“A lovely time in Santa Rosa” 5 of 5 stars

Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2777 Fourth St., Santa Rosa, CA 95409   |
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Highland Park, Illinois
“A lovely time in Santa Rosa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

It's funny, what others here call "outdated", I call charmingly retro. I love how the Flamingo has maintained a 50s-60s ambience while maintaining their standards as well. We were there for the McDougall program which included meals so I can't comment on their lovely restaurant. The patrons seemed quite happy. The pool is lovely and the spa next door was beautiful. Our first floor room at the front of the hotel was very large, spotless and nicely furnished. The bed was comfy and we slept like babies. The staff was friendly and responsive, We couldn't have been happier. And the location......perfect.

Now, this place isn't luxurious and it won't be everybody's cup of tea, but we had no complaints and will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This historical hotel provided me with respite from the crowds during marathon weekend in Santa Rosa. Unlike a previous reviewer I encountered a clean, odor free room, non carpeted and dog friendly on the ground floor with easy access to the outside. We visited the pool area, very relaxed atmosphere with a nice pool, cocktails and food can be served there, though dogs can't so I have to try the pool out next time I travel without my canine companion. Found the staff friendly and efficient. Definitely a place I will return for a weekend relaxer. a plus for me, a nice Safeway and Starbucks right down the street, you can walk for coffee in the morning

Room Tip: The rooms that face the pool area have patios and are worth checking out for next stay
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I had heard some not so nice reviews on this resort hotel, however I always judge a place on MY experience...not on others', so we booked a 4-night mid-week stay 8/25-8/29 in an Executive King. It was wonderful! The bed was so comfortable, the room and bathroom were immaculate...thank you "Espi"! The pool was to die for-I loved doing my laps every morning. The only drawback was the water aerobics classes that interrupted my lap swimming. I don't know why they couldn't have used the Spa pool for that???

That was the only drawback. The food was delicious and the drinks (Raspberry 75) were amazing!!
Thank you do much for an enjoyable stay...and for allowing us to extend our stay an additional night at the same wonderful mid-week rate!!
Will definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed August 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our room was adequate but had an odor that was tough to tolerate. Very much in need of modernization. Restaurant and pool were very nice. Probably would look for somewhere else next time. Convenient to both Napa and Sonoma valleys.

• Stayed May 2013
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just spent Labor Day weekend here with our two young daughters and we all loved it! I thought the rooms were very clean, the beds were comfortable, even the sofa bed was surprisingly comfortable. The pool area was perfect for us. There were lots of families with kids which was great for us. Plenty of lounge chairs, tables and umbrellas. We loved the shady areas under the redwood trees. Our kids searched for snails, ran around in the grassy area, swam in the pool and warmed up in the hot tub. Staff was extremely friendly and courteous. We can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chorley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Well where do you start with this little gem (not).

If you like dogs, well at the least the smell of them this is probably just what you are looking for. We arrived late at night and just wanted to get some sleep. We checked in at reception and all seemed fine and got the keys to the room. We opened the door and was greeted by the stench of 'doggy odour' (and more faeces than 'wet dog'). Don't get me wrong as a former dog owner I'm not apposed to dogs, BUT come on keep the rooms clean. We were all too tied to go back down to reception and agreed to bed down for the night and speak to the staff in the morning. We went down to reception (even the corridors smelt) and after a lot of arguing and denial on their part we where relocated.

The pool especially at weekends when everyone from town seems to arrive to not very clean. I know accidents happen but one corner of the pool had a film of what appeared to be vomit 'bobbing around' on the surface.

Breakfasts... we visited the restaurant and I opted for the full breakfast from the menu, it arrived and all looked fine apart from... no beef patty. No problem, I asked the waitress and she took my plate and returned with my breakfast and a large quarter pound type burger. Great I though until I tried to cut into it and covered my breakfast with blood. The thing was barely cooked and my breakfast looked like a scene from Jaws. Knife and fork down, end of that. Thanks.

Day trips. The next leg of our vacation was to travel down to San Francisco and got talking to the reception staff about 'Alcatraz' trips and the fact that they were all booked out for weeks. DON'T worry they said we know someone who works there. Great we thought, they took our details and managed to get us on a trip, well at least we thought. 'Trusting' them we didn't take much notice of the tickets/printout until we arrived in San Fran and checked the dates. The moron on reception had booked us on a trip in three weeks time (we would be home by then!). I called the hotel and left messages, we even emailed them, but no response. The VERY nice people at Pier 33 returned our money with the exception of the the booking fee taken by the 'flamingo (they also confirm that didn't know anyone from the hotel). Don't trust these people, but if you have to double check everything!

So if you like the smell of dirty dog, fancy a splash about in vomit, enjoy a breakfast that looks like a murder scene or want to pay a booking fee for something you never get to do, then this is place for you.

My Garmin GPS wanted to take us down the road about half a mile to another hotel. Maybe I should have listened to it (sorry GPS for not trusting your judgement).

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FlamingoManager, Front Office Manager at Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear John S.,
Thank you for staying at the Flamingo Resort and we appreciate your comments in regards to your stay here. We were all very surprised and disappointed regarding your room and the smell that you encountered. Please be assured that we will inspect and dry clean all soft goods in any room that has any evidence of odor in our pet friendly rooms. Our rooms on the floor that you occupied have new hardwood floors and are inspected before our guest’s arrival. Again, thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. We do have the largest swimming pool of any resort in the area and we are very busy with guests visiting from all over the World. We have pool attendants that hand out towels, keep the pool area clean and have a watchful eye on any unsanitary condition and are trained to respond immediately for any accident. We are surprised that no one reported an accident in the pool while you were here. We are also very concerned and saddened about were not able to participate in the Alcatraz trip and our front desk’s attempt to get you a reservation while the trip was at capacity. It is our policy and was our procedure to have you use our computer to book your Alcatraz trip at the front desk and I do recall you making the arrangements yourself. We would like to know that name of the booking agent used, and we will make a point to not use that service again. We do not receive any commission from any booking agents and please be assured that we were trying to make your California trip enjoyable.
Wilmington, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have great family reunions every few years and typically travel around the states but this year was special in that we wanted to stay close to the Santa Rosa area because one of our nephew's wife was expecting at anytime and we wanted to make sure they would be included in the reunion. The family picked out the Flamingo Resort in Santa Rosa for a number of reasons and we were not disappointed. Great layout with a huge pool situated right in the middle of the location with different buildings fanning out from the center. We would congregate at the pool or at one of the rooms that was situated around the pool every day/night. Rooms were very nice, clean and served their purpose (sleep!). Played tennis at the club adjacent to the hotel and there were plenty of things to do in and around Santa Rosa. My wife and daughter also enjoyed the amenities of the spa. Would definitely stay here again. Great for families.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!