“Nice Service at a Good Price” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel La Rose
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   308 Wilson St., Santa Rosa, CA 95401   |
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Los Gatos, CA
“Nice Service at a Good Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2007

My husband, nine year old son and I stayed for two nights in a room in the Carriage House. Everyone at the front desk is very cheerful and helpful. They helped us bring a ton of lugguage to our room very quickly.
Our room was fine, but nothing special. It was dated (1980's) and It was very dark. We were on the ground floor and there was only one small window where you could open the drapes. Unfortunately, when you opened the drapes, everyone could see right in. I would ask to stay upstairs next time where there would be more privacy.
The bedding was above average with soft sheets and a down comforter with lots of pillows. We had a king and a queen bed, and there was still a lot of room.
The bathroom was pretty good size, but needed updating. The towels were above average. We had a broken toilet which eventually overflowed, but they fixed it right away.
The location is great. We could walk to dinner at Syrah or to two cute coffee houses.
For the price, the stay is pleasant and the staff very nice. With some renovation, this could be a top spot.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The dated decor
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2007

We stayed March 11-14th and had a nice stay. The hotel is a great value for the location and the amenities. We read the other reviews before booking and agree with most. The room was nice, but a little loud in the morning with the highway construction. We didn't interact much with the staff, but they did give us a great place to use to ship our wine. Only downside was with the restaurants in town. We ate at the Italian restaurant and Syrah and both were good, but beyond that there wasn't much available. The French restaurant was closed the 2 nights we tried and Josefs didn't seem to have much to offer.

Best place to try is Aroma Roasters across the street - great coffee, tea and snacks!

• Liked — Comfortable Room
  • Disliked — Decor
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Annapolis, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2007

I booked this hotel directly with the hotel because of their "$100/night" special. I asked for a quiet room on a high floor away from the street, and that is what they provided. Our room, which was very quiet (I don't think I ever heard an outside sound when I was in it, even though there were plenty of people staying while we were there) was on the fourth floor of the main building and had a little patio. Even though there is night road work going on Rte. 101, it was quiet in our room and we slept well. The king bed was extremely comfortable, the staff extremely helpful with suggestions for wine tours (including very helpful and detailed maps), and the included breakfast very good and always fresh and plentiful. Shower had excellent water pressure and temperature control. As other reviewers have noted, the complimentary glass of wine at Josef's and the free parking are other nice perks with this hotel. We did not try Josef's for dinner due to other plans, but did enjoy dixieland jazz at the Last Day Saloon (down the block from the hotel) and had excellent omelettes at breakfast one day with family at the Omelette Express a block over. There are other very appealing looking restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel, and the mall, with a Macy's, Sears, etc, is a short walk or drive away. Wifi reception was not good in our room, but was excellent in the lobby of the hotel.

Stayed March 2007
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2007

My husband and I decided to take a short trip to the Sonoma valley wineries during the "slow time" after visiting 6 years ago in May. We noticed the lovely historic hotel at that time on the square and decided to check into it because of it's location. The location is absolutely perfect- we did the North Valley one day and visited Dry Creek, Alexander Valley, and the Russian river areas and then the next day we did the South Valley- starting at Los Carneros, Glenn Ellen, Kenwood and Sonoma making our way back to Santa Rosa.
We stayed in the Carriage house located across the street from the hotel in one of the larger rooms on the upper level. The room decor was a little on the romantic side, but my husband didn't mind one bit. The bathroom was lovely and very large. If you like antiques you'll love the closet.

I think what made our experience the best by far was the service. Every single employee made us feel like they were sincerely glad to have us as guests. I've never been treated so well, my husband also sang the praises of Janet at the front desk- she was absolutely one of the best sources of information and took the time to tell us about some special wineries off the beaten path. We've been to Napa several times and wanted to see the real country side. Janet was the best. I forgot to charge my cell phone before we left and Janet saved us a trip to the Sprint store and probably at least $30 by helping us search through left-behind charger cords. Yes, we found one to fit and my cell was back to the full 3 bars again for my trip back home alone. The husband was staying in SF for business.
I must say, the service and breakfast were way above expectations.
If you're in the area make sure you also stop in LaCoco's Italian restaurant around the corner for some of the very best food within walking distance. Go early if you want a table, the locals also know about this place. We also went to Sryrah's also within walking distance....a little overpriced for the quality of food in my opinion, but my husband liked it.
If you want great service- in a charming historic hotel give it a try. We had a wonderful experience and will go back again someday.

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — having to cross a busy street for parking which wasn't that bad
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Owings Mills, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Hotel La Rose in celebration of our one-year anniversary. We booked a room in the Carriage House, it is across the street the the main hotel. The room was quite large. The bed was beautifully made with nice linens and a warm down comforter. The bathroom was also quite large. My only complaint was the bathroom was quite cold, but's that's only due to the bathroom floors and walls being marble. I would recommend keeping the door leading into the bathroom open, to help warm the floors. We attended the Winter in Wineland event this past weekend. Hotel La Rose is a great location, close to many wineries and restaurants. The breakfast provided by the hotel is nice. It's a quick way to grab a bite to eat before hitting the wineries. The staff at Hotel La Rose is wonderful. We had requested some information about some local restaurants for our anniversary dinner. She quickly printed the menus, we reviewed, and she was kind enough to make the reservation for us. Overall I would highly recommend Hotel La Rose!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2007

most reviews of the hotel have been spot on. the employees at the front desk and breakfast room were fantastic and very friendly and helpful they gave us a 15% off coupon for the in house restaurant and complimentary wine. they also gaev us good maps to the wineries where we used our 2 for 1 and free high end wines. so far so good.

the room was def a nice way to spend the night. the bed is a very nice sized king and the heater worked great during the freezing nights in santa rosa.

the only down side was the breakfast they served. had we known we would have snuggled all day until checkout. the food was some what limited. the major flaw was no non-fat milk. food was very simple and i was disappointed.

but i would stil recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice place to stay while wine tasting.

Stayed January 2007
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2007

I stayed two nights at the La Rose over the weekend and loved every second of it. I arrived at about 4pm on a Friday, was checked in quickly and given a voucher for myself and a guest to have free glasses of wine. They also included a coupon for 15% off on dinner at their wonderful restaurant, Josef's, where I was meeting a large group of friends for dinner. A "European-style" breakfast is included in the rate, and it reminded me of being in Venice: Salami, ham, salmon, breads, bagels and rolls, cream cheese, hard-boiled eggs, creals, yogurt, etc. Very nice. My only complaint would be that the roll was a tiny bit stale.

My room was charming and spacious (standard queen room), with a lovely marble bathroom that had a Victorian style toilet with the tank way up high. Nice toiletries were included, there was an iron and board, a hairdryer and a wardrobe with the TV, extra pillows and a small bit of space to hang clothes. There was a tray with coffee making supplies on the table in the main room, and also several nice books about the region. The bed and pillows were among the most comfortable of any hotel in which I have stayed, with lovely toile linens. I didn't experience any problems with noise, nor did I meet up with the ghost that allegedly lives at the hotel.

The only issue I had was that the room, because of a heating and A/C problem, was too hot, and the A/C blew warm air into the room. I was offered a chance to change rooms, but said that since I had settled in, I'd like to see if opening the windows helped. It did, and I was comfortable for the duration of the stay. How nice to stay in a hotel with working windows!

Then staff was wonderful both at the hotel and in the restaurant. They really make you feel like they value your business and want you to come back. I will do so next time I am visiting friends in Santa Rosa, and I would highly recommend the Hotel La Rose!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy all the freebies and discounts this hotel offers--it makes for a great value an a charming location!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel La Rose? Share your experiences!