“Come for the pool, but that's about it.” 3 of 5 stars

Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2777 Fourth St., Santa Rosa, CA 95409   |
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Come for the pool, but that's about it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We were up in Sonoma for a wedding and booked at the Flamingo using credit card rewards. The pictures online seemed nice enough so we decided it was worth a try since worst case it was only for a night. I'm pretty glad it was just one night.

The room was clean, but clearly old. About 60% of the room and amenities have been upgraded, but that remaining chunk is pretty glaring. The bathroom is old and dated. The shower head on the shower is the bare bones spout I would expect to see in a prison. They give you shampoo and conditioner, but no shower gel. The bed has some creaky springs, and is far from the lush comfortable bed you'd want at a place with "resort" in the name. I usually don't iron in my hotel room, but since this was for a wedding I did pull out the iron and board. The iron was broken, but usable. Somehow by that point I wasn't really surprised. They also don't provide free in-room internet, but it is available for a relatively affordable ~$7/day. We got a free continental breakfast with our stay, and I was again underwhelmed. I assumed that in a place with a full kitchen (they have a restaurant where you can also purchase typical breakfast fare) the continental breakfast would have a few prepared items or hot items. Nope. Cereal, fruit, yogurt, cheap bagels, and hard boiled eggs in a bowl of water. Definitely worse than any Hampton Inn I've stayed at.

Aside from the in-room internet charge, it feels like that do a bit of nickle and diming. They have a fully equipped fitness center, but that will run you $12/day. Want to print your boarding pass in the lobby? The computer costs $0.50/min to use. Seriously? You won't even offer free internet on the lobby computer?

At least they have ample free parking.

On the plus side the pool is beautiful and there is a ton of comfortable lounging to be had. They have servers that will come to your chair and bring food and drinks.

The only REAL selling point I can see after our stay is that it's on the cheaper side in the expensive Sonoma area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love staying here for the fabulous pool surrounded by plenty of lounge chairs. This is a beautiful property with lots of history. Rooms are spacious and comfortable with modern amenities. The heart of the hotel is it's Olympic pool. There is food and beverage service at the pool and in the nearby restaurant. On Friday nights you can enjoy complimentary wine and later dance the night away in the lounge.

Room Tip: Loved the garden suite room overlooking pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Moraga CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was the only place we could find that would take us for just one night and it was reasonably priced ($230.) It's right next to a little strip mall, half a block off the main road. Lots of free parking.

Check in was friendly and quick. The lobby is nothing to take a second look at. If I owned the place I would spend some time and money on the lobby. When you drive up the cool revolving sign and appearance of the buildings give a good retro vibe. The lobby doesn't give that feel or continue the experience at all. It was so blah the only thing I remember out it was the amazon.com box on the counter.

Drove over to Building 2 and parked in front of the stairs to our second floor room. The room was clean two double beds, white duvets, flat screen TV, armoire, table and two chairs, a mini fridge and coffee maker and one really big stain on the carpet just inside the door. The room looked out over the parking lot-we didn't spring for the pool view. . so that was to be expected.
The room was just "fine" I wouldn't rave nor complain about it. It was a room, comfortable and clean and everything we needed. Like the lobby, nothing to WOW you.

We changed and went down to the pool-that will WOW you. The pool is large and deep-beautiful blue, the surrounding grounds and buildings are really nice. We could hardly believe we were a few hundred yards from a strip mall, We had a drink from the pool side service. Unfortunately the drinks were not that great (really really weak) but the server was friendly and nice. Later we had dinner in the restaurant. . the food was good. Again, really nice service from the waitress and the bartender. Then we went next door into the club. They charge a ten dollar cover charge even to hotel guests. It was worth it -the R&B Band was great and we had a fantastic time dancing until 1:15. Once again, the service in the bar was quick and friendly even though the place was packed.

We had a good time here. . it was nice to be able to drink and dance right where we were staying (no driving, no cab fare). If I were to come up here again, I would probably check around and see whatever hotels were available-not because the Flamingo was bad or anything, more just to see what else is out there. But if this was the only place that would take us for one night, I would not be disappointed to stay here again. Has a lot going for it. . .really wonderful employees, good location, good price and awesome pool.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've stayed here many times and always enjoy the atmosphere, the pool and spa, and the hospitality of the hotel staff. Marie at the front desk is particularly helpful. The rooms are well appointed, of a good size, and quiet. The hotel is comprised of a large central courtyard with an Olympic sized pool, separate hot tub gazebo, and plenty of loungers and umbrellas for relaxing. Most of the rooms are arranged in blocks that radiate out from the courtyard like spokes, though some rooms in the 500 series (business class) are newer, and have lovely pool views and small balconies.

I have not eaten dinner here, but the free breakfast is a choice of fresh fruit (melon, pineapple, etc.), yogurt, cereals, toast, and, or oatmeal. Service is good, and the wait staff friendly. If you like to bring your own food or need a few oddments, there are a Safeway, Wells Fargo Bank, and Pharmacy across the street. I think all rooms have a refrigerator.

Would I stay again, yes. Will I recommend it? Certainly!

Room Tip: Rooms toward the ends of the "spokes" tend to be slightly quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Hotel is situated in a lovely nook in Santa Rosa, away from the hustle and bustle, but close enough to all the interests. The pool is magnificent, very well maintained and freshly painted deck, great lounge chairs, and you can drink your cocktails pool side ;). The rooms and walkways surround the pool and enclose it from the public, very beautifully done. The rooms are great, the beds are super comfortable and I always get a great night sleep on them, they have six pillow of various shapes, padding, etc.. to choose from on each bed, I always fine one I like. The only, I say only, critique to most of the rooms, is the bathrooms need a bit of modernizing. There are some bathrooms that have been upgraded and these rooms are just lovely.

The best part of the hotel, however, is not the beds or the pools. No, the best part is the customer service I receive when I walk through the doors. I have always been greeted with a smile and enthusiasm. I can tell they are always asking themselves, how can we go out of our way to show our guests a good time and be as accommodating as possible. To name a few, Marie, Cierra, Ashley, James, I cant remember the rest of their names, but the list goes on and on. Great job everyone!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
FlamingoManager, Front Office Manager at Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and we are grateful for you being here at the Flamingo Hotel. We are proud of the fact that we have poolside service that allows our guests to relax and enjoy the pool while enjoying lunch and beverages from the comfort of their lounge chairs. We are also proud of our front desk team and the fact that they make each and every guest feel welcomed with enthusiasm. Let me know when you plan to return and we would like to make special arrangments complimentary of the front desk staff to make your next stay even more memorable.
Anderson Island, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The hotel was very pleasant and the room clean and comfortable. The room stocked all the amenities including Kona Coffee Blend for your in- room coffee machine! I liked the on site restaurant! It offered a regular menu as well as a diabetic and vegetarian/vegan menu! The bed was very nice...we slept very well! I will stop here again on my next visit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Monroe, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

No complaints at all - quiet, spacious, tidy room. Good breakfast options in the dining room. Had to pay for wifi but it worked fine. Staff was excellent, friendly & helpful. Location very good - near the university where my business was. Not an exciting location, and the room looked out on the parking lot but it was quiet. The building itself is a bit retro, but I can certainly recommend the place and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!