“Ho Hum Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
San Diego, California, United States
“Ho Hum Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt Garden Inn two years earlier for the same bi-annual music festival so we decided to try the Courtyard just across the street next time we were here. As it turned out, the Garden Inn was still a better choice even though we stayed in one of their premium suites (1 of 4 suites in the hotel). The Courtyard rooms have dedicated heater/AC units with a wireless remote control on the wall. Apart from the wireless remote on the wall, these are the same units you'd find in a Motel 8 or other budget inn for under half the price. Our wireless control broke twice and the 2nd time we didn't bother to get it fixed it would only break down again. As such, the comfort and noise levels at night were very poor. Though built-in fridges / microwaves are noted, only some rooms have these. If you are lucky, you can ask room service to bring these into your room but of course these are out of place since these are not built-in.

The food service options are terrible, something I'm not used to. The little "bistro" on the ground floor is a joke with the (upscale) hot food options they serve during their limited hours or you can buy a number of frozen entrees (if you have a microwave!) or locally prepared fresh sandwiches for +$6-$8. You even have to buy your own microwave popcorn, no free snack even for the first night.

Room service was the primary positive. Whether trucking in the microwave or fridge or fixing the wireless AC control twice, all staff were wanting to please however they could.

In the end, we found that walking across the street to our music venue was a hazard and it would have been best if we stayed at the Garden Inn for the 3 days. Parts of the sidewalks were in disrepair and my wife tripped over a lifted corner of concrete from the sidewalk that should have been fixed or fenced off for safety.

Next time we up here, we'll look into one of the bed and breakfast inns.

Watch out parking in the shade and under some of the tallest trees (out in front). The leaves and sap dripping on your car below could be costly ...

Room Tip: Closest elevator access rooms have one wall that is not shared with the adjacent guest room so this...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ManagerMax, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Santa Rosa, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear William B,

Thank you for your stay and taking the time to share your experience. It is comments such as yours that help us to continually improve. I am sorry you did not find the hotel better suited. I can inform you that starting this winter, we will be renovating all the guest rooms, adding refrigerators to ALL the rooms, expanding our Bistro area and improving our outside area as well. I hope you will consider us again for the music event.

-Max

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel previously but not for several years. It has a great location in the heart of Santa Rosa with easy access to freeways and walking distance to some great local restaurants. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

My wife and I stayed here for three nights during Levis Gran Fondo. Storing and caring for our bikes was not a problem. The staff seemed to get a kick out of all the people in lycra traipsing around the hotel. They opened their bistro early for the riders Saturday morning and provided complimentary coffee and bagels.

The food is good. The rooms quiet, comfortable and clean.

I will definitely stay here for the next Fondo.

Room Tip: The elevators are slow so choose a lower floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ManagerMax, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Santa Rosa, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Ian B,

Thank you for choosing our hotel again and for the fabulous review. It is reassuring to know the measures we took for your group were well received and we look forward to your return.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This part of the world is the nicest.... Nice in the nicest sense of the word.... I want to live here. It'd be safe and lovely.... And nice.... The hotel is pretty ordinary from an architectural point of view, it's like something from the lego school of design. Inside the staff are a delight, there is a pleasant atmosphere and the rooms are perfectly spacious. The breakfast isn't the best system. But they do have a lot of respect here for systems. Generally speaking, that's what happens when people are nice, they tend to avoid a challenge when if comes to changing a system. Change the bloody breakfast system. Stop the ticket thing. And why the plastic cutler? Why? We're not in KFC?! Please change those two things. The location is fabulous. A short walk from the main downtown area with great bars - not nice but great - and restaurants shops etc. GREAT SHOPS. Nick nack stuff of old rustic America. Great for gifts. I would never had visited Santa Rosa if it wasn't for work. But now I want to come back for a holiday. And I will happily stay in this hotel. It's nice.

Room Tip: Look out for the peculiar tribute to french fries on the shelf behind reception. See photo.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ManagerMax, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Santa Rosa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Major_Rawls,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. I am grateful for your interesting observations and comments. We do live and work in a great place and I am fortunate to have such a wonderful staff. We love our culture and Courtyard provides such great systems for us to follow. You will be happy to know we do typically provide silverware with our meals and the plastic utensils are for the to-go items. I am not sure what is meant about the ticketing system or how that might be changed and again we value your feedback. I hope you are able to someday move to this area. In the mean time, we look forward to your stays with us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

With its location 10 min walking distance from 4th street, downtown Santa Rosa, this is a great hotel location and I will definitely come back. Rooms are quiet and clean like they should. Good place to stay

• Stayed September 2013
ManagerMax, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Santa Rosa, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Banbooly,

I am very glad to hear our location suited your needs and you liked our hotel. That is high praise coming from someone of your stature. We look forward to your return and contact me any time I may be of service.

Best regards,
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I was a recent guest at the Courtyard by Marriott Santa Rosa. Although the location of the hotel was perfect for me, the bathroom was certainly not. There was one grab bar at the foot of the bathtub that was useless and unsafe. A vertical grab bar (18-24 inch) at the front edge of the shower/bathtub wall and/or a horizontal grab bar (18-24 inch) across the back wall of the shower/tub would provide safety to anyone needing assistance getting in or out of the shower/tub. Next time I will request a handicapped room (even though I'm not), but I think that these grab bars would benefit non-handicapped people also.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
ManagerMax, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Santa Rosa, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Mary M,

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to let people know about the concern. We will undergo a renovation in our guest rooms this fall, which includes the tub/shower enclosures so I will do my best to ensure your concern is addressed in the new design. I'm glad to hear you will consider us again for next time.

Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

An adequate hotel with friendly staff. Rooms are fairly standard for a mid-priced hotel chain. A sort of counter for serving basic breakfast, but no real restaurant to speak of. There are restaurants in the area within walking distance, including that at the Hyatt, which is across the street.

Not a bad option for Santa Rosa,but the Hyatt is better, but also more expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your fair review. Our aim is to be above standard and impress our guests. Your stay was adequate and not great so we missed our mark with you. I am grateful you will consider us again. I look forward to showing you our new rooms come Spring and our outstanding guest service.

Huntsville, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I spent 5 nights at the Courtyard by Marriott in Santa Rosa while I was in town for business. In some respects it seems to be away for it all but it was still close to the courthouse square and the old railroad station.

When I walked in, I notice that the cooperate direction looks like “hip modern” at least in the lobby area. Big screen touch TV, not a coffee shop or a restaurant but a Bistro and three lecterns were you check in at. (You will have to excuse me here, and this might be old news, but I have not stayed in many Courtyards’ in the last few years.)

Now for the important stuff, the room was clean. The sink for the bathroom was outside in the room. There was a small refrigerator hiding in the dresser/desk (it was all one unit). Flat screen LG television (with “56 channels and nothings on” cable, a Marriott or their website said they had pay-per-view movies but no, just cable). The beds seemed a bit soft to me but I was able to sleep and there was a nice touch with electric outlets on the wall near the bed so I could charge my phone and not have to walk across the room when it rang early in the mornings. Another nice touch was a rolling table which was the right height to work from with the desk chair that was in the room. I have one minor gripe about the room, WI-FI only. It was strong but I prefer a hard wire connection for my computer.

Small minus at least for me, I need a little something in the morning and I have gotten used to having some sort of breakfast offered free in the morning, even if it is bread for toast and coffee. Well here, you have to buy breakfast at the Bistro. That would be OK except the Bistro seemed not to be up and going at 6 AM in the morning (I had to report on site where I was working by 7). I did find the free coffee that have in the morning (looking at the elevators, there is a hall to your left, turn down that hall and in a small indentation in the wall where payphones might have been at one time, was two coffee carafes and cups).

Would I stay here again when in the area? Most likely yes since it seemed to be a good deal for the location I was in.

Room Tip: Across the Street there is a Chevy's Grill or a place called the Vinyard in the Hyatt which I wa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear GoodDoctor,

Thank you for staying with us and the good check up you gave us. I am glad you found our lobby "hip modern." I know you will love our new look in the rooms come Spring. I appreciate you letting us know about the pay-per-view still showing on the website so I may have that updated. We look forward to your return.

-Max

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Santa Rosa? Share your experiences!