“Nice Hotel. Good Wine Country Base” 4 of 5 stars

VIP WINE PACKAGE
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
GreenLeadersGold level
San Jose, California
“Nice Hotel. Good Wine Country Base”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

We are hhonors members and paid a one night visit to the hotel on New Years' Eve weekend. The hotel was not crowded and we were upgraded to an executive room. The room was big and ok. No problems with noise. Parking is ample. The hhonors breakfast was excellent as was the service. There was a $6 surcharge given it was their "Sunday Brunch." We were also given a split of wine as a hhonors member. This hotel is in Santa Rosa on top of a hill. While not directly in the Sonoma Wine Country, it is a couple of blocks a way from Highway 101 and about 10-15 minutes south of Windsor and Healdsburg. Given the hotel prices in Healdsburg are higher, we chose this hotel and were pleased with the stay.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Korean first
northeast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2007

Stayed here 4 nights. This place is not nearby Sonoma/Napa wine area (unless a 45 minute drive is nearby to you). True there are some wineries on the way, but the cute little towns and restaurants are at least 45 mins away.
Its about 45 mins to the ocean and right next to the freeway so if you are going to do some exploring this is an ok spot.
We stayed in the Executive Suite and it was basically just a nice hotel room. No fancy bathroom, only one medium-sized TV, and its really a one-room "suite".
The price is right and if thats what you are basing your decision on then its a pretty good choice. But if you are looking for a relaxing resort style room in wine country, keep looking. If you are looking for a decent hotel room in Santa Rosa, this is your place.
Service was great and check-in/out was one of the quickest/easiest we have ever experienced.

• Liked — price/service
  • Disliked — location/amenities
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2007

We didn't experience any of the noise levels from other reviewers for our Friday night stay, even though we were told that the hotel was fully booked. Good security measures the weekend before Halloween. Spacious hotel, newly renovated. We only heard a little of the freeway noise. All (corner room, valley view, however facing the freeway) but one (top floor) of our request were granted, got a great deal through Priceline. A great stay overall. OK distance to wineries.

• Liked — spacious, clean and quiet
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cali
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

My husband and I went for two nights, for our anniversary. We arrived to along line, but pleasantly found the quick check in to be simple. We forgot that we booked a bounce back weekend rate which included Breakfast each morning, and did not get the certificates for this when checking in by quick check. So, we did have to go back and wait in line for those. I called ahead that morning to make sure we got a top floor room, as I had read lots of comments on the noise. Oh MY, am I glad I got a 3rd floor room. I could here my neighbor talking on her cell phone, drying her hair and then the next rooms toilet flushing like it was is my room. The first night was o.k. noise wise, but we had heard when our neighbors came home at 2:30 and talking so loud regarding their plans for the next day's golf and girls day spa it was hard to get back to sleep. The breakfast the first day was soooo disgusting. Very over cooked grey looking eggs, in warmer, and bacon so greasy it was dripping, the rest of the warmer foods looked so unappetizing, I just passed. They had fresh fruit, but not good flavor, I think the quality was just not up to par . I settled on a hard bagel that I was going to toast anyway, but it was not easy to eat as it was hard. They have cereals, and yogart. I would eat instead. The second night we were tired from lots of wine tasting, and interupted sleep. So, we passed out about midnight to be woke up by very drunk persons banging on doors across from ours, and talking so loudly we waited about 15-20 minutes and it didn't get any better. Then we heard crashing noises, from what we found to be the valet cart out our door. We were so disgusted by these persons behavior my husband finally called the front desk, an about 2:15 we heard a very rude person cussing at someone then a slammed door. Well, next morning at 6:00 when our next door neighbor started the shower we got up and got ready to leave.... We departed our rooms to a bag of broken torilla chips out on the floor and beer bottles out in the hall and lobby area. Overall the room was O.K. but, I don't go away t be woke up every night I'm gone. I also forgot tho say the breakfast was so, bad that we asked for the 2nd days breakfast be credited ($43.00). The hotel is basically clean and looked in decent repair. Just really Noisey to hear everyone around you. I think there is better places out there for your money.....

• Liked — decorations
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

We have stayed in Hilton for two nights. After we made our reservations, I read the reviews and got a bit scared. Well, it was fine. The hotel was good considering that it was in an affordable price range. The reality is the more you pay the better service quality you get. We did not have any problems with the staff. But we did not spent time in the hotel either. As some of the reviewers noted, the carpets in the corridors were terrible dirty and smelling really bad. Our room was good though, clean and comfortable. It was better than I expected.

We were in the first floor and did not hear anything except our second night a young lady was screaming, yelling and laughing very loudly. You can't blame the hotel for it I guess. Same kind of people were in the hotel's restaurant the only night we went there. They were old people and drunk and extremely laud. I was surprised that none of the staff there warned them. But they seem to be apologetic too. Our service was prompt and good in the bar.

I would recommend this hotel if you are on a budget and if you are there visit the wineries. In that case, you won't see much of the hotel. Why would you care

• Liked — it was close to the wineries we like to visit and the price of course!
  • Disliked — the carpet in the halls... it needs to be replaced!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

Just to set the record straight, I booked this hotel through the Hilton website as a Gold member and paid a reduced government rate, then selected my room/checked-in in advance through the HHonors website (pool-view room). The hotel consists of multiple detached wings spreading out from the main building, each three stories tall. The parking lot opens onto the 2nd floor, and the pool is on the 1st floor. Most rooms do not have nice views, except of the pool (half face the parking lot). The vast majority are 100 yards or more from the main building, and do not have a deck, so late-night partying would not affect most rooms. In other words, I think that if you book the hotel in a conventional way rather than Priceline, it's highly unlikely you will be bothered by a party at the main building. (Not that there's anything wrong with Priceline--I use them as well).
The rooms were clean, ample in size, and comfortable. Internet was free in the business office (3 terminals), or $10/day in the room (wireless). The sink is in the same room as the toilet and shower :-( . As another reviewer noted, the inner shower drape does cling to you as you shower. No fridge in the room, but another reviewer stated you can get one free for the asking. I never heard my neighbors to either side, or above or below (we were on the 2nd floor), but the noise does carry from the hallway (didn't end up being a problem). Make sure you're far from the ice maker, since it's really loud.
As an HHonors Gold member, the hot breakfast buffet was a $3 supplement over the Continental, except on Sundays when it was $6 extra due to an omlet station. As others have noted, the service was bad at the Nectar restaurant two of the three breakfasts we ate there. It was downright insulting on one of those two days: we were completely ignored until we went back to get the eggs we waited 15 mins for--then had our settings taken away within 20 seconds!
So I have no major complaints except that someone needs to give the restaurant employees a swift kick in the behind. A refrigerator in the room would also be nice, and I wish they had designed the rooms better to take advantage of views.

• Liked — Room comfort and amenities
  • Disliked — Lazy restaurant staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

My husband & I stayed here for 4 nights on our visit to Sonoma/Napa.

The location was perfect for us, since we were more interested in visiting wineries in the less commercialized Sonoma County than Napa. The hotel is right off of Highway 101, which is a main artery in Sonoma. It is also extremely close to gas stations, fast food (which we did for breakfast, so we could get on the road) and a Trader Joe's is only a few minutes away (which was great for picking up cheese, breads, dips and water for a picnic during our winery visits).

We stayed in the Chablis building, on the third floor. We had an end room, which was wonderful because it gave us an extra window. The room was very large - making our stay extremely comfortable. The king size bed was great & had plenty of pillows, there was also a little sitting area with two chairs and an ottoman, as well as a desk. The room was decorated in a country meets tuscan theme, done in reds, sage greens, and creams - it was lovely.

The staff here was very friendly. Upon checking into our room, we asked for a fridge and they brought one up right away, without a charge. We also had a problem with our toilet, and someone was sent up immediately.

The pool area is very pretty. There are tons of tables and loungers around. There is also plenty of parking.

Maid service was wonderful. We are not messy, but we returned every evening to a spotless room and towel art in the bathroom.

I had read reviews on here that people dealt with alot of noise. We did NOT have this problem at all. It was very quiet our whole stay.

The only thing my husband found about this hotel that was negative was the bar, Nectar. We had some of the worse service here. We went our first night and it was so bad, we did not return. We sat at the bar (where several other people were sitting with empty glasses) for 15 minutes before a bartender appeared to take our drink order - without an apology or anything. We had one drink and decided to leave. It was another 20 minutes before we were able to get the bartender to get our tab for us. What was even more crazy was that the place was NOT PACKED, so we were unsure of what the problem was.

Otherwise, we loved this property. It sat up on a hill, with beautiful views of Santa Rosa. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — The room, service, views
  • Disliked — The hotel's restaurant/bar
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Sonoma Wine Country? Share your experiences!