told my husband we were just going to have to find somewhere else. Even though it was 7 o'clock, there was no way I was going to support this hotel in any way with my money.

When we checked out of the room, after telling her all of the problems in the room and our dissatisfaction with the service, she had the nerve to tell us we might not get our money back. I would have been all to happy to speak to her manager if they had billed us (which they did not), but what kind of person would hire someone that rude to be the representative of their hotel?

We ended up staying at the Hilton Sonoma Hotel, which was absolute heaven! Yes, it was more expensive, but after this horrible experience, we were ready to be pampered.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
La Canada, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Because Alaska Airlines (Horizon Air) eliminated their direct flight from LAX to Eureka, California, we’ve gone back to driving and stopping on the way north in Santa Rosa. We’ve stayed at the Best Western Garden Inn many times with wonderful service, but this time…well…it got down to 27 degrees over night in late December and there were no extra blankets in the room. When we mentioned that to the desk clerk the next morning, her response was, “Why didn’t you turn on the heat?” I really didn’t want to reply because, unlike most other motels these days, they have not installed “Smart System” controls on their HVAC systems and their antiquated wall units are just plain LOUD! I would have preferred to hear, “I’m sorry that you were incovenienced. We’ll make sure that there are extra blankets available for our guests from now on.” In addition, while in the past we were happy to have a restaurant with a full menu onsite for breakfast, their competition now offers rather nice complimentary continental breakfasts. It’s not a huge deal, but we’ll be seriously considering other lodging on our next trip north.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Lynnwood, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

12/27/11 Visit

A very good sized room, with parking right in front of our room (all other rooms have this access as well I believe). I found the blankets/bed to be quite substantial (especially compared to the motel 6 we stayed at the previous night), a nice lcd screen tv w/ HBO, and close to many restaurants and grocery stores. They accept pets at a $15 charge and gave us a pretty good sized bone :) with our "dog-friendly room." Also appreciated that the room kept the sun light out in the morning. This isn't a luxurious property by any means, but it is a safe, comfortable, and quiet place to stay while needing a place to sleep for under $100.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Stayed the last weekend in October 2011 with friends who were participating in the Healdsburg Half Marathon. Room served it's purpose, clean, comfortable and much, much cheaper than staying in Sonoma or Healdsburg.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Belmont, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

We've stayed at this Best Western 5 times...twice over Christmas with other family members in nearby rooms. Staff members have always been helpful and courteous and our rooms large, clean, quiet and nicely appointed. Even my sister's pet friendly rooms were in good shape and fresh smelling and the pet rate was reasonable. The on-site restaurant is a plus for our family because we're all breakfast eaters. We're happy to pay a few dollars for freshly prepared sausage and eggs or a stack of hot cakes with good quality coffee and juice instead of feeling obligated to eat cold cereal and packaged pastries because they're "free." As others have noted, this is a nicely landscaped, established property that features comfort more than glitz. Compared to several other Santa Rosa properties, we think it's a find, which is why I'm on the site now to reserve for Christmas 2011.

Room Tip: We like the rooms at the back of the property because they've been quiet. Those by the pool are...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Garden Inn? Share your experiences!