“Nice hotel EXCEPT” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Wine Country Inn & Suites

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Wine Country Inn & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Wine Country Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   870 Hopper Ave, Santa Rosa, CA 95403 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Santa Rosa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Asotin, WA
“Nice hotel EXCEPT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I have nothing negative to say about the hotel except that the cell service was non existant and I was there on business and needed my phone. In order to get service I had to carry my paperwork outside and stand in the parking lot. I felt like an absolute fool! Apparently the building is steel frame construction which interferes with the signal. I asked to be moved to an upper floor and was told no since I'd been put in a handicap room. I didn't ask for a handicap room, I was put there and since there were no handicap rooms on the second floor I was stuck. It made no sense to me since I'm not disabled!

Otherwise the rooms are great, except for a barking dog in the parking lot half the night and kids screaming late night and early morning. I'd stay again if I could have a upper room away from kids :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
WineCountryHotel, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Wine Country Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
I would like to thank TwistedToyLady for her review of our hotel. I apologize that you had dificulties with your cell service. With the exception of one smaller carrier, cell service is usually not an issue at the hotel, but as I use to have that carrier myself, I know it can be very frustrating. I would also like to explain why we couldn't move you to a different room. The accessable rooms are the last rooms sold unless someone requests an accessable room. We were completely sold out. As you were booked into the accessable room, and we have none on the second floor, and we had no other room types to move you to (as we were sold out), we were unable to move you to a second floor room. I hope this makes sence.
Please feel free to contact me directly when you plan on returning to our hotel, and I will personally make sure you get a second floor room. If you are still experiencing problems with your cell phone reception, I will give you a credit for long distance phone calls. Local calls are free, so hopefully this will take care of that issue.
Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Todd Anderson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Recently purchased from another chain, this hotel is upgrading its facilities. The suites are enormous. You are close to Healdsburg, wineries, and the city of Santa Rosa. The prices were less than competitive hotels; the breakfast very adequate; and the staff exceptional. There was a mixup on the three rooms I booked (due to a Travelocity error) and the desk clerk took it in stride and provided rooms for all of us at a busy time of year. Still some transition issues: lights burned out, instructions for jacuzzi missing, odd placement of furniture (bed was put in diagonally so one couldn't reach lamp on either side without getting up); etc. But the appearance is pleasant and our stay was enjoyable.

Room Tip: Check the hotel web site. We found a special rate during transition.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I agree the previous positive customer feedback and would like to add that it is a great place for people travelling with pets, too. There is a pet area complete with doggy cleanup bags. Wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011
WineCountryHotel, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Wine Country Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
I would like to thank both kellibl and thefinn9 for their kind words. We have been working very hard to improve our hotel and services, and when people tell us about their experiences, it makes it all worth while.
Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you both next time you are in the area.
Keller, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

Really clean and very friendly staff. Our room was absolutely perfect. We werent expecting plush and luxury accomodations, because we werent paying that kind of price. We were very pleased and surprised at how nice everything was. The hot breakfast was good and the coffee was excellent. Overall and in detail, there just isnt anything a reasonable person should be disappointed in. I'd glad pick this hotel again.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed equally desirable.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
santa cruz, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed here over 4th of July weekend for 3 nights. It was overall a very pleasant stay and I’d recommend the hotel. We got a discounted rate because the hotel just re-opened (it used to be Holiday Inn), so it was affordable, though normally prices are significantly higher—it would still be worth it if you can afford it though. It is also a good, convenient, and safe location.

The rooms and grounds are very clean, nice looking and well-maintained. In the room, a microwave and slightly larger-than-average mini fridge were great. The lobby is large and comfortable. The pool area looked good and the fitness center was great except the A.C. did not work in there and it was 90+ degrees, so really too hot in there to work out much. I hope they fix that soon.

I got the feeling this was one of the more crowded weekends they’ve had since they re-opened 4 months ago and hopefully it will give them some hints about what to improve in the future. For example, one morning they were entirely out of towels in the whole hotel! Please buy more towels for goodness sake! Also the patio outside our room was nice, and there is a pretty fountain right nearby, but not a single chair to sit on the patio which kind of defeats the point. Also there were cigarette butts in the planters out there, guess they don’t clean those.

The breakfast bar was better than the average continental breakfast, though don’t expect restaurant quality food or anything, more like instant powdered eggs and soggy microwaved hash browns. Good variety of foods though. Unfortunately the breakfast room was a mob scene and they were contstantly running out of items, the poor staff attendant would finally bring out like 6 more hashbrown patties that would be snatched up by the hungry wolves in 30 seconds, then she’d go drag out a bit more of something else. I think once again this is an issue that they were not used to the hotel being filled to capacity, and hopefully in the future they will be more prepared.

The customer service was about average or maybe slightly higher (except when I asked about the AC in the fitness room and the lack of towels the person at the desk was not at all apologetic about these problems, her attitude was more like “oh well, deal with it”). However the next day the same desk person was very helpful and printed directions for me off the internet.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
WineCountryHotel, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Wine Country Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
I would like to thank aurabelle for her very kind words, and her constructive criticisms. I am thrilled that the rooms and grounds were clean and that you felt our location was convenient and safe. While the transition from Holiday Inn Express to Best Western Plus has been a relatively smooth one, I think you managed to touch on most of the bumps along the way.
There is indeed an issue with the air conditioning in the fitness room which my contractor assures me will be taken care of by the end of the week. Apparently towels are very popular this time of year as many of ours have disappeared and their replacements have been back ordered. The towels arrived yesterday and I will order their replacements this week to ensure this problem is not duplicated.
The Fourth of July weekend was a VERY busy one for us. Although it was a nice problem to have, it was definitely a learning experience for us. Among other solutions we are considering for the breakfast bar are extending our breakfast bar hours so hopefully not everyone shows up at the same time. We are also looking into purchasing an additional convection oven so we can cook more items at the same time.
Again, thank you for your kind words and for recommending us, I truly hope you are able to come see us again in the near future.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We spent a saturday night here and found it a very comfortable place to stay after a long day. Easy check-in, good clean and comfortable rooms, with no hidden charges for parking or internet which I find so annoying at other hotels
My wife forgot her medicine in the room when we left and after contacting the hotel they fed-exed the package to our hotel in LA 2 days latter - I was amazed s I did not expect this to happen. Well done to all the staff at Best Western Wine Country Inn & Suites.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

Let's start by saying if you need to stay in Santa Rosa, look nowhere else but the Best Western Wine Country Inn! The newly renovated property brings more than just modern, up to date aesthetics, but a warm and comforting experience. As a hotelier, I find that there is a difference between staying at a hotel that actually wants to invest into the property to make the experience a good one for its' guests, versus a property that is just interested in maintaining a high occupancy rate. Todd and his exceptional crew made are definitely striving to exceed expectations. They even had fresh baked cookies at the front desk to greet me! My room was clean and refreshing after a long day of traveling. (Ahhh, just what I needed.)

Very reasonable rates and offers everything you need. I enjoyed the exercise room before getting ready to head downtown and enjoy a bite to eat.

Do yourself a favor and check this place out. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: This is my go-to spot when in Santa Rosa!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Wine Country Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!