“One of my new favorite hotels.” 5 of 5 stars

Fountaingrove Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Fountaingrove Pkwy., Santa Rosa, CA 95403   |
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Modesto, California
“One of my new favorite hotels.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We "won" this hotel on a Priceline bid for $75. We stayed two nights in room 102, which is on the ground floor of the main building. We did not get told of a free breakfast, nor did we ask. We were here on a beer drinking weekend at Russian River Brewing and knew we would never, ever make it down to a breakfast before 11am.

I love the look of this place. It is really beautiful, designed in what I think of as Prairie School style, though I'm not an architect and might be wrong. Lots of wood and stone and strong horizontal lines. The lobby has rough-hewn stone walls, lots of natural light coming from above, and a water feature. You feel like you are outside. Seriously, someone took a lot of care designing it because.even walking down the hallways was visually pleasing. It is NOT located in a scenic area, but in a typical "hotel row" right off the freeway. However, they have built a fence around the perimeter of the building to help with noise reduction. Ivy is growing over it and they planted ferns and birch trees inside of it, so you actually have a rather pastoral view and sense of privacy. Our room had a enormous picture window, so it was wonderful to actually have a pretty picture!

Our King room was very spacious. I had work to do, so it was nice to have both a desk and a chaise lounge on which to take advantage of the free wifi. The bathroom was huge, with plenty of counter space over which to strew my mountain of cosmetics and face care products. Two of us could function perfectly well together in that bathroom, a rarity in most hotels. A tiny fridge in the closet was nice for leftovers.The King size bed was comfortable with soft sheets and mounds of down pillows. Keurig coffee maker with (gasp) real half in half in the fridge. This alone made me a devoted fan. Seriously loath the powdered crap (which was also available).

We tend to stick to ourselves, but the woman who checked us in was nice. Seemed to be happy that we were SO into the decor. Also, the housekeeper happily gave me extra Keurig coffee packets when I asked.

The only bad thing about this hotel is now I won't want to Priceline in Santa Rosa anymore....I'm just going to want to stay here. We come here a few times a year, and I'm looking forward to returning to the Fountain Grove Inn.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms in the main have sweet little "walled garden" views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Since I will no longer stay at the Flamingo, I did the roll-of-the-dice deal on Hotwire where you can book a 4-star hotel at a great price but don't know which one it is until you pay. That's how I ended up at Fountaingrove for two nights this January. It was very clean in all regards and the coffee machine brews those little premeasured cups. They had real creamer in the fridge and not that powdery junk. The beds were very comfortable but there is a lot of road noise that comes through the windows, even though I was staying in the back. This part of town has sirens that blare quite often too. The drapes didn't quite shut tight and I like it dark when I sleep, so I had to push them behind the lamp to block more light out. There is a little fridge in the room but no microwave. They did not include breakfast with my low rate, but I did hear them offer vouchers to another guest. Be sure and ask for the breakfast vouchers if you stay here. The 2nd floor back door to the parking area was also not a secure door so anyone can come and go through it. I would stay here again as I don't mind sleeping with earplugs.

Room Tip: Get as far away from the road as you can, ask for breakfast vouchers, and inquire ahead of time if y...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Checkin went very smoothly as was our entire stay. We had a room on the second floor in the rear of the Inn. The furnishing were nice and the room clean. We did not eat or visit the bar, so I cannot comment. I would definitely stay here again.

Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was a TravelZoo experience for us and we enjoyed our stay very much. What we liked about it was the spacious room (Jr. Suite), the quiet and the good quality. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the restaurant had a great breakfast buffet that was included. We didn't have any other meals there. Our rating could have very well been a three also for the reasons that there wasn't anything that distinguished this above other good quality establishments and the location wasn't particularly special. Probably this was a 3 1/2. We would go back again on the same TravelZoo deal but probably not at full price.

Room Tip: We were in building 2 facing northwest. The hallways were very cold - probably conserving electrici...
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I purchased a Travelzoo deal for this hotel. For the price, the hotel was really nice. The staff was very friendly, room was clean and spacious (small sitting room with TV separate from the bedroom with another TV), and the breakfast was hearty (buffet including eggs, bacon, sausage, potato, french toast, fruit, oatmeal and pastries). There was free parking, as well as internet (although we didn't use it), and a pool and gym (that we didn't use, either). The room had a small fridge, coffee maker and hair dryer. Cons: dim lighting in room, cold hallways, poor quality TV. We had dinner at Equus (we tried their BBQ, which was good, but not great). If you're looking for a quaint hotel in wine country, then this isn't it, but it's a decent, clean, affordable hotel with typical amenities,

Long Island NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

great spot to relax while on business. even a great spot when you want to go into the wine country. spa decored lobbey, soft and comfortable rooms, oh by the way best sleep in many nites, matress the best.
food in an atmosphere that is quiet and the food at Equas is dynamite. cooked to order. osobucco was succulent and more than enough.
can not wait until the next visit to my account in the Santa Rosa territory. Thanks Fountaingrove Inn, great job.

Room Tip: rooms are great soft and the mattress is the best, what a real sleep long time over due.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was THE high-end place to be in the mid-Eighties in Santa Rosa and a lot of its charm remains, except for large sections of former lawns eaten away by road expansion. The waterfall and stone floors in the lobby, and the overall Frank Lloyd Wright-esque feel to the exterior and decor are rather comfortable to the eye. The room we enjoyed (Junior Suite) was nicely furnished, very clean, the beds were quite comfortable, and the in-room amenities pleasing. The Equus Restaurant's food was very good (you should try the calamari!!) and its morning breakfast buffet (although quite limited) started each of our two days in Santa Rosa off just right.

As others have mentioned, the hotel essentially overlooks Highway 101, so traffic noise can be a problem. Therefore, if you enjoy quiet as we do, would recommend a hillside-facing room if you are staying in the main building and an even-numbered room in the adjoining (north) building. Our initially assigned room was an odd-numbered room in the adjoining building. We moved to an even-numbered room immediately. Front desk was more than pleased to meet our needs. Also, in the adjoining building, there is no elevator; you access the rooms by ramp or stairs on either end of the building.

Speaking of noise, Equus is all hardwood flooring so even walking creates a cacophany. However, the food and good service are worth a little distraction.

All in all, we would stay again if Travelzoo runs the $99 offer again which includes a $25 per day restaurant credit and buffet breakfast for two. Otherwise, we are not into $225/night accommodations.

Room Tip: Get rooms that face away from freeway.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Fountaingrove Inn? Share your experiences!