“Good value, retro fun” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 26 hotels in Santa Rosa
Garbervil
“Good value, retro fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here because we got a discount connected with a conference. It was absolutely adequate, clean, everything worked. Since it is "really" back in the fifties (not faked up) you need to have a little sense of humor about retro. The room was claustrophobic,tiny, dark, but the beds were up to date. We spent all our down time outside lolling in the sun beside the pool or at the terrace restaurant, which were just as relaxing and pretty as fancier places. The food was "just fine" and I'm a food snob. The wine deal "buy two glasses and keep the bottle" for a higher end winery was a steal.The staff was low key, pleasant and attentive. The spa facilities were also clean and adequate, though the lower "trim level" was a little jarring at first. The whole routine cost about a third less than the last "girlfriends spa retreat" we went on, so if it's sunny and discounted we'll do it again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

407 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel was TERRIBLE! The first things I noticed were the hallways and areas surrounding the rooms were filthy. The carpets desperately needed to be replaced. It looked like everything had been decorated in the 1970s and no one had bothered upgrading or cleaning anything since then.

Upon arrival we asked the front desk for a Pack n Play for our 1 year old (the Hilton Garden Inn we had stayed at the two previous nights had offered an excellen PnP for no extra charge). I had to call the front desk and ask them for the PnP AGAIN because it never came. When we finally got the knock at the door, I opened up and saw what looked like a baby crib from a 1950's insane asylum. Metal bars, rusted with a board supporting the poor excuse for a mattress. It also had a pillow in it... a pillow. There is NO WAY this would ever pass safety standards.

The amenities in the room were dismal... at the Hilton (which cost us HALF the price) we had a new mini fridge, a nice microwave and new coffee maker. We also had free breakfast and free wifi. At the Flamingo we had a fridge that looked like it came out of some guys dorm room.. old and beat up.. no microwave.. no free breakfast and we would have had to pay by the hour for wifi!

We called the front desk to see about getting some hot water to heat up one of my son's meals.. the water never came.

The water pressure in the shower was pretty bad... The sheets reeked of bleach...The whole experience was awful.

We ordered pool side service.. a couple drinks and an appetizer of local cured meats and cheese. When the food came out, I was expecting a nice presentation since we dropped $12 on the meat and cheese tray and almost $8 a drink. They brought it out in a to go box.. I opened it up and the food was just thrown in there.

It looked like someone had put everything in the box and then just shook it up. The drinks were fine, but that whole snack was not worth the $50 is cost me.

The one positive I have is the pool was nice.

This is literally the worst stay I have ever had at any hotel and I booked this place because its supposed to be a nice resort. I would NEVER stay here again, and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Do not stay here...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
FlamingoResortSpa, General Manager at Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
We apologize for the difficulties you experienced and have ordered new cribs and have advised our Restaurant Manager to provide a better preserntation for pool side service items. New carpeting will be installed this winter and mini refrigerators are being inspected.
We hope you allow us to host you on your next visit to better represent our offerings and follow up items you highlighted.
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Flamingo is Retro Cool! My husband and I stayed at the Flamingo for our wedding night. The front desk staff didn't hesitate to upgrade our room choice to a Suite when they saw us dressed in our wedding day fits. Our room was spacious, clean and quietly placed on the furthest end of the hotel to shield us from the festivities going on in the bar. :) Highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I had to stay here for a recent conference, and it was entirely adequate. I have nothing bad to say about the place, but don't go in expecting much and you won't be disappointed. The pool area was lovely, they have a nice little area for dogs and provide bags, and it was all fine. The staff is unpolished, and do an okay job. I found them to be a little flustered, and not operating at a high caliber as far as hospitality industry standards are concerned. An adequate place to stay if you need a local place in Santa Rosa. I did appreciate being able to park right outside my room.

• Stayed September 2012
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The hotel is a little weird. Pretty sure it used to be an apartment building. The workout facilities are nice, so is the pool. We got this hotel through Priceline. I've also seen it on groupon. So don't pay full price. Overall however it was close to wineries which is why we were there so it fulfilled it's purpose.

• Stayed March 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I had high expectations after reading a few reviews on TA. I flew from Florida to California to go to wine country for some R and R. The Flamingo is the first place my friend and I stayed. The stay started out good, but turned into a nightmare! The check in clerk was great and gave many suggestions of things to do in the area. After a very long day of travel, we went to our room and fell right asleep. I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that there were crumbs in the bed. Since we had not eaten anything, it made me wonder if the sheets had been changed from the night before. When I went into the bathroom, I noticed there was a piece of glass on the floor behind the door. It was all rather strange, but I was too tired to make a fuss. The next morning, we called the front desk to let them know we were leaving and we went into wine country. While on a tour I received a call from Tony from the Flamingo Hotel. I returned his call thinking that maybe I left something in the room. When I called, Tony accused me of ripping the TV in my room out of the wall. I let him know that I surely did not take the TV and that maybe he should check his surveillance cameras for clues as to who may have taken it. When I got back to Florida, I noticed that (without even telling me) the hotel had charged my VISA $250. When I called to speak with the manager, she said that I was the only one who had a key and that I was charged for the TV. I was thinking, "What about the hotel staff?" I told her that I thought it was awful that I was being accused of something I did not do, and that it was clearly a violation for the hotel to charge my credit card without notifying me. She said that she would check into it and get back to me. When she did not return my call for two days, I disputed the charges with my credit card company. The manager did finally call to say that she would refund the charges. Clearly, this hotel has some unethical practices. If you chose to stay at the Flamingo, make sure to check your credit card statements for unknown charges. Also, before you go to sleep, check that the room is clean so that you do not wake up to crumbs in your bed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
FlamingoResortSpa, Manager at Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
We apologize for the unfortunate circumstances with the TV theft. our initial electronic key results showed no access except by room guest during the time of theft but during our investigation we uncovered proof it was not your fault and refunded the amount .
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Accommodation and conference rooms set around huge garden pool area. Well appointed and quick access to Health & Fitness Club which has its own lap pool if you are into more than enjoying the sun and aquarobics in the hotel pool. We had a wonderful 10 days and met many great Americans. Would love to bring the grandchildren to enjoy sometime. Proximity to the Napa Valley also a bonus. Ask for Dr McDougall food if you prefer a plant based meal.

Room Tip: There are just 2 floors, we were on the upper floor in the Courtyard block and overlooked the Tennis...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your compliments and glad you enjoyed Dr. McDougall 10 day Immersion program which we host 5 times throughout the year and we have implemented some of hois recipes into our regular dining menus. We were bestowed the honor as "Best place to bring Families in Wine Country" by SF Chroncile last year so do return with grandkids.and enjoy the Pools, tennis, Snoopy statues, Child care services at Health Club. We are only a 30 minute drive to Napa via Calistoga Dr.

Been to Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!