“Cool old building in a great Santa Rosa location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel La Rose
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   308 Wilson St., Santa Rosa, CA 95401   |
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Oakland, California
“Cool old building in a great Santa Rosa location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Spent a night at the Hotel La Rose, a 1907 stone building that is now a nice hotel. We had a large room in the original building, very comfortable. It isn't like a modern room, it has old wooden doors, high ceilings and wainscoting. But very comfortable, clean, and a decent value at $129 in the wine country. And they allowed a one-night-only stay, which can also be challenging up there. Breakfast included, not fancy but good. And right off Fourth Street, so good local restaurants, coffee bars all very close walking distance. There are even a few thrift stores around the corner if you care.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff W, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Mark,

Thank you for staying with us recently at the Hotel La Rose. I am happy that you found our historic property to be clean, comfortable and suited to your needs. Thanks for mentioning our complimentary breakfast buffet and our convenient downtown location. Please come back and see us again soon.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Santa Maria, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My advice is to spend the extra money and stay at the Hyatt. Even though I made my reservation two or three weeks in advance for a room in the main hotel when we got there they didn't have the room I had requested so they put us in the carriage house, not at all the same as the main hotel. The clerk said "oh, you must have made your reservation online". Why have a website if you don't want people to use it?We had to wait 30 minutes for the room to be cleaned even though we had arrived a little after 3:00 pm. Their breakfast is the same thing that is served at Holiday Inn, we were expecting much better. When I checked out the clerk did not ask if I enjoyed my stay or even tell me to have a nice day. We sure won't be going back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I'm sure I'll be back to La Rose, I love the location, the friendly customer service, clean and because it was my second time staying here, I asked for the carriage house and although the rooms are small, you get the little patio or balcony that I like to use either to have breakfast (nice coffee shop across the street) or sit after a day of walking around and have a glass of awesome Californian wine.

Room Tip: Carriage House a lot better than the Main House, quieter and just better
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Naira G, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued.We very much appreciate your positive comments regrarding you last stay.Our staff are very much dedicated to providing exceptional customer service for every guest, every time.

We are also so glad to hear that your stay was satisfactory and you had a good time.

I would like to thank you once again on behalf of Hotel La Rose and hope to see you soon.

Ross, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

My bride and I were in Santa Rosa for our 44th anniversary and stayed at Hotel La Rose

The Good News:
Located in Railroad Square and close to a killer vintage shop (Hot Couture Vintage Fashion, both women's and men's clothes), a nice italian restaurant LoCoCo's, a killer French restaurant, La Gare, and a wonderful early Sixties style breakfast and lunch place Omelette Express. Lots of parking in their own lot about a block away.

We chose a Jr Suite Room and it was wonderful.. a small entry room and a big room with a small covered porch and a big bathroom right off the room. The room had a very comfortable king size bed and tons of pillows along with a couch, a desk, and a chair/table set up. It was too bad that the only place that you could watch the TV was from the bed. But in 1907 they weren't designing rooms with TV in mind! The furnishings were up to date but gave off an antique feel. Overall, very nice!

The Bad News
They used to have a bar and full restaurant. No more. We went down for breakfast on the first morning and it felt like being in a motel 6 with self-service breakfast with no "hot" options. We just walked a block to the Omelette House and had lattes and H U G E breakfasts like two eggs over easy, thick slice of ham, and either potato or veg and break or English Muffin for about 11 bucks. Also good lattes served in classic glass containers. Ok, we had to be as dressed as if we were going downstairs to breakfast. And the gals that served the food were universally competent and really friendly. Like diners USED to be "back in the day." and the service and the food came up F A S T.

Structurally Hotel La Rose is a "hotel" but amenity-wise, it's not up to what one would expect for a 21st century "hotel" should have. e.g. the wireless was spotty, probably my ownly GRUMP.

We enjoyed our stay and hope to go back soon. We'll just reset our original expectations and go there and enjoy ourselves! You should too..

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Naira G, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for spending your time to give us a kind feedback on your recent stay.

Your nice comments and your loyalty is well appreciated.I'm so glad and pleased that you enjoyed our location. Please be assured that all of our guests experiences are important to us and we do our best to ensure they have a memorable experience when staying with us , We appreciate the feedback our guests provide us with, so that we are able to pursue our goal to provide the highest quality service and experience to our guests., we certainly hope you will choose to stay with us in the future the next time you are in Santa Rosa.

Lodi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Had Travelzoo special for $69/night. First night unpleasant because ac not work properly . Staff did all they could to accommodate us and provided us free upgraded room second night. Buffet breakfast was sufficient, but early hours 7-9. Hotel located near shops and restaurants, but also close to homeless shelter. No problems though. Would stay again with special deal .

• Stayed May 2014
Naira G, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback on your recent stay at Hotel La Rose. It is always our intent for our guests to feel special and well cared for, and I was glad to know the staff provided personal and instinctive service.

I have noted with concern your comments with regards to air-conditioning of your room which did not meet your expectations. The matter has been taken up on a priority basis action has been initiated. My team and I look forward to meet you in person on your next visit to the hotel.

Thank you again for your input. If I may be of any further service to you please do not hesitate to contact me.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

This was my third stay at La Rose and my first in the Carriage House. The rooms are a little old but spotlessly clean and I really liked having the little balcony to sit out in the evenings and do my work. The location is about as good as it gets in Santa Rosa. The only downside was the customer service. When I visited around this time last year the people on the front desk were great. This time they seemed to try to put in as little effort as possible. I dealt with 3 different girls and none of them seemed to care. They weren't rude or unhelpful but weren't friendly and didn't seem at all inclined to do more than bare minimum. It was the difference between 4 and 5 to me..

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Naira G, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for your very detailed review and for giving us a 4 star review! We do appreciate your feedback, we use this as a tool for future guests. We are glad that for the most part you were very pleased with your stay. As you mentioned in your review, our hotel location is good. I will personally look into the customer service issues you experienced to ensure that does not occur to you or future guests. We look foward to having you back....

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Full disclosure, this review is regarding the horrible customer service from Silda that myself and friends have received prior to our stay at Hotel La Rose. With the customer service aside Hotel La Rose is a very nice and quaint hotel but my current experience makes me hesitant to ever stay with them again.

I would like to be connected to management to remedy the situation but so far I have been told she is unavailable and there is no direct contact listed on their website.

To give you some context, I am very familiar with Hotel La Rose as in my previous work as an Event Manager I often recommended Hotel La Rose to clients who wanted to extend their stay in the area. I have also suggested that my good friend block rooms for her wedding this August, which she did without issue. And I hoped to do the same for my wedding this October. So when a dear friend of my was planning her last minute wedding for this May I suggested she let her family know that Hotel La Rose was a very good option. As of today there are about 10-15 people from the wedding party staying at Hotel La Rose for her wedding on May 24th (not booked through a room block).

The problem started when my friend called and spoke with Silda. She was not planning on staying the night before her wedding because we live locally but simply requested an early check-in for her wedding. Immediately I would think there would be some preferential treatment given to a bride who has filled multiple rooms at this hotel for her wedding. Silda, in a very unfriendly and rude manner told my friend it was not possible and the bride would have to call back the day of her wedding to see if she could check-in early.

When I heard this I was very upset because I had recommended Hotel La Rose to my friend. So instead of making an issue out of it I decided I would book another night on Friday for my friend so she would not have to deal with calling the day of her wedding for an early check-in. I booked online and then called to see if I could possibly join my two reservations for Friday and Saturday night. I have a 2 bed room booked on Friday and a 1 bed room booked on Saturday. I requested that my reservations be joined and that we have 2 beds for both nights. Silda, in the most RUDE and HOSTILE manner said this was not possible and I would have to check-out and check back in despite the fact that I have paid for a two night stay.

Since Silda was unwilling to work with me I offered another possible solution to the problem and asked if it would be possible to extend our check-out to 1:30pm instead of noon. Again, I was met with rude hostility. Silda, said "No, you will have to call back the morning of." So to be very clear, I said to her despite that I have referred friends to Hotel La Rose, despite the fact that it is a request for the bride, despite the fact that I have booked two nights, despite the fact our group has multiple rooms booked we are out of luck and nothing can be done? In the most terrible tone Silda said, "Yes, that is what I am saying, you are out of luck." In all of my years working with various hotels I have never experienced such HORRIBLE customer service.

Everything from her tone of voice to her complete inability to try to accommodate our situation was unacceptable. I completely understand that there is less flexibility when a hotel is fully booked but I also know that there is noway that given our unique situation that there is not some small exception that can be made to remedy this situation. A customer should not be the one trying to come up with solutions.

Again I want to reiterate I understand that it might not be possible to join my reservation and have a room with 2 beds on both nights because all rooms with 2 beds may be booked but to have no other alternatives except to make a bride on her wedding day pack all of her items up and leave her bags at reception and be without a room to relax in before she leaves for her wedding is just poor form. Very disappointing. I will try calling back at another time of day to try to get in touch with the manager, hopefully the other person in Silda's position is not as rude and unfriendly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Naira G, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for your letter. I would like to express my appreciation for bringing this matters to our attention. I am sorry that we failed to demonstrate our ability to provide the proper levels of service and hospitality. Your feedback is quite valuable in that it enables us to correct and improve, thus helping to ensure that all guests are properly satisfied.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Rose in the very near future at which time I hope to have the privilege of making your personal acquaintance. In the meantime, if may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me 707 579 3200.

Naira Ghazaryan

Been to Hotel La Rose? Share your experiences!